Non-runners success with C25K???

Options
13»

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I will add, look up parkrun ( www.parkrun.com )
    I don't know if you're in the US (very few) or in the UK (a lot of them) or elsewhere.
    If there is a parkrun close by, go to it!!!!
    If it's anything like parkrun in Aus you will find people of ALL levels there, those that can blitz the track to those that walk that track and can take 1hr+ to finish 5km. The amazing thing is, that those that blitz the track are usually still there to cheer on those who take an hour + and if it's an out an back or loop track that see's you crossing paths, your arm gets tired from all the high 5's!!!

I'm in New Zealand :smile:

Well if you're on the North Island you're in luck, South Island only has 1 event so far. Even if it's a bit of a drive and you only make it once or twice a month instead of weekly, do parkrun you won't regret it! :)
    http://www.parkrun.co.nz/events/
  • Kazzam33
    Kazzam33 Posts: 210
    Options
    I don't know if you're in the US (very few) or in the UK (a lot of them) or elsewhere.
    If it's anything like parkrun in Aus you will find people of ALL levels there, those that can blitz the track to those that walk that track and can take 1hr+ to finish 5km. The amazing thing is, that those that blitz the track are usually still there to cheer on those who take an hour + and if it's an out an back or loop track that see's you crossing paths, your arm gets tired from all the high 5's!!!

I'm in New Zealand :smile:

Well if you're on the North Island you're in luck, South Island only has 1 event so far. Even if it's a bit of a drive and you only make it once or twice a month instead of weekly, do parkrun you won't regret it! :)
    http://www.parkrun.co.nz/events/

Thanks!! I will look into it. :happy:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I did the c25k back when u started trying to lose weight. It was tough but once I figured out how to run slow it got a lot better. I now run 2 5k's a week and one long run on the weekend and look forward to most of them :) .
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I started out as a total non-runner. I had tried to get into running a few times and hated it.

Then I decided to give it one more shot. Went to a specialty running store to get good shoes and followed C25K. I did the plan (though it took me extra time, too and I was pretty slow at first; ran around 4.2-4.8mph during much of the program). I started it in January 2013. Since then I've run four 5Ks with a 29:20 PR (next goal is sub-28) and ran my first 10K in May. Still not the fastest runner by any stretch but I've done better with it than I had expected!

Also, I did almost the whole program on a treadmill, then right when I ended I did my first 5K race outside. Since I was so slow, I was just hoping to run in about 40-45 minutes but did that first race in 36:05 even though I wasn't used to hills or running outside. ;)
  • LadyDi126
    LadyDi126 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have already chimed in with fantastic advice, but I just wanted to add my voice as well. Running was terrible when I started! I didn't think I would ever, ever be able to do it. In fact, I only ran 3 miles ONCE before running my first 5k.

My advice is that even really good runners have really bad days. One day you might run 3 miles and think it was going pretty well, and a few days later you might not be able to get into a groove and give up (or want to give up) after a mile. It happens! Doesn't make you a bad runner! Just keep pressing on and sticking with it (SLOWLY!) and you will make it!
  • catcow888
    catcow888 Posts: 37
    Options
    I live in Australia and I really want to do a park run! Oh my, this makes me feel so much better about it cause I was super worried that I'd be too slow and it would be embarrassing.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Never was a runner.. first time I every really did was when I started c25k. I have to be honest I love running now. I moved on to the c210k app after that. A small foot injury is curtailing my running now but as soon as Im able Ill be back at it again. My plan is to start the program over Not the fastest runner but I don't care

There were many times I was painting and looked like a hot mess when I was running. Also there were plenty of times I thought I couldn't ever make it past the next week. Repeat weeks or days when you feel you need to. Its your program customize it the way you want. Good Luck and Happy Running
  • catcow888
    catcow888 Posts: 37
    Options

I live in Australia and I really want to do a park run! Oh my, this makes me feel so much better about it cause I was super worried that I'd be too slow and it would be embarrassing.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    life-long non-runner. started c25k weighing in at 200 about a year and a half ago. now run about 25 miles a week. don't love it, but love eating, so its my motivation.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I went from being a never-ran-for-or-from-anything-in-my-life to completing the C25K program last October, running a 5K race, increasing mileage to 6.1 miles and running a 10K race and then increasing mileage until I almost got to completing training for a half marathon.

I stopped because I realized I loved lifting weights more and racing just wasn't my thing. I still run up to 4 or 5 miles, usually keep it at 3, but I may pick it back up again in the fall.

My point is yep, you CAN train yourself to run even if you have never done it before. What worked for me:

1. I started running after I lost a considerable amount of weight. I don't promote running when someone is rather heavy.

2. I bought my shoes at a running store after having my gait tested as well as pronation, etc.

3. I started slow. My focus was going farther rather than faster initially.

4. I still take it slow when I need to although I now run sprints and do well.

5. I never ran a race to beat anybody else or establish a PR. I run because I like it (I still don't love it!) not because I'm being chased or chasing something.

6. I put a lot of attention on form and watched many, many youtube videos to learn how to run or even jog properly, how to breathe properly, how to place my feet on the ground properly. That was so important and helpful to me.

