Should I start crossfit?

Options
I'm debating if I should start crossfit. Right now I weight train about 2-3 times a week and do on 3-4 mile run three times as well. At school I had a trainer once a week. Will joining a crossfit box help me lose more weight or should I continue what I'm doing?

Replies

• scorrea2
    scorrea2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My wife did it for a while... I think most gyms would have a free introductory class, so you should try it out. I don't think it will magically give you better results than what you are doing, but if it gets you more excited about fitness and you therefore go more often or more consistently than what you are currently doing then you will get results as a side effect of that. Just to warn you as a beginner, my wife said that her gym was really chill at the start because it was a lot of beginners but then it got really competitive (not in a positive way) and she decided it wasn't for her.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Ok, I avoided this because this question usually turns into a CrossFit bashing thread.

I do CrossFit. I love it. It's the only workout I have ever done that has kept me engaged consistently for more than a year. I went from being in terrible shape, to being in pretty good shape. I'm enjoying the muscle tone that I'm getting from lifting and body weight exercises and I can actually run a 5k in under 30 minutes now. Also, I've met some awesome people that have become really good friends.

If you are going to do CrossFit, however, make sure you are going to a reputable gym. They should put you through an Elements class for several week where you learn the moves and proper form. From there, they should watch you closely to make sure you aren't taking on too much weight, too soon.

I'd say try it and see if you like it. At the same time, your workout routine now is great too.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Will joining a crossfit box help me lose more weight...?

yep, it's magic.
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to agree with Paige's comments. I am waiting to see the comments, too! hahaha

I started 2 years ago and it is the only thing that I have stuck to in years. All the haters can hate, but they are obviously doing something right. Most people who CF stick to it. It's pricier than a gym membership, but I'd give up my cable bill before I'd give up CF. It was good advice to find the right CF Box and coaching. Most do offer comp sessions or a one month GroupOn. Look for variety. My Box has weight lifting, a WOD (workout of the day), and then 'extra credit' type things and mobility. They don't just do a 15, 20, or 30 minute WOD and send you home. I like the competition, but go into it with the outlook to keep getting better and don't worry about everyone else.

As far as weight loss...it will help you with fat loss. But, you will likely remain the same weight for a while because you gain muscle and lose fat. I stayed the same for about a year, but my body compostion has changed a lot. It helps to do a BodPod fat test if you have one around you. I wish I would have done one at the beginning.

I recently went on vacation for a week (where I couldn't find a CrossFit) and then had a business trip the following week. It's the longest time that I have been out of CF since I started. I did heavy weights at the hotel gym, which was actually very nice and I ran, so I didn't just take the weeks off. But, this is my first week back to CF and I am as sore as ever. I'm not complaining...it just showed me that my CF workouts are intense. Particulary the Olympic lifting. And, I'm even more convinced that it's the right thing for me. I do still run a few days but not long runs....like 2-3 miles, 20-30 minutes.

There is a CrossFit group here, so if you decide to try it, you may want to join the group for support.

Good luck!
  • scorrea2
    scorrea2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My wife did it for a while... I think most gyms would have a free introductory class, so you should try it out. I don't think it will magically give you better results than what you are doing, but if it gets you more excited about fitness and you therefore go more often or more consistently than what you are currently doing then you will get results as a side effect of that. Just to warn you as a beginner, my wife said that her gym was really chill at the start because it was a lot of beginners but then it got really competitive (not in a positive way) and she decided it wasn't for her.

What do you mean by it got competitive? I'm a former athelete so I do have a very competive streak in me.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    CrossFit has it's ups and downs just like every other routine. It's not magic and it will only work as well as the amount of effort you put into it. I can say that if you do partake in CrossFit, be careful, I've seen many injuries. Also, as someone else mentioned, make sure to go to a reputable place, it doesn't take much to start a CrossFit group and call yourself a "trainer".
  • Lina_mas
    Lina_mas Posts: 3
    Options
    I love cross fit - It keeps things interesting. The only part that I am not a fan of is the max rep. Its not one of my personal goals so I just do not participate in it. If you are going to do is as well, make sure you find a place that is safety oriented. You want to make sure you have proper form in order to avoid injury.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love cross fit - It keeps things interesting. The only part that I am not a fan of is the max rep. Its not one of my personal goals so I just do not participate in it. If you are going to do is as well, make sure you find a place that is safety oriented. You want to make sure you have proper form in order to avoid injury.
    Like much of the competition of CrossFit, it's a competition with myself, not the other athletes. Max rep is part of that; a benchmark, like any other. I like to know it not only to have an idea of how I'm progressing, but it's also a reference point for other WODs. Doing the same movement at 60% of 1RM, for example.

Agreed, always be sure you're using proper form. WODs "for time" are one of the more misunderstood things about CrossFit. Those against say it promotes bad form in favor of the clock. It's just the opposite, actually. If you can't maintain good form then the weight is too heavy. As you get faster using proper form, you can gage when to start upping the weight. Never sacrifice form in order to use more weight or to beat the clock (or the guy next to you). That's a sure way to get hurt.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals really.

