Anyone Read Woman's World? 1000 Calories?

Options
My mom buys Woman's World every month. So every now and again I crack open the cover and read whats inside! Sometimes I read some awesome things, tips, tricks, recipes, stories and other times...not so much.

They always have some new "RADICAL" diet featured on the cover and in the middle of the magazine you will see a before and after shot of a woman who lost a certain amount of pounds in a certain amount of days. More then likely the diet will be something absolutely crazy like "Eat healthy!" or "Don't eat 3000 calories a day!" or "Eat fruits and veggies and proteins!" Haha! So wild right? I guess if it helps women pay attention and want to eat better so be it!

Well this month's diet was calorie counting...I know...don't faint at this new, awesome, bizarre approach to weight loss. HOWEVER. It was saying that any woman under 5'4" should eat 1000 calories and 5'4" and over should eat 1200. :noway:

In what world should this happen??? How could a massive magazine get away with writing something like that? I know that being a shortie (I'm 5'3") I eat less calories then the average gal. However, at no point do I think 1000 calories is appropriate...I don't think it: I know it! So what the heck? :grumble:

Replies

• watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I find it very irresponsible for authors to publish such a blanket statement. Weightloss seems to be a very individual thing, dependent on so many factors. Too bad. Seems anyone can get an article, or even a book published for that matter.
  • StephaniePhotoLady
    StephaniePhotoLady Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ever notice how from Oct. - Dec. all the magazines encourage us to load up on yummy treats, etc. Then every January we are encouraged to "diet" and clean out the clutter. The trend is always the same. Unfortunately the diet is always something "new" and often not a healthy approach as you have noted.

The real goal is to change my lifestyle.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Magazines are CRAP. They don't have to give good advice. In fact, what do you think would happen if all the readers DID lose weight? Think about it. They would cancel their subscriptions. Not exactly the goal of a publication.
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I so agree. Today to be healthy and lose weight is such a madhouse! I just hope like you, everyone will do some research. It is so important in a world of such diet confusion!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I tend to read a lot of fitness or weight related magazines now as I'm drawn to it. This so far was the most outrageous however I've read some very absurd articles. It is just so ridiculous to me since a lot of people hold what is published in black and white as something that is true and holy. I can't believe this magazine would get away with publishing something like that. I had no idea you can basically write whatever you want in a publication!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I want to punch most womens fitness/advice/health magazine columnists in the face.

Or is it more of the publishing company's fault for putting in sensationalist or fad articles? Who knows. All I know is most of them are misinformative and ridiculous.