7. Running can make you hungry. It can make you very hungry so watch your calorie intake.

8. Edited to add: I have never experienced runner's high. Not once. I like how running makes my body feel when I am done but I've never experienced the peace out feeling or rush some say they feel. It's still an activity that requires effort on my part.
  • EverSinging
    EverSinging Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am no longer a non-runner, but I used to be! I unsuccessfully attempted C25K on more than one occasion before running stuck for me. I think it probably could work, but it has to be done right. I think the biggest enemy is going too fast...and that's whether you start running with C25K or just head out. My first successful run almost 2 years ago, at 50 lbs heavier than I am now, was quite possibly the slowest mess you've ever seen trucking around a lake on a 1.2 mile loop. I went with a friend. I never would have made it without her. She kept making me slow down. I couldn't believe I "ran" (and by running I imagine it probably looked more like speed walking with running motions) the whole loop. I hadn't run a mile in nearly 2 decades prior to that, and I only did it then because we had to do it for a fitness test in 7th grade. I never thought I could be a runner. 2 years later I'm 50 lbs lighter, and I can run a 5K easy peazy...do it several times a week. I'm working toward a half this fall. ;) So, here are my personal tips for success:

1. Before you start, get yourself some good running shoes. Go to a specialty running store and let them watch you walk and such and help you pick the right pair. I'd have never made it otherwise.
    2. Slow and steady may not win a race, but it'll get you across the finish line, as opposed to the huffers and puffers who run too fast and run out of steam (which is what I see most often with C25K failure...and was my mistake too).
    3. For me, I rotate interesting places to run. If the loops are too small, or I have to backtrack, I get bored and want to quit.
    4. Music you like. I found I could estimate how far I had been, or motivate myself to go "one more song" with music playing better than without.
    5. For me it was about distance, not time, which is not the same thing C25K used. The one I tried to use had me running a 5K WAY faster than I was really able, by ending with me running like 30 minutes straight, but that was too fast a 5K pace for me. I still don't do one quite that fast. My first 5K took me 37 minutes (and it was in like 95 degree heat and I've never been prouder! ) and I wasn't last! Pace improves over time. The important thing is you're moving! :)

Good luck!
  • Kazzam33
    Options
    life-long non-runner. started c25k weighing in at 200 about a year and a half ago. now run about 25 miles a week. don't love it, but love eating, so its my motivation.

I love food too!! :heart:

That's why I wanted to kick my exercise up a notch & do C25K. Now that Ive lost a reasonable amount of weigh my exercise doesn't allow me as much caloric kick back so I cant rely on that to allow me to be able to eat more. I figured if I was running I would burn more & subsequently be able to eat more & still stay under my daily calorie setting. :smile:
  • Kazzam33
    Options
    I have good shoes. I dropped a small fortune on them as well but I have a wide set foot so most normal trainers don't fit quite right. I have pretty good balance (according to all the scans they did.) & don't seem to lean out to either side of my foot too much so that's handy. They are super comfy so I'm glad I got them. I'm sure they will be helpful in the longer term.
  • steviebe75
    steviebe75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to Everyone on here that has come in with their own story, advice or even just motivation. This shows we are not the only ones who at first were embarrased to run outside etc.
    I often see people who wouldn't be classed as the sporty type out there doing their run and yes you see the odd person staring but you know what, that person who is their trying to change their life is worth 10 of the person who stares. Good luck to everyone with their running. On a personal note I got in from work yesterday to find my pack for The BUPA Great North 10k race which is my warm up for the BUPA Great North Run (Half Marathon) so 19 days until the 10k and I am estimating a time of approx 65mins.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do anything that I wasn't enjoying.

If you really have a burning desire to run, then why not try it again in 10kg time... In the meantime, eat well, keep a deficit and do some other activity that you enjoy.

Or, if you have a burning desire to run NOW - then it might be your form that needs work. I am also pretty sure that the programme suggests repeating weeks if you feel you aren't ready to move it up a notch, so don't feel pressured to do it in the time suggested. It takes longer for some people.

Whatever you choose, be careful not to injure yourself of you will be out of action for possibly longer than you think.
  • claireweaire
    claireweaire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would also look at the times that are best for you to run. I am better in evenings, my body seems to react better when I have eaten well throughout the day rather than 1st thing in the morning having just had breakfast. I have done the C25k programme and got out of the habit so I am back on it. Treadmill or road running you can do it but if you need to repeat don't beat yourself up. I have very little cardio fitness so it takes me a lot longer than most to get into it. I can now run for 2 x 10 min slots which for some isnt great but for me its massive!

i also found to pace myself I chose music that was a little bit more chilled, I was trying to keep up with the music.

Dont give up it will be a massive acheivement when you complete it x
  • Cathi888
    Cathi888 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Running is a type of gait, not a speed.

I think I just heard my brain click over to understanding mode. I am going to start C25K on Sunday and after numerous fumbles, I think I just got it.

I was thinking about just modifying the program as walk casual/walk more briskly for the alloted time. I am 260 and think I need to lose more weight before I can comfortably put myself there.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm going to recommend you go here and follow this guy's advice: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

He's been training runners of all levels for a long time, and his primary concern is avoiding injury by not overdoing it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm going to recommend you go here and follow this guy's advice: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

He's been training runners of all levels for a long time, and his primary concern is avoiding injury by not overdoing it.

Lots of people like the Galloway method, lots of people don't. It does tend to get a little religious for it's adeherents though.

Personally I found that once I'd finished the C25K plan, and then consolidated on that for six weeks or so using the NHS C25K+ podcasts that the run/ walk thing didn't work for me. I went onto a 10K plan that reintroduced walk breaks and I found myself very uncomfortable with them.

Even on Sunday when I did an eight mile session I stopped for a couple of minutes about 5 miles in, to eat a gel and drink some water, and then starting up again was quite uncomfortable.

That's not to say that I don't now walk when I'm out on one of my long runs, 8-12 miles, but I do that on my terms. It means I can enjoy the run rather than counting short periods of run/ walk.

And with respect to the earlier question, I started using C25K about 15 months ago as an adjunct ot losing weight, at around 200lbs. I've lost nearly 3 stone, and realised that what was more important to me was running performance than weight. I'm now on half marathon distance and really enjoy my long runs through forestry and offroad.