If you just want to work out hard and intense- then YES. Cross fit might be good for you.

If you have specific training goals- then probably not.

As far as losing weight- the only thing needed for that is a calorie deficit.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Give it a try, I love it. Most CrossFit boxes offer a free class to do the baseline and try a class.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals really.

If you just want to work out hard and intense- then YES. Cross fit might be good for you.

If you have specific training goals- then probably not.

As far as losing weight- the only thing needed for that is a calorie deficit.

Exactly. People need to stop looking at strength training or exercise as a way to lose weight. Eating correctly is the majority of the battle and will help you get your weight loss goals. Training & exercise helps but really serves a different purpose in one's health.

Reasons to do CF
    - You enjoy that style of exercise (I have trouble calling it training when they use WoD, which isn't really training; training involves a plan and goals)
    - You're an endurance athlete
    - You want to improve your endurance and also work on strength

Reasons no to do CF
    - You're primary focus in strength
    - You're an athlete that plays some kind of team sport (Soccer, Football, Basketball, etc)
    - You don't have a ton of cash to blow every month on exercise
    - Your job requires some tactical ability (i.e. military, police, fireman)
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by it got competitive? I'm a former athlete so I do have a very competitive streak in me.

For the record, I am not down on crossfit like a lot of people are. I think if you find something fitness wise that you really like and motivates you, that will help you more than something "better" that you hate doing. And just like you can injure yourself doing crossfit, you can do the same thing lifting weights or running, etc if you don't know what you're doing and/or go to hard to early.

I only went once, but basically the WOD (workout of the day) which is normally timed. So you might have a circuit of burpees, pushups, squats (or whatever) and they say do 10x10x10, and see how many circuits you can do in 10 minutes. When I went, everyone put their results up on a chalkboard. Or there was a lifting portion and the amounts people could lift were put up on the chalkboard. So if you are the type that is self-conscious, you might not like this level of exposure. Or you might not care. At the one my wife went to there wasn't really a division between beginner classes and advanced, so once more people showed up there were big guys working out with their shirts off in the same class as the women beginners. There were people who would exaggerate on their numbers since it was on display. Cases where the really fit people were correcting others form. Granted this is all stuff could happen in any class setting or even a gym you workout by yourself, but I guess having the numbers posted on the board seemed to encourage people showing off (in her opinion).
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I lift but I also do crossfit 3-4 times a week. I consider it a high intensity cardio workout, you won't build any muscle doing it but you will work your entire body which I think is better than just running or whatever. I also enjoy the variety of programming. You need to find a place where you enjoy the people because it is done in a group. Personally I don't get caught up in the competition too much, if I am doing deadlifts or pull-ups etc I am far more interested in keeping decent form than beating the clock or the dude/gal beside me. Give it a go and see what you think, if you find a gym (not 'box' because that is just lame) with decent people and decent trainers it can be a lot of fun and a great work out.
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Well, according to my Facebook feed, the only way to get results from Crossfit is to constantly tell everyone you are doing Crossfit. :)
    On a serious note, it really looks like it works. One of my friends went from regular fit to beefcake after doing crossfit. I would do it, but it costs a lot. So go for it. Worse that happens is you aren't pleased with it and stop.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you like it, sure. But it's not some magic workout that will help you lose weight faster. It's not for me, personally, because I don't think it's worth the money, and I don't like working out with other people. I want to do what I want, on my own time. You can look up crossfit places around you and see if they have a free weekend or something, or if they offer a trial day. I think most of them do.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well, according to my Facebook feed, the only way to get results from Crossfit is to constantly tell everyone you are doing Crossfit. :)
    On a serious note, it really looks like it works. One of my friends went from regular fit to beefcake after doing crossfit. I would do it, but it costs a lot. So go for it. Worse that happens is you aren't pleased with it and stop.

everyone knows your workout doesn't count unless you post a self and 5 motivational facebook statuses.

Also- you're food isn't healthy if you didn't post at least the before and after on Instagram.

no other work is necessary though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals...i did CF for awhile early on and it was kind of a fun way to train (just make sure you don't go to a stupid box with stupid coaches) but ultimately it didn't really optimize anything from a fitness perspective. As a matter of general fitness, it's pretty good, but you are training to optimize anything if that is important to you...this is where having fitness goals independent of losing weight and calories and whatnot comes in handy.

I would also add that if you're intending to do this in conjunction with what you're already doing, you may be pushing the envelope a bit and could potentially start to have recovery issues and in general be doing a lot of extra work for not much gain.
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love it. I belong to a crossfit gym as well as a standard gym and do both. The variety of crossfit keeps it interesting because you never know what is coming at you on a daily basis. It is however, not for the faint of heart
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it is really fun. It is more social than going to the gym alone and it is more varied than doing the same routine over and over ("if it's Wednesday, it must be biceps!"). Plus, since you work out with others, in a group, that pushes you. That is the competitive part that has been mentioned. But, the atmosphere actually is usually supportive, rather than pushy or combative.
    My box has intro classes that you have to take to start, so you can be sure that Crossfit is for you and that you can do the movements.