Cold Running and Breathing

Options
Hey all! With winter upon us, I have been avoiding outdoor runs despite liking them way more than runs on the treadmill. The problem is that the cold air burns my lungs and I end up coughing for the next couple hours. Was just wondering if anyone else out there had that issue and/or a solution to the stupid cold air. Is it something I will just get used to it if I suck it up and run outside??

Replies

• catodd
    catodd Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It could be what you call exercise asthma. Things like this are best not ignored go see your doctor they might give you an inhaler. See if that works
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Might be worth getting checked out medically just to be sure. The cold air effects my chest but i'm asthmatic and changes in temp can play quite a big part.

The only thing I can suggest if you do want to try it is a scarf around your mouth and nose so youre breathing in slightly warmer air
  • reenyb
    reenyb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Im exactly the same - advice is to try and breathe through your nose to warm up the air a bit but never really been successful at that! Im usually fine by next day and doesnt seem to do much harm :) Been running for about a month in temps just above or below freezing and sort of getting a bit more used to it, tho still a fair bit of coughing at the first few hits of coooold air. The joys of living in NE Scotland!

Reeny x
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Those little facemasks have worked for me. But after few runs the cold doesnt bother my breathing and I get used to it.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Those little facemasks have worked for me. But after few runs the cold doesnt bother my breathing and I get used to it.

This is my suggestion too
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    Definitely a scarf - easy to remove if you get really warm! I used to do this when I was in college.

Unfortunately for me (not sure if you're the same), if I run inside, I'm plagued by just as much coughing because of the dry, stale air. So if I run outside, it's frigid cold air - if I run inside, it's stagnant, dry air.
  • shoover10
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I don't think it is asthma since I am fine when the air is not freezing. I'll try a scarf or mask and see if that helps me acclimate to the frigid air. :-)
  • starlitesue
    Options
    I have a similar problem, the cold air makes it nearly impossible for me to breathe (I think it might be asthma related though). Here is the product that allows me to breathe outdoors in the winter, it keeps your breath warm:

http://www.rei.com/product/791254

It's not cheap, but it's worth every penny. Now I can run, bike, ski, snowshoe with no worries. And my glasses never fog up.

It has the added benefit of looking bad *kitten* when I'm biking!
  • pinecone
    pinecone Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I take a much less admirable way. I only run outside in the summer.

So shoot me!
  • izobel
    izobel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That REI gizmo is WILD :-)
  • bluemagic33
    bluemagic33 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I take a much less admirable way. I only run outside in the summer.

So shoot me!

Yeah me too :)
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I've got "reactive airway" (aka asthma but usually at only times of the year). Exercising in the cold used to bother me, but for some reason I've been a lot better this year. I don't do scarves or masks - I feel like all I'm getting is my own just exhaled carbon dioxide when I do that. I just make sure I take my warm-up a little slower and build to a faster pace. I also try to time my breathing to my steps - two steps to the breath in through my nose, two steps to the breath out through my mouth. I keep my inhaler with me (there CAN be such a thing as exercise-induced asthma where you wouldn't have symptoms at other times) just in case, but I've hardly had to use it.