Running

Options
Recently I've decided that I want to try a bit of running but I don't have any experience doing it so I'd like some beginners advice, please!
Also, I don't know what to wear/bring with me. Because I haven't done it before, I don't have any fancy gear and I'm also a bit reluctant to buy it now in case I don't enjoy running. My biggest concern atm is where to put my phone, keys and iPod.
Finally, one of the things that has put me off running before is being very self conscious, I never really exercise in public, how can I get over this?

Replies

• awakencordy
    awakencordy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i recently started running too (my second week, actually!) and what advice i can give you is, don't start running right away. you have to start slow by slow and i'm not saying this as "run for 20 minutes for starters". run for A MINUTE in the first day, in between walking laps.

there are programs for this, i'm using 5k runner app from ios, (yellow app icon when you search it) and there are a lot of similar apps like that. if you follow them, they ease you into it slowly and your body adapts nicely.

about your things, armbands are so cool http://image.dhgate.com/albu_250349641_00-1.0x0/elastic-rubber-sports-running-arm-band-armband.jpg things like these have also pockets for your keys.

about self conscious thing, pump up the volume and run "with it", try to focus on music, (spotify has amazing playlists for that) and it kinda helps me, i dont feel that stupid anymore and when your body learns to run, you get confident :D
  • hllday
    hllday Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I had all these concerned when I started running (and still do on occasion) and I just want to say congratulations on deciding to start; it is a bit daunting, but you'll get there (:

You don't need a bunch of fancy gear to begin with, just a loose, comfortable t-shirt and some shorts or leggings. Trainers can be upgraded to running shoes if you decide to carry on past a couple of months, and the only real must is a sports bra!

I personally take an iPod shuffle out with me as it has a belt clip (and they're about £25, so it's not the end of the world if I lose it) but if I want to run outside I would either take an arm band, or have shorts with built in zipper pockets.

As for the judgement - Screw those people!! I always listen to some pumped up music before I go out/during my run to really make myself feel good, and then I have the 'what are you staring at? I'm doing something awesome for my body so you can get lost' attitude the whole time. If someone stares at you, stare right back or hold your head up high and ignore them; after all, you're doing something amazing and they're just being gross.

Good luck!
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    First of all I would look at down loading the NHS Couch to 5K app, its fantastic and helps you to run 5k in 8-9 weeks. Don't worry about what to wear, I usually go out in a pair of cropped jog pants and a vest top. The only thing I bought at first was a pouch, that straps around my waist to put my phone in as I have the couch to 5k app on my phone, it also has room for keys etc. I don't take any water with me as at the minute I am only out for about 30 minutes, but I do have a good drink before I go and when I come back. If you can find a place where other runners go then you won't feel so self conscious as everyone is doing the same thing, also you are too busy concentrating on landing your feet properly so you don't get injured and your breathing. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the running. I love it and find I can't wait for my next one.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running?hl=so+you+want+to+start+running

This will answer most, if not all, if your questions! Good luck and have fun!
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I started running this year and had all the same concerns:

What to wear - leggings / trackie bottoms and a t shirt. Any trainers will do to begin with. You can buy the fancy stuff later if you stick with it. Also recommend a good sports bra!

Keys / phone - I see you're in London, do you have a Sports Direct near you? They do waist belts which will hold these and they are under a fiver. Although at first I just held my phone and keys.

Being self conscious - if you want go out early or somewhere quiet where there won't be many people. But sometimes its just best to get it over with. I remember being so so embarrassed when I went past someone, but then I realised that they don't care what you are doing. And the more you do it, the less self conscious you will be.

I highly recommend one of the 5k running apps or programmes. I used 5K runner on my iphone but there are lots of different ones available. There is also a Couch to 5K group here on MFP which is great for support and advice.

Good luck!
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Great advice so far! Id say the same as the others, comfy clothes, definitely a sports bra. Tho i would recommend leggings with a drawstring because i spent my first couple of runs holding up my leggings!! Primark do a great range of fitness clothes for under £10 and their leggings have a drawstring, a pocket at the back for a key and money, and reflective stripes which really made me feel the part, which helps greatly with the confidence issue. Primark and the pound shop sell running water bottles which are split so they are easier to hold if you want to take water, (a must if you are running in the heat). And I always stretch my legs afterwards, tho some people feel it isn't necessary, especially on short runs, but i have health problems with my legs and back, and stretching seems to help me be less sore the next day. Good luck and have fun :)
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    the best advice is to have a look at the C25K plan, there are loads of different way to do it but it all boils down to the same program, it doesn't matter if you use and app or podcasts they all do the same thing

personally i prefer the NHS podcasts to start with as they come with some nice encouragement

when i started i went to sports direct and got a pair of running shoes for £15 and used them until they didn't cut it anymore

i use an arm band to keep my phone with me and just wear shorts and a t-shirt, i know there are a lot of women out there who just keep their ipod tucked into their sports bra so thats a nice cheap option for you

most of all just remember to take it slowly
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    Well as someone who was recently in the same boat as a few of you a year ago here's my advice

