ABC's Extreme Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of reality tv, BUT...I like Extreme Weight Loss and My 600lb Life (which I think is on TLC).

I like these shows, b/c it follows the people for a year+. I used to watch The Biggest Loser, but the competition aspect started to annoy me...and it didn't cover enough of the "back story" of the contestants. I think the reason that some of Extreme Weight Loss feels "contrived" is that the show has a year's worth of material that has to be cut down to 2 hours; so you are going to get the highlights...it makes for better tv.

I was really happy for the guy on EWL last night.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    we all would be super fit and have perfect BMI's our jobs and lives were devoted to nothing but loosing weight and getting fit. Look how quickly celebrities loose weight after having children. Hey I had my kid so now I will work with my personal trainer, Personal chef and nanny so I can focus on my body!
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a really big fan of the show. I think that both Chris and Heidi have the right kind of attitude and they obviously care a lot about the people that they're training.

It is leagues better than The Biggest Loser in part because for 3/4 of their journey, they're at home and figuring out how to change their lifestyle (while they're still going to work) for the better and how to accomplish it on their own.

I also really appreciate that it appears that they have some sort of psychological training because they always address the psychological issues that allowed the contestants to climb to such a huge weight. It's also great that they pay for the skin removal surgery. So many people would just kill for that after losing so much and it's really nice of them to give them that opportunity.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    we all would be super fit and have perfect BMI's our jobs and lives were devoted to nothing but loosing weight and getting fit. Look how quickly celebrities loose weight after having children. Hey I had my kid so now I will work with my personal trainer, Personal chef and nanny so I can focus on my body!

So true..If I won the lottery I would pay some college football strength & conditioning coach to work with me for 2-3 years. Obviously college FB players are blessed to begin with but their bodies are transformed from age 17-18 to when they are 19-20. It basically their job to lift weights, train and eat right year round and throw in a little school here and there.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I did watch part of this show the other night, I had never heard of it and just ran across it when I was flipping through channels.
    I watched maybe 20 minutes and then flipped because I have a short fuse for sap and sob stories, especially when it goes on and on...and on.

The Biggest Loser annoys me a lot too because I feel like they take every effort possible to get the contestants and the audience to cry and blubber about their past and their psychological issues. It's tiring and most of the time I don't see the relevance of any of it.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options

So true..If I won the lottery I would pay some college football strength & conditioning coach to work with me for 2-3 years. Obviously college FB players are blessed to begin with but their bodies are transformed from age 17-18 to when they are 19-20. It basically their job to lift weights, train and eat right year round and throw in a little school here and there.

Oh this is the worst mindset ever. The brutal truth is, you're fat and weak because you are! The only reason you cant improve yourself is you. I had that mindset of "if I just had this or that then I would be perfect too" it was just a big lie I was telling myself and it kept me fat for 20 years. The faster you ditch that thinking the happier you will be.

I used to like shows like this but in a way it's bad because it reenforces that mindset of you need people to help you. When in fact if you look at most of the people on this site, they didn't have any of that stuff and they did just fine.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I love this show!! Host Chris and his wife are an amazing examples of good health and fitness. As for Bruce and his story, how could you not feel for the young man. Not only did he lose 201 pounds he overcame his past!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Wasn't the baseball player also the guy who still lived with his Mom and cried when she tried to get him move out or was that another guy?

Anyway, I did really like this week's episode as Bruce was never negative, never wanted to quit and only worked hard the whole year. That's what sort of kills it for me and some of the others on the show who are given this opportunity and throw it away. Both of the trainers are really involved and know how to motivate!

The only thing that really bothered me on this episode was the parole hearing. Chris had his arm around Bruce and was comforting him (which was nice), but it was like that part was set up for TV as it should have been Bruce's family being able to comfort him. Not his trainer. Not that I don't think Chris cares, but this is a huge emotional event for this young man and we shouldn't be setting it up as a made for TV event. Truly, I don't think we should have watched it at all, but possibly Bruce wanted other victims of abuse to know it is all right to stand up for yourself. I assume showing this was his decision.

