Help! New Desk Job = anxiety!

Options

Replies

• JeniSue28
    JeniSue28 Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Could you possibly get a stand up desk? We have that option at work and I love it. For those that wanted we got cheap stand up desks from IKEA and tall roller chair, in case you want to sit at some point. Then if you want, you could get a small, portable treadmill for under you desk and walk and work at the same time.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Could you possibly get a stand up desk? We have that option at work and I love it. For those that wanted we got cheap stand up desks from IKEA and tall roller chair, in case you want to sit at some point. Then if you want, you could get a small, portable treadmill for under you desk and walk and work at the same time.

Oooh... where can I get me one of those?
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    SItting at a desk all day sucks. I work from home once or twice a week and I will be lucky to get over 2,000 steps sometimes.

Like someone else suggested try sitting on an excercise ball...

Can you walk around your building? How long will it take? Maybe (weather permitting) every hour you get up and walk (as fast as you can) around the building. I set an appointment on my calendar and try and walk around my floor (sometimes including a flight of stairs) then snooze it for an hour.

Also if you are on long conference calls and have a headset...pace while they are going on.

If you are concerned with your boss just mention to him/her that you are trying to adjust to the enviroment and your hourly walk makes you more productive.

It will probably take less time than any of your office smokers take.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    can you get a mini peddler to use under your desk? maybe something like this
    http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-15-0125-InStride-Folding-Cycle/dp/B0027ZNH2O/ref=sr_1_3
    or this one, which is a lot more expensive but 5" shorter, which should make it fit under any desk
    www.amazon.com/DeskCycle-Exercise-Pedal-Exerciser-White/dp/B00B1VDNQA/ref=sr_1_6

i haven't used either of these - i used a cheaper version of the first one, and i did wear it out after a few months, but hey - during those months, at least i was moving my legs and burning some calories.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i started at a co-op desk job in december for school, and until recently ive maintained a 2 lbs/week loss. its all about diet, having a more or less active job only makes it so you can eat a couple hundred more/less calories. try to get your exercise in afterwards, or if you work close enough to home consider investing in a bike and biking to work, i started doing that a few weeks ago
  • gimmieonemore
    gimmieonemore Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do an intense work out before or after work every day. Avoid the break room goodies and lunches out.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me too. That's why working out in the morning is essential for me, or taking nice long walks at lunch. There is no where to go around my job so I just have to walk around each floor or go up and down the stairs a few times. If I don't do any of the above, I'll desperately have to work harder at home. I'll step in place while waiting for my car to warm up, washing my hands, cooking dinner, watching t.v. (I'll walk like an hour watching my favorite show), and etc. You will definitely have to work harder with this new job.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You must be a really tiny person if your maintenance calories are 12-1400 and you're doing all that exercise to boot! I also think your pedometer may be off calibration or something because it seems like with what you are doing, most days you should be getting those 10k steps in, or at least approaching it. Standing during all phone calls and sitting on a ball are good strategies, just make sure you get a big enough ball that you don't throw your ergonomics out the window. You'll end up with a sore neck, back, and shoulders.
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Agree. I'm trying to get one myself. This or the exercise ball chair. I also think you *might* be overthinking this. It for sure is hard to work at a desk all day. I work at a desk all day and have a 1 hr commute...each way. You just have to concentrate a little more on your calories, make sure you're getting the 30 minutes a day however many times a week is recommended (4-5 I *think*). If you're doing that, I wouldn't worry *too* much about the steps. However, it does sound like there may be something off with your pedometer. 4 miles and only 6000 steps for the day?? O_o

The hardest part for me was the cookies, cakes, candies, etc that everyone brought in to get it out of their house. :indifferent: The fact that you're mindful of it is a very big step in the right direction!
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm already only eating 1200-1400 calories. I can't cut back any more or I'd starve. I'm not just concerned about weight gain, just mental sanity and keeping my heart healthy, etc. A lot of people are suggesting walking before or after work, but as I mentioned in my post, I'm running before work, walking my dog at lunch, and walking after work. My 4 mile run on Monday only got me to about 6000 steps so that was the closest I've gotten, but I don't want to be running 4 days miles a day...

Is there anyone who has NOT had significant issues/weight gain/etc after starting an office job?

I've been a secretary for 25 years. I've struggled with my weight, but it has nothing to do with my job. And I have successfully lost when I put my mind to it. It's true office work can be hard on your weight, but somehow you have to find a way. It sounds like you're very dedicated and are doing what you can. I sense the frantic worry about gaining, but excessive anxiety won't help the situation. So far you are working some exercise in and others have had some good suggestions.

I know it isn't ideal. But there are a wide variety of DVDs, free You Tube videos, and exercise programs posted on Amazon that can produce great results. Depending how close you are to work, you could bike there if you have a bike. You can try to keep the running up in the morning for a little while and see if you can get use to it (walking is good too, in addition to your dog walks). Maybe you can find a fitness buddy at work. Maybe even just focus on your diet and pick up exercise again once you are settled in. Not exercising can be healthy too, and will always be there to pick up again.