Splash out on a half decent pair of running shoes! Do not run in normal trainers. Started this myself ( admittedly I have funny shaped feet and need special ski boots etc etc) and hurt my feet and ankles and wasn't able to run consistently!!

You don't necessarily need to get the shoes fitted. Read the descriptions online, look for decent support and cushioning!
    A £40-£80 pair of shoes is more than enough if they're properly designed for running!!

Start off slow. ( I use an app on my phone to track time/distance/pace/calories burned called Runkeeper,provides a handy gps map of where you run as well). Don't worry about overall distance or overall time just now though.

Run 1 day and have 1 day off. Maybe three times a week if you're up to it!
    I found doing it this way helped.

Run for 1 Minute , rest for 2 minutes and repeat this 10 times.
    Every week add 30 secs/ 1 minute to your run time ( keep rest time the same)
    So on Week 2/ Run 4 you should be running for 2 Minutes then resting for 2
    Week 3 Run 7 . Running for 3 Resting for 2

If at any point you struggle to get the running time up, lower the amount you raised it by. So instead of upping it to running for two minutes. Up it to run for 1 minute 30 seconds.

Avoid hills.

Hills are bad. ( for beginners)
    For beginner runners you'll be using muscles that haven't really been stressed this way before. Running up hills adds a whole new level of stress to these muscles and a variety of other muscles as well. Start the uphill runs once you already have an established base fitness of running

Schedule.
    Make it a set time or day each week where you're gonnah run no matter what.
    Consistency is the key.

Nutrition
    Carbs may have been preached to you as being the devil. But if you wanna run and still feel like you have a soul youl need em!
    Bananas, rice, pasta. Eat the hell out of this **** on run days!
    Drink your body weight in Water. Trust me. ( or you know, a lot of water anyway!)

Music
    Don't have it so loud you cant hear your breathing. You'll end up breathing funny and being more out of breath than you should be.

Self conscious? Don't be. I started off as a fairly large guy running. Still fairly large but running further and faster. If I see someone running now I want to shout encouragement as I know what they're going through hah!
    Anybody that's worth a damn will egg you on and respect you for what you're doing! No matter your pace or time or if you have to stop or not!

Any questions then feel free to ask me (:
  • InFitRealm
    InFitRealm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Good luck with your running experience.

I used c25k as a start but some of people here also mentioned zombie run as an alternative. Check them and decide which one suits you best. The good thing about both programs is that you increase your distance/time of running gradually. So they basically teach you to run. They also may have apps to choose that will help you in recording your progress.

I'm not into buying many gadgets as well. They are not needed. They may add some convenience, but the prices are sometimes ridiculous. And what if you won't pick up running? You will spend money and all of the fancy stuff will just gather dust in your closet. The only thing I would advise to take a look are shoes. They don't have to be expensive, but are needed to avoid any injury.

Phone you can keep in your pocket. Keys are not convenient as they rattle too much. You may keep them in hand and bind them on leash.

And when it comes to exercise in public. Well, this is something you would have to overcome. Remember that while you are running you pass people rather quickly, so no one would have a chance to stare at you :). They will simply stay behind you. And nowadays you have so many runners, that it's not so unusal sight anymore.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily need to get the shoes fitted. Read the descriptions online, look for decent support and cushioning!
    A £40-£80 pair of shoes is more than enough if they're properly designed for running!!

Given that a fitting is generally free then it's worth doing it, there are three main types of road shoe with different characteristics that are appropriate to different types of gait.

Note that cushioned shoes and supportive shoes do different things, and are at opposite ends of the suitability spectrum.

That said, I would support the C25K suggestions but would also say that for the first half of that programme one doesn't need special running shoes. Beyond that point it's well worth investing in them, and keeping them dedicated to running only.

Personally I used the NHS C25K podcasts, and ran Runkeeper in parallel with that to track my progress.

