Weight to Height ratio...

jrhodges20
jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, so I have a question. I've been doing some research on what my target weight for my height should be. I am currently at 181...started at 186. Have lost inches in a few places, which is awesome, I'd like to see more. And my goal ultimate goal is 150. However I have been reading that my target weight for my height (5'7") is more like 143ish. I honeslty don't know that I could get down that low, and maintain it. I feel that I could be happy at the 150. I was just curious what others thought about target weights.

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    In the Tools section, there is a BMI calculator. That will tell you what the healthy weight range is for your height.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    I am 5'8 and my goal weight is 145. currently I am at 160.4, down from 173, and i feel and see huge changes BUT I know I want to hit that 145 goal. My REAL goal is to lower my body fat to 20-23%, that number matters more to me, as well as being toned, flexible and strong. If i get those things before 145 and it feels right, ill stop losing. really, its all about how you feel and what is right for you. if you are looking to build a little muscle and tone, your target weight might be higher than if you want to just lose fat and risk losing muscle to get to that number as well. its all really personal, go by how you feel, not what a chart says.
  • itzamos
    itzamos Posts: 24
    I'm 5'8" and I'm going for 140. I would be fairly satisfied staying with my current weight, which is ten pounds over ideal, however.
  • melaka
    melaka Posts: 18
    I get what you're saying.. The BMI says I should be about 110 pounds for my height. However, if I was that weight, I would be TOO THIN. I was already skinny at 125! AND that was in high school~! I"m not sure that thing works for the best. I'm aiming for 135, which will be more reasonable for a woman of my age and body shape.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    My mom and I just had this discussion. I think its important to set your goal to what YOU think you can maintain and can actually achieve. Once you reach it, you can reevaluate. My mom just started WW and actually set her weight a little higher then what her weight should be. She doesn't want to feel pressured to be at a certain size. Your BMI is a broad range for a reason: Everyone is different! :o)
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Also, this website might give you a good idea of your weight and size in the future! :o)

http://www.mybodygallery.com/
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    My advice (as a 5'7" woman) is to set a goal to be in normal BMI range - it's pretty broad. Once there you can decide if you need to lose more. I am at 158 now - goal is 150 but MAY want to be 145. Just depends on what I can maintain - I just don't want to struggle everyday to try and be thinner but want to exercise and eat healthy for life. I have larger bones - and BMI does account for that with the broad range. Good luck!
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Thank you all. I guess I will have to wait and see what happens when I get closer to my target weight, I have a long way to go. In High school i was 120, and my first year of college I went up to 130. But I felt that was too skinny for me. The BMI says 118-159. So I'll work hard to get down there and see how I feel from there.
This discussion has been closed.