Activity Levels??

Options
I have been thinking of changing my activity level, and there seems to be a lot of back and forth on this in the forums.

I had it set to sedentary, which I mean honestly may have been under to begin with, but now I have a part time job. The only thing holding me back is the small amount of hours. When not working, I cook and clean and do normal daily things, but I also watch TV and do the internet thing for a while.

If you worked 24 hours a week, stacking and stocking ice cream, cleaning the lot, and generally running around, would you change it? ..and if so, should I continue logging my walks? I am always surprised at how slow MapMyWalk says my pace is, but apparently that means I walk slowly. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Well whatever you set your activity level, if you're doing basic MFP the idea is still to log your workouts separately and eat those calories back. If you felt your activity was under to begin with then yes, lightly active could make sense. But if it were me I'd ask why make the change? Are you losing too fast as it is, do you feel like you'd like some more calories to eat per day? Otherwise I'd say if it ain't broke, why change it?

Another option you could explore is the activity tracker (FitBit?) angle, and just have it count all this activity for you, especially since you seem a bit concerned that the activity may be intermittent
  • InFitRealm
    InFitRealm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Unfortunatelly the MyFitnessPal is not that accurate in setting calorie goals vs your acitivity. You have to assess your goal and see if the MFP create a correct proposal for you.

E.g. in my case, I selected the lowest activity level as I work by the desk 8 hours. I also clean/cook and generaly try to "move" but I figured that sitting 8 hours determines the lowest one.
    However MFP told me to eat not more than 1200 kcal. For me it's too little. I want to lose only about 15 lbs and didn't want to mess up my metabolism or give too little nutritions. Also I was affraid that if I lose my weight too quickly, then it will come back with yoyo effect. So I've changed it to eat 1400 kcal at least and I'm still losing. The only stop in progress is my fault or twist of fate (sick and cannot exercise/ meeting with friends and not eating at my deficit then etc.).
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Losing 2 lbs per week requires a daily deficit of 1000 calories. Losing 1 lb per week requires 500. If your maintenance calories are not high enough to keep your daily net calories above 1200, MFP still won't go below that. If MFP is giving you 1200 calories, you're either very small already, or entered too large of a weekly weight loss target. This can be related to your activity level since a more active person does need more calories throughout the day, but a sedentary person still needs to click the right buttons during their MFP account setup to select an appropriate weekly weight loss weight for their current size

With 15 lbs to lose weekly target should be more like 1 lb per week at most. I have around that much more weight to lose and I do .5 lb per week
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Ive changed my activity level back to slightly active from active I am a mum to 3 and on my feet a lot but I wasn't losing weight so I don't log my cardio workout I just leave it to account for activity and I log all my other workouts like boxing and ea sports etc
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this is of any use, I have downloaded a free pedometer app to try and gauge my activity level

Steps Per Day Activity Level
    <5,000 Sedentary
    5,000 - 7,499 Low active
    7,500 - 9,999 Somewhat active
    >10,000 Active
    >12,500 Highly active

I think these would be before exercise - if i'm wrong please can someone correct me :)
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've linked my "Runkeeper" app to my MFP account now, and so far this week - i've burnt 1501 calories just from walking and hiking in the woods!

I walk my dog every day for at least 50 mins before work and then I walk to work which is roughly 35 mins away from my home each way.

At the weekend, I also take my dog out to the woods, park, river or seaside for an hour or so Sat and Sun.

Just because some app says you're walking slow, dont worry. It all adds up in the end!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you worked 24 hours a week, stacking and stocking ice cream, cleaning the lot, and generally running around, would you change it?
    Yes, you have 24 hours more activity to account for than you had before.
    Should I continue logging my walks?
    If your walks are exercise (not part of your daily activity setting) then yes you should whatever your activity setting - that's how MFP is supposed to work.
  • rideontechnology
    rideontechnology Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies! A lot of good information.