healthier cupcake recipe?

Options
sarahbrown1015
sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
Does anyone have a healthier cupcake or cake recipe? They are for a group who does not care about such things so I want them to "pass" as a regular treat. Everything I'm finding is either to over the top vegan for this crowd. Thanks!

Replies

• sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Or full of chemicals... Can't type today.
  • sytar7
    sytar7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How about muffins? I brought in muffins (substituted apple sauce for oil). Everyone called them cupcakes, but they are all ESL so that might be why. Anyway everyone ate them and you really couldn't tell. They even had chocolate chips.

or make/buy mini cupcakes and hold yourself off at one (a daunting task but possible) okay maybe two... no one, stick with one :smile: As you can see this is a challenge in IMHO

Good luck!
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I love making these for our family. They are so good! I found the recipe from food.com. We have made them in a cake pan and individual cupcakes and they always turn out awesome! Can't even tell they are vegan. I will add a little bit of soy milk to the mixture if I feel it needs a little more moisture. I have also decrease the sugar a little bit and you can't even tell...especially when served warm with vanilla ice cream !

Scrum-Diddly-Umptious Vegan Brownies

1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1/2 cup raw sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    3/4 cup unbleached white flour
    1/3 cup cocoa powder
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 and lightly spray or oil an 8 x 8 baking pan.
    Mix applesauce, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt (and cinnamon if using) together.
    Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the applesauce mixture. Mix until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips (and walnuts if using).
    Spread in prepared pan and bake 25-30 min, until center is firm and not sticky. Cool completely before slicing.

Nutritional Facts for Scrum-Diddly-Umptious Vegan Brownies

Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
    Servings Per Recipe: 9

Calories 101.4
    Calories from Fat 55
    Total Fat 0.5 g
    Saturated Fat 0.2 g
    Cholesterol 0.0
    Sodium 281.3 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
    Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
    Sugars 13.7
    Protein 1.7 g
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. The only thing I can thing of would be if you replaced half the oil, butter or margarine in your regular recipe with applesauce. Everything else I know of is vegan and gluten free.

What is your ultimate goal in getting a healthier recipe: reducing the calories per serving? Increasing the health benefits of the macros/micronutrients in the food?

If you just want it to be more nutritious: Trying looking for a gluten free cake recipe that uses quinoa for the flour. I know I used to have one. It called for cooked quinoa blended up as a batter. It was pretty tasty but not lower in cals really. Good protein. Other things you could try would be cutting the volume of sugar in half for your recipe but then its more like a muffin than a cupcake.

This website has some healthy, but wierd recipes. :smile: http://stuftmama.com/2011/09/20/mighty-chocolate-microwave-muffin/
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    1 box of cake mix
    1 can of Diet Soda (I like to use diet cream soda)
    Mix, then Bake as directed on box
    *Can be made as muffins just use different pan

OR

1 box of brownie mix
    10oz of Soda (Again, I like to use diet cream soda)
    Mix, then bake as directed on box
    *Can also be made as muffins

OR

Black Bean Brownies

1 box brownie mix
    1 can black beans rinsed & then fill can with water, blend beans & water
    Mix brownie mix & bean mix together
    Bake as directed on box
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Bump