Vacation tips?

My brief recent history: Been following a 1200 calorie meal plan for less than a month (joined MFP 5/31). Exercise is starting to become routine but is still taking a lot of mental push to do it every day.

My current quandary: Going on a week long vacation. A lot of driving to/from destination. I don't want to miss out on some authentic cuisine or the "vacation" part of vacation. I'm comfortable with knowing I won't lose weight during the trip but hoping not to gain. I don't want to have to start from scratch when I return. Best way is not to HOPE but to PLAN...

We will be doing a lot of strolling during the vacation but nothing too vigorous.

Hotel has a pool. I'm not much of a lapper but it is one option. Maybe take a jump rope for the rest stops?

Any suggestions for nutritious snacks for the 32 hours I'll be in a car (16hrs one way)?

Anyone have tips for not completely derailing the Plan?

Has anyone successfully maintained weight loss over a vacation?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    With only 29 lbs. to go, set your goal no higher than 1 lb. per week—which is way more than 1,200 calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Ldonahue921
    Ldonahue921 Posts: 75 Member
    Thanks.
    I do consistantly eat 13-15 hundred calories a day but try to exercise every day, so I net somewhere around 1200. It is a short term plan right now until my portion control and exericse become routine. Until I can trust my inner gauge, I'm keeping it on a short leash.

That being said, I need some suggestions for at least maintaining my current weight while on vacation. Leisure walking is going to be the bulk of my activity. Hotel does not have a gym and I don't have any portable equipement (other than my own junk in the trunk) :grumble:

Not currently able to do more than a handful of knee push-ups or hold a full plank longer than a few breaths (up to 20 sec hold).
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Deprivation can lead to bingeing. So you're right to be worried about going on vacay after starving yourself for a month.

That said, I find it easy to be more active on vacation—there's so much to see & do. So keep moving!
  • icegirl99
    icegirl99 Posts: 2 Member
    I am pretty bad myself about sticking to healthy eating and regular exercise on vacation. I try to keep a realistic perspective, understanding that eating restaurant food every day is going to offer more temptations and more calories than my usual routine.

To keep it under control while I'm away, I will try to stick to eating similar things to what I eat at home. For example, I eat oatmeal for breakfast a lot, so will choose that if it's an option. I don't eat breakfast pastries at home, but they ALWAYS tempt me when I'm away, so I remind myself that they don't suddenly become zero calories because they are on a breakfast buffet. :) I also am a big dessert fan. At home I eat small pieces of chocolate, but have a hard time saying no to real dessert. I sometimes carry little treats so that I can have something without succumbing to a piece of cake after every dinner. And restaurant portions are huge, so I try to pay attention to when I am really full and not feel bad about leaving food on the plate.

I also carry healthy snacks like nuts, fruit, snack bars, etc., so that I don't get ravenously hungry and majorly overeat at my meals. Since you are driving, you can probably pack a good bit of your own food so that you have some things that you are familiar with - how they fill you up, how many calories they have, etc.

I use the mobile MyFitnessPal app and try to keep track of food and exercise like normal, so that I don't feel like all of my calories are freebies.

Basically, my biggest downfalls when I'm away are eating way bigger portions than usual and being more permissive with eating junk than I would be at home. Paying more attention really helps me with that. With the extra calories, salt and alcohol, I will most likely come home carrying a few extra pounds and feel really bloated. I drink a ton of water when I get home and usually take off a couple pounds of bloat really quickly. Then get right back to the healthy eating and exercise routine! Good luck!
  • Ldonahue921
    thanks, again.

I'm really not starving or feeling deprived at all. I actually have to push myself to eat that much. I am losing about 1-2 pounds per week since I started MFP and I am starting to feel better and slowly raising my energy levels. I'm really trying to do this the healthy way. I know I have to fuel the machine and understand the mechanics of it. The harder I work, the more fuel I need.

I removed most of the fat/sugar laden foods I tend to snack on. I do allow myself treats but within reason. I eat lots of salads with all the colorful veggies I can find. I eat lean meats, poached eggs, etc. I even supplement with well-researched homemade protein/green/fruit smoothies. I eat a healthy breakfast every day.

I just know that most of the snacks available on the road are DEVIL SPAWN and I want to have a plan of attack to avoid my usual pitfalls of sweets, hot chocolate and vending machine temptations.
  • RyanG2106
    RyanG2106 Posts: 29
    Reverse diet (add in calories) in the weeks leading up to your holiday.

