Making greek yogurt taste nicer?

Options
IsaackGMOON
IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
I'm going to buy some greek yogurt later, and I remember the last time I tried it by itself, I wasn't very pleased.

Any idea's on how to make it taste nicer? I thought that vanilla extract could be a start.

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I buy the plain, full-fat greek yogurt and I usually add a half of a powdered sugar-free drink tube to a 1/2 cup of yogurt. Lots of varieties to choose from, and relatively cheap :)
  • SqueakyBeans88
    SqueakyBeans88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I add some dark cocoa powder/chocolate protein powder and sweetener with a drop of vanilla essense. It's lovely like that :-)

Alternatively maybe a teaspoon of low sugar jam to make your own fruity yogurt

http://mozzypop.blogspot.co.uk
  • ADMcNaul
    ADMcNaul Posts: 55
    Options
    Any time I've had greek yoghurt I've added a little bit of honey.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I buy the 0% Fat varieties and add any or all of the following,

Honey, Jam, Nutella, Fruit, Nuts, Seeds (sweet varieties)

Chopped Spring Onions, Cucumber, Mint, Red Onion, Peppers, Pestos etc.

It makes really good low cal dips with these and condiments like chilli powder, tomato paste etc...
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I add honey or fresh fuit (apple, satsuma, berries, whatever you like ????)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I buy 0% or 2% fat greek yogurt and put in half a sliced banana and a tsp of raspberry jam with it before going to the pool. :smile:
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon, splenda, and blue berries or black berries is usually the way I eat it. Cinnamon and a little splenda also work well by themselves if you don't have any berries to put in.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Ooh they all sound delicious, thanks for the input guys :drinker:
  • InFitRealm
    InFitRealm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I add bilberries. Natural sweetener and tastes deliciously.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I actually like it on its own - its delicious, just takes a while to get used to it.

But try a little honey or maple syrup with chopped nuts or any fruit. Strawberries and Blueberries are my favourite :)
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm going to buy some greek yogurt later, and I remember the last time I tried it by itself, I wasn't very pleased.

Any idea's on how to make it taste nicer? I thought that vanilla extract could be a start.

I mix 6 ounces of it with protein powder and a teaspoon of water to make a protein pudding. Nice healthy dessert
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I always buy full fat now I have realised the 0% fat contains lots of sugar but I add raspberries on top and it's yummy.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Honey!!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Reeses pieces always make mine taste pretty good. ..
  • fox2star
    fox2star Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I add 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder and chopped walnuts to about 3 oz of the low fat one...yum!
  • maicap22
    maicap22 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I freeze it and blend it with fruits (mango/banana/etc) -- taste like ice cream to me

I also cannot stand the taste on its own.
  • EvelineUK
    EvelineUK Posts: 97
    Options
    I add juicy fruits to get it a bit thinner. Nectarines are my current favourites, but sliced strawberries, grapes or oranges work too.
  • mlawsonhughes
    Options
    Savoury - add lemon juice, finely chopped cucumber and garlic to make a lovely tzatziki - use as a dressing, or a topping for a cracker or as a dip for veg or pitta

Sweet - dark cocoa powder with a touch of splenda makes for a nice treat - freeze it if you're craving ice-cream
    If you're in North America, flavoured splenda really makes a difference - vanilla is my fave

Cheesecake craving? - Mix equal quantities of 0% greek yog and low fat cream cheese, dash of vanilla and some splenda and serve with some fresh fruit - add crumbled digestives if you have the extra calories to spare
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    You can also add any kind of sugar free pudding/jello mix. The butterscotch tastes really good lol.
  • krazywild1
    krazywild1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add granola - you can buy in store already put together or make your own based on what you like. It is awesome!!! Sometimes, I skip the yogurt and just eat the granola.