Any tips and tricks for a new starter? Please :)

Options
I confess, I am an emotional eater. When I am stressed, I EAT. My goal is to lose 20 lbs in the next several months.
So what are some of your tips to get yourself to stop eating (when you are not really hungry?)

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• swertyqwerty
    swertyqwerty Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Up your water intake. I'm 5'1" and I drink 2 litres a day at least. I lost 5 lbs just by doing this. Stir in some chia seeds or metamucil into one of those litres. The extra fibre will fill you up and take away your hunger.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Eat as many calories as I can and still lose weight, eat tons of protein & fats (keep you full longer), drink a lot of water, and follow the tips in the sexypants thread which is the first thread in Getting Started.
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great replies and agreed, drink water when you are hungry...flavor it if you like. Also, when you are hungry, EAT! Just eat high volume low fat food like fruit.
  • amandawillard3551
    Options
    I go for a walk around the block and that reminds me I need to loose the weight :)
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If I'm bored rather than genuinely hungry, I drink more water and I do something to distract myself.

Whenever I've had a bad food day, I've always hung onto that fat feeling and weighed myself the next day, so I have that memory to consider next time I feel like doing similar. It does help. If you do ever fall off the wagon, don't beat yourself up, but use it as motivation for next time you feel tempted. What doesn't kill us...

There is something inexplicably appealing about plastic cheese, but if I want a McDonalds, I think about the sadly low full to calories ratio, the fact that it will taste delicious but make me feel like crap immediately afterwards and that it's not particularly healthy. I guess I'm always debating with myself whether something is worth it. Sometimes it is, but when I'm sad rather than hungry, it generally isn't.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Keep your hands busy and do something that you can't eat while doing like knitting, playing a video game, painting your nails, etc. When you feel like you can't resist, get outside and take a 5-10 minute walk or do some stretches. Sometimes just clearing your head will remind you you aren't really hungry.

Try a substitution if that doesn't work. When you feel like emotional eating, make tea instead.

You can also try pre-logging. If you feel like your about to binge, log everything you feel like eating. When you see how many calories it is, that might change your mind.