Nothing dramatic just add 100 calories a week (anything more and you risk putting your body into store mode), It'll fire up your metabolism and will also help you find that maintaince point (useful to know anyway).

You'll be surprised how high you can get your calories, I recently reversed dieted from 1900 calories a day to find my maintaince point at 2800.

Enjoy the extra food, and you'll most likely find that when your holiday is over you should be able to carry on losing weight consuming more calories than you are now.

Win Win really
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Bring a cooler packed with good choices - fruit, cut up veggies, cheese sticks, yogurt, sandwiches or wraps, nuts, popcorn, etc.
    Bring lots of water or other low cal beverages to keep you hydrated. If you know there are certain things you will be tempted by, bring something that might hit the same spot (a single serving of sweets, etc.).

You can actually eat a relatively decent meal at most fast food places if you plan it out - Chickfila, Wendy's and McDonalds all have good salads if you look them up and watch the dressing/toppings. Look up your options ahead of time.

Don't plan all your vacation activities around food (unless you are on some kind of special foodie road trip) - see nature, museums, read a good book, sit on the beach (whatever you are going on vacation to do).

Choose your vacation indulgences wisely - make good choices for most of the day (the same kind of choices you are making regularly now), then if you want enjoy a nice dinner, or a special dessert, or a great bottle of wine, or that awesome local ice cream, etc. - just not all of it every day.

Most of all - have fun - it is vacation after all!
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    When I went on vacation, I tried to pack healthy options in the car. I brought whole fruit such as apples and peaches (things that didn't need peeling and could survive a little bumpiness, without needed refrigeration.) I also put lots of water in the ice chest. One funny (not to me at the time...)... we had agreed to stop for breakfast at a fast food restaurant. I have not really had any fast food in a while. The kids and my hubby all ordered sausage mcgriddles (gag me...) and after studying the menu, I ordered the fruit and yogurt parfait. Guess what they didn't have? Yep. I was so kindly offered an apple pie since I must be "vegetarian." lol I passed on getting anything there and got a pack of unsalted nuts at the next gas station we came to along the way. Next time, I'll pack nuts as well. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I just got back from a month in Italy with my family - my husband was teaching abroad. I ate pastries for breakfast, gelato every day, all the pizza and pasta that Italy has to offer, and consumed copious amounts of wine. We walked everywhere. I mean literally everywhere, we didn't have a car. I did no other exercise other than the daily walking, but we did a lot of it.

I was a little nervous to get on the scale when I got back, but was pleasantly surprised to find a 3 lb gain over where I was when I left and well within my maintenance range. That's after a month and I've been back for a week, got back into my exercise routine, and am starting to see the three pounds start to go away already.

In one week, you will not undo all your progress, even if you totally go off the rails. You should enjoy your trip, make mindful choices (sounds like you already are with all your planning ahead), but don't deprive yourself of anything. Those leisurely walks will add up - you could also get a FitBit or something before you go to see just how many calories you are burning. I would also recommend still logging while you are on vacation. When you get home, even if things have gone up, they will quickly go back down when you get back on track.

Have fun!
  • Ldonahue921
    Thanks, everyone, for all the great suggestions. Will definitely keep these in mind while I'm in New Orleans. My boyfriend and I are kinda foodies so it makes me a little nervous to think of all the GREAT new foods to try there.

Kinda hoping the heat and humidty lower my appetite. LOL

Kruggeri, a month in Italy and only 3# gained? Awesome! That is truly inspiring.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Thanks, everyone, for all the great suggestions. Will definitely keep these in mind while I'm in New Orleans. My boyfriend and I are kinda foodies so it makes me a little nervous to think of all the GREAT new foods to try there.

Kinda hoping the heat and humidty lower my appetite. LOL

Kruggeri, a month in Italy and only 3# gained? Awesome! That is truly inspiring.

Thanks!

I'm a foodie too.... New Orleans is awesome - there is so much good food there! But also that is a city you will walk a lot in, so that should help offset things!
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    What I've done the couple of times I've had to travel since joining MFP is set my intake to maintenance during the weeks I'm out of town. This way I know that I'm not actually OVEREATING, just not eating at a deficit.
    AND if there is activity be sure to log it.
    Enjoy your vacation!!
  • Ldonahue921
    Good idea. I think I'll do that. I cringe at thinking of staying at this weight but you've got a point. I'm not going to try to lose while I'm on vacation and it is only 1 week. I can go back to deficit when I return.

See? This is why I ask questions. Sometimes you know the answer should be obvious but you just can't see it.

Thanks.