A frustrating past few months...

Options
Hello everyone, my name is Anthony. I'm 22 years old (soon to be 23 years old in August), and I've suddenly come across a sudden and harsh gain in weight that has put me well past the weight that I feel best at. I always feel bad about being upset at where I currently stand because I know that there are people worse off than me; right now, I am sitting at a weight of 185 at 5'10", but I don't feel right at this weight. It's caused a lot of depression and, to be quite honest, a lot of self-loathing.

Another reason why I'm a little bit upset at myself is that I used to be a relatively active person; in addition to this, I used to be really involved with fitness through one of my hobbies -- rhythm games (Dance Dance Revolution/In The Groove/Pump It Up). I'm so far out of shape now that it's been a struggle to play at my highest level now (here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OAAbHX_wP4)

Anyway, I really hope that I can meet a bunch of people here to build a great support system for not only losing the weight, but inevitably keeping it off and creating an overall better lifestyle. Some of the tools here are amazing, and I plan on using them to their fullest.

Long story short, hi everyone!

Replies

• kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I think we've all been there before, and it sounds like you don't have a ton of weight to lose, but to just regain former fitness. This is a great support group, and with the fitness baby steps, and you will eventually get there.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi Anthony!

I was in a similar position to you about 10 months ago, I put on a lot of weight during my first year of university and it was incredibly depressing.

MFP really helped, I steadily lost weight and was managing to maintain my goal weight really well until my last set of exams came up. I'm now back, just trying to get back into good eating and exercise habits.

There's a lot of great exercise advice on the boards (and a lot of bad advice too, make sure to double check stuff!).

Good luck!
  • afernandez2120
    Options
    Welcome, I think we've all been there before, and it sounds like you don't have a ton of weight to lose, but to just regain former fitness. This is a great support group, and with the fitness baby steps, and you will eventually get there.

Yeah, definitely not as much as some other people on this site. I'm looking to drop 30 pounds. It's a reasonable amount, but certainly not something that is -extremely- long term.