So all in all this week I was thrilled for Bruce and his progress for the year. He worked hard and stayed focused and positive and I can see him motivating others.
  • conklil
    conklil Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes watch that show with my son (11 years old) and every commercial, we'll do sit-ups together...him pushing me. I like the show but sometimes just want to relax during those commercials :)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

The thing about reality TV though is that all of the people agree to be involved (knowing there are perks, possibly a paycheck and a hint of fame) so it's hard to feel bad for them. I doubt producers need to coerce anyone to be involved simply because if one person says no to the terms there are likely hundreds of others who will follow blindly.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The only thing that really bothered me on this episode was the parole hearing. Chris had his arm around Bruce and was comforting him (which was nice), but it was like that part was set up for TV as it should have been Bruce's family being able to comfort him. Not his trainer. Not that I don't think Chris cares, but this is a huge emotional event for this young man and we shouldn't be setting it up as a made for TV event. Truly, I don't think we should have watched it at all, but possibly Bruce wanted other victims of abuse to know it is all right to stand up for yourself. I assume showing this was his decision.

I definitely took it as Bruce wanting people to see that victims of abuse can be strong and they can face their abuser. It's one thing to say that he stood up for himself but it's another to prove it by showing that he did. The only thing that seemed a bit strange to me was that the courts allowed this to be aired at all. If I were Bruce's father I would've tried my hardest to not let that happen. But maybe the parole board thought that it would be good for people who were victims of abuse. And maybe the American court system is different than it is here (Canada) when it comes to what can and cannot be broadcast, which is why that seems strange to me.

And I took no issue with Chris having his arm around him at the time. Chris was the person who initially advised him that it would be beneficial for him to confront his father so that he could move past what happened to him. So I think that it makes sense that he would literally be comforting and supporting him during such a time of stress. And his mother and brother were sitting right next to him, his mom leaning into him as well so clearly she was supporting him at the time. And there are also moments that they don't show us. I'm certain that they hugged each other before and afterwards and that words of encouragement were shared between them.
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love the show and I love Chris Powell!! No I don't buy his books or anything but I love him. The show is so inspiring! I have watched from season 1 and Bruce's transformation was by far one of the best. What an amazing person and when you think of all he's been through, to still be so positive and encouraging and a role model for his team even before the weightloss, I was so happy for him.
    The show always explores the contestants lives and issues that lead to obesity. You don't get to 400 pounds just because you like food and you can't make a lifelong transformation wi though facing your demons., he is not the first to have admitted abuse so have others, as well as abandonment, loss of loved ones, etc.
    Maybe it's the magic of television, whatever. But I do feel sincerity from Chris and Heidi. I follow them on FB and Instagram and they always talk about their contestants being part of their family and still keep in touch. There is not magic and it's not always easy (boy Bruce had no problem sticking with the program but a lot do and they show that too) it's hard work and commitment. Maybe the level of change in one year is extreme (hence the shows title!) but it shows anything is possible.
  • lovesquirrels
    lovesquirrels Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of the show until Chris Powell gave a talk at our University. I really do like the show... but WAH! I want a skin reduction surgery!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

Oh this is the worst mindset ever. The brutal truth is, you're fat and weak because you are! The only reason you cant improve yourself is you. I had that mindset of "if I just had this or that then I would be perfect too" it was just a big lie I was telling myself and it kept me fat for 20 years. The faster you ditch that thinking the happier you will be.

I used to like shows like this but in a way it's bad because it reenforces that mindset of you need people to help you. When in fact if you look at most of the people on this site, they didn't have any of that stuff and they did just fine.

yea i agree with this and I think the baseball player is a perfect example of how the problem always lays with the individual.

no matter how much help, time or oppertunity one has, you're not going to reach your goal without some self supplied motivation, and solving or at least address/acknowledging the issues that caused you to be fat in the first place.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Wasn't the baseball player also the guy who still lived with his Mom and cried when she tried to get him move out or was that another guy?

idk but the baseball player was a 19 year old kid... so not that suprising he lives at home, but don't think to many 19 year olds would cry much leaving home lol.

He did not want to move away from his home town tho (he did go to denver for the three months), don't remember him crying tho
  • jrwilliams124
    jrwilliams124 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    He made me so mad. And then when he came back after 6 months and they told him he had to come to AZ he said "I just want to be left alone"...... um yeah the door is over there.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    FYI, keep an eye out for "Kenny or Kenneth" (not sure how they will word it) in the next few weeks. He is a friend of mine. Would post pics but can't till the show airs.
  • NoXCuses4me
    Options
    I actually like this show. I've seen a number of episodes, and I enjoyed them all. It's not as annoying as the Biggest Loser, and honestly, the trainer is really nice to look at. :)

Roger this!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    He achieved some amazing results, I just hope he learned what it takes to stay healthy and maintain. I generally like slower rates of weight loss so that I can ease into the steps I need to take to keep the weight off for life.

But seriously though, good for him very happy++++
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!