Help! New Desk Job = anxiety!

Options
I just started a desk job after having a very active merchandising manager position previously, working on my own schedule.

I've read all the tips on how to stay fit, but they just don't apply to my job! I can't do office exercises; I work in an open-office environment. It's a tiny office- there is no other floor to take the elevator to. The bathroom is 20 steps away. The break room is maybe 30. I get up every 20-30 minutes to refill water, go to the bathroom, or make some reason up to move around. Even so, I can hardly get 2,000 steps on my pedometer by the end of the day. I wiggle at my desk, I walk to cubes to talk to people. Still, the steps are minimal.

Even Monday, I ran 4 miles on top of this before work and still didn't reach 10,000 steps. I think I also took my dog for a walk.

My nutrition is top-notch, but I keep reading dreaded articles saying that "that 5-day-a-week 30 minute workout will not cancel out your 8 hours of sitting!" And I am trying desperately, obsessively even, to make sure to get in at least 30 minutes-- even if it's body weight exercises in front of Netflix.

Help! I'm freaking out. How do I stay sane and fit in this job? I don't see how it's possible to stay fit without majorly cutting calories and sacrificing so much. I'm used to being on my feet all day, every day!

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Can you use a pilates ball chair? Doesn't increase your steps but does really help core muscle strength and posture.

The key, I read, is getting up at least once and hour (bathroom break!). Put on a timer. It doesn't have to be long.

Can you walk at lunch?

Park as far as you can in the parking lot and shopping and keep pecking, pecking, pecking away at the steps.

All together, you may not get the steps. But I walk after dinner every day and get my 10,000 steps almost every day, even on those Saturdays when I don't get 1500 steps before mid-afternoon.

Good luck. If you make it a priority, it will happen.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Is there no where to walk during breaks/lunch? (Outside, that is.) The place I work is only two floors and they made an indoor walk-a-mile in the basement only for those who want to get in their steps.
  • Oswaltk
    Oswaltk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do! I literally get up constantly, as I mentioned in my first post. I take my dog for a walk on lunch and after work then eat lunch at my desk so that I can have time to move on my lunch hour. Our office parking lot is very small but I park the farthest away possible. I'll even run 3-4 miles before work some days when do all of this. I don't even get close to 10,000 steps and it seems absolutely ridiculous that I'm spending every second of my free time trying to get them in. I don't see how anybody can be in a office job long-term!
  • MichelleD7896
    MichelleD7896 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been in an office job for 7 years and I struggle with this constantly. I wish I could say that it gets easier, but it doesn't. As long as you've got a desk job, getting those steps in is going to be a struggle. My employer even gives us pedometers and we get cash rewards for getting our steps in... and it still doesn't happen sometimes.

People will make suggestions about working out in the office... doing stretches at your desk or doing lunges on your way to the printer. I love the idea of it, but my co-workers would mock me constantly.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're just gonna have to get used to eating a little less :/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This!
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You'll be ok. I've been working in offices from the get go and you just adapt.

For example - I'll drink heaps of water so I go to the loo every hour. After i've washed my hands I'll do 20 squats or lunges. I also use the lunch hour to take a big walk around about. I schedule meetings so I go to other people instead of them coming to me.

Plus gym 5 times a week and making sure any work snacks is fruit or veggies.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I don't see how anybody can be in a office job long-term!
    36 years and counting.....
    I'm fortunate in my current job that there is a gym in the building so I can exercise during my lunch break - when that's not an option then I simply have to eat less.
  • Cereal_Snacker
    Cereal_Snacker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling of sitting at a desk all day is awful, you go home feeling so drained even though you've been on your *kitten* all day! I had a job that meant I was active most of the day then I changed jobs 3yrs ago to my current job sitting at a desk all day and the weight has crept up by 28lb over those 3yrs.
    I know I just need to fit more exercise into my day to compensate, I love walking with my dog so that’s easy and it’s the first thing that makes me get rid of the drained depressed feeling I have after work. I need to up the intensity of my exercise though by doing something else like running or aerobics which is not so enticing to me. I've tried gyms but hate being inside especially when I have been inside all day.
  • marjushkamarusya
    Options
    Can you walk before and after work?
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I do! I literally get up constantly, as I mentioned in my first post. I take my dog for a walk on lunch and after work then eat lunch at my desk so that I can have time to move on my lunch hour. Our office parking lot is very small but I park the farthest away possible. I'll even run 3-4 miles before work some days when do all of this. I don't even get close to 10,000 steps and it seems absolutely ridiculous that I'm spending every second of my free time trying to get them in. I don't see how anybody can be in a office job long-term!

