TDEE and Weight Loss

Options
So I've been logging here for just over a month now (yay!) and have seen some good results, 5lbs down so far. However, I have some questions that I was hoping some of the more veteran MFP'ers could help me with.

I'm fairly certain I'm following the TDEE method properly and trying to keep all of my levels within an acceptable range (I've got an open diary and am very open to constructive criticism), although some days I go a bit off track. I've been doing stronglifts and C25K (rest day is Sunday).

Aside from a general critique to make sure I'm on the right track, my question is this: The weight that I have lost so far all came off in one quick whoosh right at the beginning. Since then the scale has not budged one ounce in the last few weeks. I'm not looking for any quick miracles obviously, but I do want to make sure I'm doing things right. I have lost inches (from 37-34 in the waist) which I'm very happy about, but I don't understand how I've done this without dropping more than 5lbs. I know that I'm not putting on any real muscle as I'm eating in a deficit.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open/public.

General thoughts - are you weighing your food, logging everything? When you go 'off track' do you still log/count those calories? If not - what are examples, as you may want to determine if the # of extra calories is enough to negate your deficit the rest of the week.

If you are being accurate & consistency about your calories in, you may just need to give it time. The 'stall' for the past few weeks could easily be due to high sodium and/or TOM. Keep it up for another 2-3 weeks.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open/public.

General thoughts - are you weighing your food, logging everything? When you go 'off track' do you still log/count those calories? If not - what are examples, as you may want to determine if the # of extra calories is enough to negate your deficit the rest of the week.

If you are being accurate & consistency about your calories in, you may just need to give it time. The 'stall' for the past few weeks could easily be due to high sodium and/or TOM. Keep it up for another 2-3 weeks.

Whoops, sorry, it's now open to the public.

I am weighing my food and being pretty good with details because I know how important that is. And yep, I definitely log all of the times I go out to eat or have something that's less than healthy. So am I am aware of those calories too.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    The weight you lost in the beginning was water weight which is typical when starting a diet and exercise routine. I would allow 4-6 weeks before I'd worry if I were you.

Also, please keep in mind that your starting calorie amount is an estimate at best and is only a starting point in your weight loss journey. Weight isn't linear, it can bounce up and down like a zig zag, but over time you should still notice a downward trend.

Here's what i would do for now
    1. Make sure you are weighing everything properly. Even peanut butter should be weighed on a scale, not a measuring cup. Liquids belong in a measuring cup or spoon measurement.
    2. If you exercise, calories burnt will always be an estimate. MFP's estimate is un reliable in my opinion so if I find myself using it I cut the amount of calories in half, worst case scenario I under report and add more to my calorie deficit. Even the elliptical I use is an estimate, but I feel safer using it because it has a heart rate sensor and I can input my weight and age.
    3. after 6 weeks if your weight loss is stalled and you are sure about the two above, then maybe consider lowering your calorie amount by 10% and see what happens. Don't go under 1,200 for any reason.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    With 33 lbs. to go, a healthy loss is 1 lb. per week. You're doing great!

For good, basic information, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • IoveIy
    IoveIy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    IMO, weighing yourself is a waste of time because of daily water weight fluctuation and muscle growth (for some).

If you're losing inches and noticing your clothes getting looser, then it's working.

Just stick with your caloric deficit and double check your TDEE to be sure you're on the right track. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ This is my favorite calculator.

If you really can't throw the scale out the window, weigh yourself monthly if you can, and try to stay under your macros. I've noticed that you've gone over some of them, and in particular, sodium (which as you know, will cause water retention).

Best of luck! :) Don't give up! These things take a lot of time and patience, and I mean A LOT. -_- lol

P.S. Since I only have 6 lbs. to lose, I can only lose .6 lbs. of fat a week. Bummer. :/ At least I know I'm retaining as much muscle as possible and staying hydrated and healthy. :)
  • bigblondewolf
    Options
    The weight you lost in the beginning was water weight which is typical when starting a diet and exercise routine. I would allow 4-6 weeks before I'd worry if I were you.

Also, please keep in mind that your starting calorie amount is an estimate at best and is only a starting point in your weight loss journey. Weight isn't linear, it can bounce up and down like a zig zag, but over time you should still notice a downward trend.

I had sort of figured this was the case because I know I didn't drop 5lbs of fat in just two weeks haha.

I did know that one :) I've been a long time lurker here so I've been trying to read as many of the "posts for newbies" as I can. I've checked my TDEE with Scooby's calculator and will recheck it again when I hit the 10lbs lost mark. So far the trend is a huge whoosh down and then nothing for the past 3 weeks lol.
  • bigblondewolf
    Options
    Bump.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I would be much more happy losing 3 inches than pounds... :)
  • bigblondewolf
    Options
    I would be much more happy losing 3 inches than pounds... :)

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm super happy! I just was more wondering behind the science of how the scale only shows a small loss but the measuring tape shows a big loss. And to make sure I was on the right track with everything :)
  • levicrouch
    levicrouch Posts: 99
    Options
    I noticed your diary shows "You have earned an extra xxx calories from exercise." Are you "eating back" your exercise calories?

On TDEE you would *NOT* want to eat back your exercise calories. While on a "Net calorie" method you would eat back your exercise calories.
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I had sort of figured this was the case because I know I didn't drop 5lbs of fat in just two weeks haha.

I did know that one :) I've been a long time lurker here so I've been trying to read as many of the "posts for newbies" as I can. I've checked my TDEE with Scooby's calculator and will recheck it again when I hit the 10lbs lost mark. So far the trend is a huge whoosh down and then nothing for the past 3 weeks lol.

I'm in the same boat Sarah. I've been stuck between 10-12lbs lost for a while now, BUT I have noticed small difference in my body - my arms are noticeably slimmer, and Blake said he could see the loss in my face and thighs! :)

I wish I took measurements when I started so I knew exactly how much I have lost, but even though the scale hasn't really moved for a while, I am FEELING a lot better!

Keep it up, you're doing awesome! :)
  • bigblondewolf
    Options
    For the most part, no I haven't been eating back my calories. There are a few days when I was hungry or had a serious craving for something and went a bit over, but I don't intentionally eat them back.

Thanks B, I have noticed a difference as well. It's just a bit confusing to see the tape measure movie and the scale not budge one bit lol. You should start taking measurements now! It's neat to see the difference.