Gained 8lb in a week..

Options
I weighed myself a few days ago (probably a week ago) and the scale showed 168lbs. Weighed myself yesterday and i've gone back up to 176lbs... Is this even possible? I do admit I started eating junk after I saw 168lbs in the scale, but an 8lb gain in such a short time?

Anyway, back to healthy eating now.

I'm 5ft8, my goal weight is around 155-160lbs. Anyone else here 5ft8? How much do you currently weigh and what's your goal weight?

Replies

• RoseLavAllen
    RoseLavAllen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you started to eat a bit more then a lot of that will just simply be water weight, not fat. So don't worry, our weigh will fluctuate & it's completely normal. It doesn't mean that you've actually gained that amount of weight in fat :)
    I'm 5ft 9 and 152 pounds
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something my body would do.

It's shocking how much can be gained in a day or two, even over night sometimes.

If it's water weight, it'll disappear.

If it doesn't disappear, it's not water weight.

:-(
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I did this one week and found it was a stone stuck under the foot plate of the scales - check the floor under the scales.
  • Maryam2207
    Maryam2207 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I will check the scale when I get home! Sometimes I get paranoid and think the scale is dodgy. I might actually buy a new one just to make sure.

I can only hope it's water weight! I did get carried away with eating. Took a break from exercise for a few days (and I never do that). I hope it is water weight, I will drink loads of water and start exercising daily, as usual
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    The majority of it is most likely water weight but there could be a pound or two that may be actual new fat since you said you were eating junk. A few weeks ago I gained 6 lbs when I bumped my calories from 1,200 up to 1,500. I was still in a deficit so I should have lost weight. It took a few days to go back to "normal" and in fact I did lose a little weight when it all cleared up. I attribute the temporary gain to the higher amount of sodium on a higher calorie diet meaning more water retention. If in a few days you don't see 6 or more of those pounds go away then I'd be worried.
  • Maryam2207
    Options
    The majority of it is most likely water weight but there could be a pound or two that may be actual new fat since you said you were eating junk. A few weeks ago I gained 6 lbs when I bumped my calories from 1,200 up to 1,500. I was still in a deficit so I should have lost weight. It took a few days to go back to "normal" and in fact I did lose a little weight when it all cleared up. I attribute the temporary gain to the higher amount of sodium on a higher calorie diet meaning more water retention. If in a few days you don't see 6 or more of those pounds go away then I'd be worried.

I will keep an eye on it
  • deviant_illusion
    deviant_illusion Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I put on 10lbs last weekend! It couldn't have possibly been all fat but I stepped up my exercise this week and am back down. This weekend will be clean living with more progress.
  • Maryam2207
    Options
    I put on 10lbs last weekend! It couldn't have possibly been all fat but I stepped up my exercise this week and am back down. This weekend will be clean living with more progress.

You don't know how happy your post has made me :flowerforyou: I will exercise for longer this week and see where it gets me
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    most likely water
    8 pounds is a lot for 7 days.

Also, did u use the same scale?
  • Maryam2207
    Options
    most likely water
    8 pounds is a lot for 7 days.

Also, did u use the same scale?

Yep, it's the same scale
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options

You don't know how happy your post has made me :flowerforyou: I will exercise for longer this week and see where it gets me

Yes, exercise to make up for the junk. But the 10 lbs that user gained, much like the 8 lbs you gain, is MOSTLY water weight. You can't gain that much weight that fast. 1 lb is 3,500 calories. If you gained 8 lbs of REAL fat you would have had to have eaten an excess of 4,000 calories IN ADDITION to your TDEE so easily 5,500-6,200 calories in a single day...for 7 days. There is no way you did this. 1-2 pounds may be real fat, a real gain. But the rest is water weight. It will settle back to normal if you drink a lot of water and reduce your sodium. Get back on track to eating your calorie requirement based on your goal and working out.
  • Maryam2207
    Options

Yes, exercise to make up for the junk. But the 10 lbs that user gained, much like the 8 lbs you gain, is MOSTLY water weight. You can't gain that much weight that fast. 1 lb is 3,500 calories. If you gained 8 lbs of REAL fat you would have had to have eaten an excess of 4,000 calories IN ADDITION to your TDEE so easily 5,500-6,200 calories in a single day...for 7 days. There is no way you did this. 1-2 pounds may be real fat, a real gain. But the rest is water weight. It will settle back to normal if you drink a lot of water and reduce your sodium. Get back on track to eating your calorie requirement based on your goal and working out.

This just made me happier. :flowerforyou: I'm on it
  • Maryam2207
    Options
    So turns out the scale was broken... I only gained 1.8lb
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    So turns out the scale was broken... I only gained 1.8lb

Yay!