As far as the early runs are concerned, just keep the keys and phone in a pocket, but again about half way through the plan it may be worth a running belt or armband to hold them.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I used c25k as a start but some of people here also mentioned zombie run as an alternative.

Zombies is the same as C25K as far as the run/ walk interval progression is concerned. It just wraps it up with a storyline, which is fine if you need that external motivation, rather than just being able to go out and run.
  • LarrySweat
    Options
    As a runner with ALL the fancy gear, let me say this - you don't need it.

My three cents, echoing many other posters:
    - Do get good running shoes. Go to a running store and let them fit you. Trainers from the department store will lead to injuries.
    - I prefer a waist pack over an arm band for my phone/keys/whatever.
    - I used, and thousands of other people have been successful with the Couch to 5K program.

And one idea that I don't see listed:
    - Sign up for a race about 12 weeks from now. I know, it sounds scary, but (1) it's motivation to not skip your planned runs, (2) it'll be a healthy reward for all your hard work, and (3) I promise you won't be the last to finish!

Good luck! Running is the key to my success. It (obviously) burns the calories. It also helps keep me sane
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I would try downloading C25k or "ease into 5k" app, if you iPod has apps.

And also looking into buying a running belt, I think you can get them for really cheap online or a sports shop. Mine was about £5 and I use it every time I go running, it has zip pockets and it carries my phone, keys and also has holders for water.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You sound exactly like me. I hate having people see me exercise as well. I lose all confidence when I see someone who is a million times more fit than I am doing what I am doing a million times better. The thing that works for me is going to the gym when I know very few people will be there. Then I go upstairs and use the track and usually it is pretty empty. The only 'gear' I think you need is an armband to hold your key and your mp3 player.

Something of this nature
    http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Running-Armband-Compatible-iPhone®/dp/B004I51GNI
    They don't cost very much.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You're getting great advice. C25K and Zombies, Run! are great apps. I've used both - and am currently using Zombies, Run because I think it's fun to run with a mission. :) If you have a fanny pack, you can put your keys and things in those and run, though some people dislike the bounce. There are special arm bands and torso packs that can be used, and even using a pair of running short with zippered pockets (if you can find them) can be helpful. When I was in the Army, many folks had lanyards with a pouch around their necks and ran with those... Arm bands are fairly inexpensive, though. I use mine not only during runs but also when house cleaning and gardening if I'm listening to my music or a book and don't have pockets. I completely understand not wanting to buy gear if you aren't sure you'll actually use it long term, though. I had the same reservations, so I ended up hand carrying my phone when I ran. Carrying it really detracted from my enjoyment of the run, though. So after a few weeks I found my old arm band and started using that.

Good luck running. Remember - take it easy, start slow. Even on days when you don't feel like doing it, get out there and do it anyway. I have NEVER come away from a run wishing I had stayed home vegging on the couch. I always feel great after, even if I didn't feel great starting out. Running is therapy and exercise all rolled into one. :)
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've been running since 2006 and had a great boss who encouraged me to move up from 3-mile elliptical sessions to actually running half marathons. Based on what I have experienced, here is what I would suggest:

The shoes are the most important part of the equation. Step barefoot on a wet washcloth and then on brown paper. Draw around your footprint with a Sharpie and go to the "Shoe Dog" website. This will walk you through a few questions which will then help pick the right shoe for you. Print out the list of brands/models and take it with you to a shoe store to be fitted. http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp

Find comfortable running clothes, especially shorts that do not chafe. Do not run in cotton. Find wicking material in various colors that will get you seen by drivers. If you plan to run dawn/dusk, a reflective belt might come in handy.

Tunes... some people love to run to music and some don't. It can be dangerous running with music so loud you can't hear traffic around you, plus it helps to hear your breathing. Personally, if I MUST listen to music (which is rare), I use the speakers on my phone/music player to listen to tunes without headphones.

Start slowly. The Smart Coach feature on RunnersWorld that can produce a calendar that safely increases your mileage and running speed over weeks/months, depending on your goal. There are a lot of apps out there also that do the same thing.

Look for a local running group you can join and find fellow runners to insprire you and encourage you.

Don't starve yourself. Running takes energy, so simply track the calories burned (roughly 150 calories/mile for a 180lbs person) and make sure you account for that in your daily menu plan.

Have fun! You are going to feel frustrated in how tired you get and out of breath. It will take time to built stamina. Simply enjoy the time outdoors while you run and take in the scenery.

Good Luck!!!