As one commenter said, you may simply have to get used to it, but a lot of little things can add up to something good. Good luck!
  • gimmieonemore
    gimmieonemore Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Running four miles a day is just baseline fitness stuff. If something like that is out of the question, then why even ask the question?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I sit on my azz in front of a computer 8 hours a day plus 1 hour of driving and I've managed to maintain my weight loss. How? I go for walks on my coffee and lunch breaks. I get up every so often and walk around the office. I prepare my snacks and lunch the night before. I workout in the evenings.

It can be done.
  • Choobey
    Choobey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    can you get a mini peddler to use under your desk? maybe something like this
    http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-15-0125-InStride-Folding-Cycle/dp/B0027ZNH2O/ref=sr_1_3
    or this one, which is a lot more expensive but 5" shorter, which should make it fit under any desk
    www.amazon.com/DeskCycle-Exercise-Pedal-Exerciser-White/dp/B00B1VDNQA/ref=sr_1_6

i haven't used either of these - i used a cheaper version of the first one, and i did wear it out after a few months, but hey - during those months, at least i was moving my legs and burning some calories.

OMG this is awesome! I never knew they made these. I now work in a much smaller office, luckily there are places to walk though. When I go to the restroom I pass the one that is 10 steps away and take a 500 step walk to the restroom each time! I think I am going to buy one of these!
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm already only eating 1200-1400 calories. I can't cut back any more or I'd starve. I'm not just concerned about weight gain, just mental sanity and keeping my heart healthy, etc. A lot of people are suggesting walking before or after work, but as I mentioned in my post, I'm running before work, walking my dog at lunch, and walking after work. My 4 mile run on Monday only got me to about 6000 steps so that was the closest I've gotten, but I don't want to be running 4 days miles a day...

Is there anyone who has NOT had significant issues/weight gain/etc after starting an office job?

Yeah...there's something wrong with your pedometer, or your steps per outing on those walks. I work in a office, and I don't even get up as often as I should. On gym rest days I can still exceed 10,000 steps. I don't every day but I do most and for the days I don't I'm still over 8,000. To do that all I'm doing is walking into work, walking aorund work (just like you), walking on lunch and running a mere 2 miles after work. My lunchtime walk usually totals about 2.5 miles.

If you're running 4 miles before work, walking the dog at lunch, and walking after work 10,000 steps should be incredibly easy.

Regarding weight gain at a desk job - it happened to me, but it was my own fault. You have less activity but let's be honest with ourselves, working retail on your feet is not exactly "physical activity". It's better than not moving, but only marginally. Eating right and exercise is all it takes. I've lost 38 lbs at this same desk job since January '14 with weight training, eating right, and running 2-3 days a week, two miles at a time. At this oh-so-deadly desk job I still get to eat over 2000 calories per day at 197 lbs listed as sedentary before exercise...and that's at a 1/2 lb per week deficit. I highly doubt I'd be eating much more if I was simply on my feet all day.
  • StephanieBrocious
    StephanieBrocious Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and use a DeskCycle throughout the day while I'm stationary. I usually end up cycling about 21 miles and burning a little over 500 calories --- all while doing work! I purchased the DeskCycle through amazon, I found it to be decently priced and I love it, use it every day. Just a thought :)

http://www.amazon.com/DeskCycle-Exercise-Pedal-Exerciser-White/dp/B00B1VDNQA
  • Vecch09
    Vecch09 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    See if you can get a stand-up desk. They are very small (a bi-level of sort) and are very nice. My company just starting installing these in our offices as requested. I love it!
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Another reason I love living in NYC. The walk from my apartment, to the subway, out of the subway, and to my office is almost 3,000 steps. However, I work my butt off to stay in shape. I run a lot, I'd say about 45 miles a week in offseason (more than that when marathon training) and I'll hit the gym 3-4 days out of the week to lift or do tabata/TRX max. Diet is everything! I've fallen into the trap of thinking I can eat whatever I want. Nope! Drink tons of water while at the office, keep the happy hours to a minimum, and stay away from the treats coworkers have around.....well not all the time, but keep within your goal if you indulge.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That doesn't seem right. I walk 4 miles in an hour. Four miles is almost 10,000 steps. Your pedometer isn't calibrated properly or isn't registering properly. I've had that happen.

You may also take long strides (which is frustrating). My husband literally takes 5 steps for my 4 (even though I'm taller). We do the same walk. He gets more steps.

But if you're doing what you say, you should be fine anyway.
  • VTRutz
    VTRutz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that it sounds like your pedometer is off kilter.... depending on your stride your 4 mile run should get you 5k+ steps on its own. Then not to mention all the walking around the office, walking the dog... On days I do NOTHING but sit at my desk and go home I still get at least 5k steps in. something sounds funny here!! Is there a way you can check it for accuracy?