Long Hair - Wash after every workout?

Options

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    use dry shampoos, baby powder, corn starch or just rince it in water and finish off with conditioner
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi long haired exercisers! Do you wash your hair after every work out? I have been because I sweat in my hair. Yuck. But I was wondering if there are products you all have used to wick the sweat from your hair while you exercise so you don't have to wash every day? I'd love to cut back so my hair doesn't get all dry and damaged from all the washing. Thanks!

If I exercise (which is every other day - running) then I wash my hair and condition it. I do not, however, use ANY form or heat on it whatsoever, no hairdryers, straightners or curling tongs etc. I just comb it and leave it to dry on its own, otherwise I would end up with straw.
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair about 2x a week. It is kind of long, the back part is down to my butt.
    Almost all my life I have had long hair and only washed it about 2-3 times a week. I think otherwise it would become too dry or damaged?
    I keep my hair in either a braid or a bun depending on what I will be doing.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I absolutely have to wash my hair every day, workout or not. If I'm not going anywhere and I don't wash it, it gets really limp and greasy looking. That may have something to do with the fact that I also have to condition my hair every day, it's very fine and will get extremely snarly and static-y if I don't.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Mine's not long, just grazing the shoulders, but I can get away with not washing after weight lifting, but I sweat too much from running for it to be salvageable at all.
  • sandygettingfit
    sandygettingfit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and bought the Save Your Do. My hair still gets sweaty, it just doesn't drip all over my forehead. I usually let it air dry then use dry shampoo or I rinse it and condition it. It's not easy... p.s. Save your money.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I blow dry my sweaty hair then use dry shampoo, It takes the sweaty smell away.
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Sometimes after a workout I can get away with not washing it--I try to make those the days that I go to the trouble of straightening it. But honestly that's pretty rare. Usually I wash every other day and just use conditioner on the non-wash days. My hair usually ends up in a bun anyway.

ETA--Where do you find dry shampoo? I've heard of it but never seen it.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have long curly hair that I straighten. I wash every day. I couldn't go without! I have done it my whole life.. Hair is fine. I love smell good shampoo/ body wash.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My hair practically drags on the ground and I wash it every day and after every workout. I don't use shampoo, ever. Just Hair One or Wen. But it's still washed every day.
  • gutmantw
    gutmantw Posts: 1
    Options
    Here is an article about how to not wash hair after work out and still keep in good shape: http://facianohair.com/working-out-gym
  • MaaKeMeThinn3r
    MaaKeMeThinn3r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I know allllll bout sweating in your hair! The nape of my neck gets really sweaty so fast! I personally wash my hair everytime I work out. Not only does it clean my hair but I feel better like I accomplished something. I kinda use the shower as motivation haha but also Dry Shampoos are fabulous..I find mine at walgreens and walmart really cheap and they work wonders..basically taking the excess grease out..Or just try a more mosturizing shampoo and do deep hair conditionings if you'd rather wash every time you excerise..Hope this helped!!
    :heart: :heart: Kayleigh Anne:heart::heart:
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Washing my hair every time I got a little sweaty would strip it of all it's natural conditioning (oils). I wash my hair every other day, and I don't wash it anymore than that. I like to think I have healthy hair. After a work out I just cool dry it. It's actually feels really good. I also recommend using a headband when you exercise if it is really bothersome, and always rock the pony tail.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair everyday after each workout (6 days a week) with whatever cheap shampoo I can get with a coupon (herbal essence at the moment). I wash all of it and I condition all of it. I then put a tiny bit of coconut oil on the tips while it's still damp. Most days, it's then put into a loose bun on the top of my head while damp. I don't have split ends (at least my hairdresser says I don't). Once or twice a week, they get put into large rollers with a little product and then heat styled with a low heat blow dryer.

ETA: If I didn't wash it everyday, it would get clumpy oily. Thanks for that, Dad.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Ponytails during exercise may help.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat much so I skip it sometimes. I use cornstarch to absorb oil and brush it out really well and put it up.
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Options
    My hair is too long. Ya it sweats a lot but i do no apply shampoo after every workout. And my hair fall is also reduced.

The main factor is i am eating clean and healthy food everyday and also drinking 7-8 liters water in a day. So no chance of hair fall or damage. Its shining and getting stronger day by day. I don't think , sweat can cause any problem to our hair.
  • mehrunisan
    mehrunisan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yup. i shampoo every morning before my workout and just shower after it.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    zombieeeeesssss

doh!
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    My hair is baby fine. I wash mine every other day. I also use the dry shampoo. Works well!