I must be missing something because I don't understand how you're not getting even close to 10,000 steps if you are running 3 to 4 miles? 10,000 steps is approximately 5 miles so your run should get you more than half way there. What are you using to measure your steps? Is the stride setting correct?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If it is next to impossible to get any kind of steps in at work then why not before or after work? and last time I check running 3 or 4 miles plus walking your dog would more than be enough to qualify for the getting 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week thing so just do that... If you want it bad enough, then you'll find ways to work it into your waking hours... and if you don't then your only other option is to watch your diet closer and on those days you don't workout, you may have to eat a little less.... Best of Luck
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I went from a TDEE of almost 3000 with my "on my feet running around all day" job, to a TDEE of 1600 with my current office job. I almost never break 5000 steps. The first year I gained weight because i forgot I'd have to eat a lot less. Now I eat between 1200-1600 a day instead of 2500. You just need to learn to eat less. It sucks, really. i am looking for a position, within my company cuz its great, where I can be on my feet more....
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I have a pretty active job where I'm standing most of the day or climbing stairs and sometimes it makes me feel like I'm too tired after work to go to the gym and work out "properly"...I feel like if I had a desk job this wouldn't be the case. If I were to go back to a desk job (used to have one) I'd make sure I was doing an hour of cardio and hour of weights a day, and just drink water and eat healthfully during the day. Take the stairs when you can and opt for walking whenever possible and I think you'll do okay.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. The only thing that helped me get 10k steps per day was doing Leslie Sansone's 5 mile walk at home. Otherwise I don't hit 10k but more like 6-7k a day.

I've started lifting at home and going on our elliptical. I don't hit 10k steps a day, but I'm losing inches and I've lost a couple of pounds.

I wouldn't worry about the number of steps you're getting. As long as you're doing something after or before work (which is sounds like you are) then you should be fine. Just keep on truckin' :flowerforyou:
  • Mauthos
    Mauthos Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Can you do any other exercise other than the walking/running?

I have been in an office environment for 4 years before that I was an aircraft engineer working on Aircraft and just going to the tool stores to the top floor of the Aircraft I was on was 1000 steps, so I easily made over 10000 each working day without fail.

I then moved into the office role and gained a lot of weight (there are a lot of other factors to this, not just the job, but not really relevant here) so I joined a gym and have lost a total of 31kg, getting back into the shape I was in. And in all honesty I don't spend that much time a week exercising and have plenty of free time too.
  • Oswaltk
    Options
    I'm already only eating 1200-1400 calories. I can't cut back any more or I'd starve. I'm not just concerned about weight gain, just mental sanity and keeping my heart healthy, etc. A lot of people are suggesting walking before or after work, but as I mentioned in my post, I'm running before work, walking my dog at lunch, and walking after work. My 4 mile run on Monday only got me to about 6000 steps so that was the closest I've gotten, but I don't want to be running 4 days miles a day...

Is there anyone who has NOT had significant issues/weight gain/etc after starting an office job?
  • Oswaltk
    Options
    Can you do any other exercise other than the walking/running?

I have been in an office environment for 4 years before that I was an aircraft engineer working on Aircraft and just going to the tool stores to the top floor of the Aircraft I was on was 1000 steps, so I easily made over 10000 each working day without fail.

I then moved into the office role and gained a lot of weight (there are a lot of other factors to this, not just the job, but not really relevant here) so I joined a gym and have lost a total of 31kg, getting back into the shape I was in. And in all honesty I don't spend that much time a week exercising and have plenty of free time too.

This is motivating!

Yes, I do bodyweight exercises and HIIT stuff at home when I can. I am a certified personal trainer, so that's why it blows my mind that this stuff is still so difficult for me. Maybe I am just obsessed and need to cut myself some slack.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Is your building a multi-storey building? Can you take 30 mins to climb stairs at lunch and use 5 - 10 minutes of your breaks to do the same? They might not add up to the 10,000 steps but you do have to work harder for stairs than normal walking.

My manager said that 10,000 steps for her is about 5 miles. I'm a bit surprised you didn't make it that day that you went for a 4 mile jog and walked the dog and around the office. Do you take really long strides? Can you shorten them? haha.

Otherwise, you may need to start going for daily runs before or after work and then an evening walk. Remember there ARE other exercises you can do in a day other than the 10,000 steps fad to keep you in shape. Possibly in better shape.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Um, I work 37 hours a week in an office. That leaves plenty of hours available for not sitting down?

I know your're after maintaining, but I've had no problem with losing weight whilst being desk bound and I don't have the option or deisire to go to the gym or do star jumps in the store room at lunch time.

My weight was lower when I was a waitress, but starting an office job itself didn't make me gain weight. No-one force feeds you donuts or stops you from exercising when you're not there...