Making greek yogurt taste nicer?

Options

Replies

• TinyBriony91
    Options
    Depends how you feel about 0 calorie artifical sweeteners, but I like to have for breakfast 0% fat greek yoghurt, with a banana sliced up, and some truvia sweetner mixed in
  • Ilgamuth
    Ilgamuth Posts: 17
    Options
    It's great that you're giving it a second chance! But if you end up not enjoying it, there is no shame in cutting it out.

Now I happen to enjoy the taste of plain greek yoghurt, but if I fancy it up I usually go one of two ways. I either add blueberries and pecans to mine, how much depends on the mood I'm in. Or I add about a teaspoon of honey and walnuts.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Try some different varities - they all taste different. Some I don't like, others I do.

I like to add protein powder or honey, macro-depending.
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I buy Fage Greek 0% and usually put a scoop of whey protein in with a pinch of water to smooth it out to a mouse consistency. Also any kind of fruit that you enjoy cut up into it works well.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it by adding sweet things - might have to...

I just always found it reminded me of sour cream so used it in lieu of that.

Recently I have become semi-obsessed with mixing no fat greek yogurt + salsa + spices/salt. It makes a yummy dip, or a great salad dressing. Especially for taco salad :love:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Don't buy plain?

Or buy plain and stir in low sugar homemade preserves?
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i use it plain instead of sour cream, but for sweet i do berries and a pinch of splenda if i really want it sweet, but normally the berries are enough.
  • ReaganP13
    ReaganP13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    A tip that I use often (and wish I thought of earlier) is - I use non-fat greek plain yogurt as sour cream - On a baked potato with chives and salt and pepper, or a scoop on top of some homemade chili. ALSO, DIPS! I use Liptons onion soup/dip mix with greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and seriously NO-One (evenly my insanely picky brother) could tell the difference. I also had a dinner party with friends where I made fajitas and topped each with a scoop of plain greek and everyone thought it was sour cream.

As far as eating it straight up, I like the taste, but I can see how some wouldnt. To make it more sweet/dessert-like I add some berries and kinda half smash the berries up in it along with some honey on top. A bit of nuts or granola add a nice crunch, too.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Try a different brand, they don't all taste the same.

You can add honey, maple syrup, fruit, flavoured... they all make it taste different.
  • ReaganP13
    ReaganP13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow - I thought my sour cream post was clever, but I guess it took me too long to write it because by the time it got posted you guys beat me to it!

Great tips about the salsa - yum. Glad to hear other people are doing this too.
  • BlazeJay83
    BlazeJay83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Powdered sugar free gelatin (jell-o/jelly).
  • redrdghood40
    redrdghood40 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Splenda makes a french vanilla coffee flavor. It's a slightly sweet vanilla flavor in packets in the coffee isle or online. I add this to fat free greek yogurt. Very good!
  • Lala_White
    Lala_White Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been buying the Dannon Light greek blends. They are non-fat and they taste great. I usually add 1 teaspoon of cacoa nibs and 1/2 cup of granola to mine and mix it up. That way I get the protein and the crunchy so I feel like I'm "eating"
  • stephb130181
    stephb130181 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    0% greek yoghurt and add a little honey and some granola with dried fruit in it. LUSH!
  • pinkrod
    pinkrod Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always buy Chobani with the fruit on the bottom and then I add fresh fruit to it to break up the texture a little. Super Yummy! :) Or I add it to smoothies for some extra protein and flavor.
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    I use to buy the fage with the little spoonful of fruit attached to the side of the container...one day my son did the grocery shopping..."e'nuff said" LOL...anyway he came home with a big tub of 0% Fage...PLAIN....I had a jar of Organic strawberry preserves in the fridge I use with PB2 (powdered peanut butter), I decided to put 1 TBS of that into 1/2 cup of the plain yogurt, and VIOLA! Instant fruited yogurt! been doing it that way ever since,.
    BUT what I love to do is use it as a replacement for sour cream...on my turkey taco's, turkey burritos, and like others have recommended...it makes a great dip...some seasonings, or even a packet of "Hidden valley ranch dressing powder"...I also use it in equal parts with MAYO for my tuna and egg salad...if you google "recipes using yogurt", there r a ton! YUMMERS! Good luck!
  • joshjones7772
    Options
    Honey seems like the go to for a quick taste booster to fat free greek yogurt.
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have sugar free greek yoghurt for breakfast almost every morning. I add half a banana, some goji berries and a "toasted cereal topper" which is basically various seeds (linseed, seasame seed etc) that have been toasted. The sweeteness from the fruit and savoury flavour of the seeds cuts out the bitterness of the yoghurt.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I buy Fage Greek 0% and usually put a scoop of whey protein in with a pinch of water to smooth it out to a mouse consistency. Also any kind of fruit that you enjoy cut up into it works well.

Started making this myself recently & it is really nice.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it by adding sweet things - might have to...

I just always found it reminded me of sour cream so used it in lieu of that.

Recently I have become semi-obsessed with mixing no fat greek yogurt + salsa + spices/salt. It makes a yummy dip, or a great salad dressing. Especially for taco salad :love:

works to sub out mayo as well.

But for "yogurt" as a snack- I use
    330 grams no fat or 113 grams 10% milk fat
    29 grams vanilla protein powder
    mix till smooth.

Microwave for 25-45 seconds:
    2.5 oz black berries
    2.5 oz raspberries

add fruit to cool yogurt. Delicious.