baked potatoes

Options
nicolen160
nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
I am looking for the best way to make baked potaotes, I can never seem to get one right. I would love to know who you get them just perfect. Thanks

Replies

• jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You need potato spikes or metal thin skewers Wash then wrap the potato with foil, then stick the spike in it lengthwise.. Bake at 425 for hour - hour and half depending on size. They are done if the spike moves in and out easily.
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you need to do several at a time, poke the potatoes with a fork a few times and then wrap in foil. Stick the wrapped potatoes in a crock pot on low and let cook all day.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    If you need to do several at a time, poke the potatoes with a fork a few times and then wrap in foil. Stick the wrapped potatoes in a crock pot on low and let cook all day.
    [/quote

What a great idea.. Any sprinkling of water or anything. I have a ceramic removable liner and didn't know if that was a problem with no liquid..thanks
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    To save time and money, I prick mine all over with a fork first and then put them in a microwave for about 5-10 minutes (depending on the size of the potato).

Whilst this is softening in the microwave, preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. When the microwave is done, remove the potato with oven gloves as it will be VERY hot. Put onto a baking-tray and sprinkle with a little salt.

Put the potato in the oven and turn after 15 minutes, allowing for a further 15 minutes (total oven time 25-30 minutes).

Once this is done, it should be evenly baked and fluffy on the inside!

This is a way of cooking without fats or oils and the salt is optional :)

Kaela x
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    [/quote

What a great idea.. Any sprinkling of water or anything. I have a ceramic removable liner and didn't know if that was a problem with no liquid..thanks

I do this all the time, no problem with no liquid, just make sure they are wrapped in tin foil. Also works with sweetpotatoes and corn on the cob!
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    I brush mine with olive oil and rub corse salt on them too, tastes amazing.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    If I want one in a hurry, I do it in the microwave.

Poke with a fork -- twice on the top, twice on the bottom.
    Sometimes I'll wet it and sprinkle salt on the outside. Totally optional, and does not effect the cooking.
    Stick it in the microwave for 4 or 5 minutes.
    Let it sit another 4 or 5 minutes (it will continue to self-bake on the inside).
    Cut open and prepare with toppings.
    Enjoy.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    We've been grilling ours lately. First, poke with a fork several times, microwave for 5-10 minutes (depending on size and turning over at 1/2 way point). Then we take them and put them on the BBQ grill for 10-12 minutes, turning every few minutes. The grill takes away the microwave taste and they are delicious!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Depends on the potato.

Russets are the best.
    Clean the outside in cool water.
    Dry.
    Roll in ev olive oil and kosher salt.
    Poke a few small holes.
    Place directly (do NOT wrap in foil or whatever) on baking sheet in middle rack at 400 degrees F for around 45 minutes or so.

Done!

Or. . cut potatoes into cubes. In 13x9 glass baking pan, toss with pats of butter and cloves of garlic, kosher salt, and ground pepper (white is good here) bake at @350F for 45-60 mins.
  • lellan40
    lellan40 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Peel & chop in half, boil for 10 mins, drain, use a fork to stir them around in the saucepan to rough them up, add crushed garlic, fresh chopped rosemary, spray with olive oil to coat. Toss them into baking dish, bake in oven for approx. 30 mins turning to brown all side. They come out crunchy with lots of flavour.
  • Karababy51
    Karababy51 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Preheat oven to 400 F. Rinse potatoes under cold water, dry, then stab a few times with a fork. Spray a piece of foil with butter-flavored non-stick cooking spray and roll a potato inside. Place wrapped potatoes in oven and bake for 90 minutes. They turn out fluffy and delicious for me every time. :)
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Preheat oven to 180 degrees C

Wash and stab your potatoes, rub them in olive oil, sprinkle them all over with black pepper

Put in oven on foil base for 85 minutes at 180 degrees

They come out with a crispy, peppery skin and they're lovely and fluffy inside every time. This is a recipe from Men's Health that I picked up years ago, delicious!
  • AverageJock
    AverageJock Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ^^^This. Although after miocrowaving rub in some olive oil and course sea salt before puting in oven. :drinker:
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    stab it with a fork, put it in the microwave for 8 minutes XD
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Poke holes in both sides with a fork, put in mocrowave 4 mins, turn over, put in for another 4 mins.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I find microwaved potatoes unsatisfying as the skin stays white and soft whilst the insides can often still be hard.

A combination is a good idea to save time though, microwave for 8 mins then oven to crisp it off for 10 mins on high :)
  • Joydef22
    Options
    You need metal spikes wash 2 baking potatoes slide them on the metal spike take a knife slice the potato in thin strips spray olive oil in between the cut slices sprinkle rosemary salt and pepper if you like some garlic wrap in foil bake at 425 for about 30 - 45 minutes .