advice needed

Options
I am just having a horrible time. When I first decided I was too huge, I lost 28 pounds in less than 3 months. Seemed like perfect amount, I was feeling energetic and consistent. I'm not sure exactly when it happened or why, but I have been stuck for the last three months. I have been going up and down about 5 pounds, I just got more discouraged, quit trying, not working out, going crazy. Ever since Halloween at least. It was a slow downhill ride, and I didn't notice what I was doing 'til I was at the bottom. I guess because I hadn't really gained, just not lost... of course that was the first month.
I have been trying to get back at it, and I will use today as an example, but today wasn't the first time. I got up and had a good morning and was considering a workout when my son laid down. But, we had to go to the store for milk. I was out of 2% and he only has half a gallon, so it was a must. Before we went, I had this great day of food planned out and I was going to be under without exercise or my late snack, so perfect right.....
What do I do at the store? Decide we need snack food, then come home... and eat it all, all of it. Why? I just did it. I wasn't depressed, tired, or even bored. It was just like a sudden craving that I had no control over. And no, I didn't get a little pint of ice cream or something, I got 2 boxes of cakes!
I need to change something in my mentality, but I just don't know where to start. How to make myself get up and do what I know I really want to. How to choose a workout over laundry or dishes. How to stick with all the dang schedules I keep writing up and giving up the first time I miss my 'appointments'. Half the time I eat over calories, it would have been fine if I had worked out. Then I wouldn't have felt guilty and hate myself and move onto overeating crap food.
I know I CAN do this, I had almost 4 months before I really started slipping. How do ya'll get going again and not fall down the rabbit whole when you slip up?

Replies

• wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    "A wise man falls seven times, but rises up eight."
    I had just gotten to my healthy weight when baby Samuel came about. And here I am starting all over. I am so glad he's here and he's healthy and that's what I have to focus on, but it's time to lose this extra weight. No excuses. No going to the grocery store and buying stuff that no one in this house should be eating...and certainly not eating it all myself. I think we all go through this. We have to work on our inner dialogue. Telling yourself the truth is a great tool. One I am to heavy, and not healthy. Two I have to model the right behavior for these children. Three, I will be so proud of myself once I arrive where I want to be. It will be worth it. So...rise up again. Dust yourself off and keep on pushing forward.:flowerforyou:
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It really is a total mindset, isn't it? I notice that after three months of relativie success I too am starting to become lax. We really need to get our heads back in the game. Part of it is to make ourselves a priority again. To say it is ok to take care of our own needs before others. For me this requires a one on one conversation with myself. Kind of weird, I know. But the thing is, I know exactly what it is I need to do. We sometime lose perspective on just how much control we really do have over the choices in our lives. We start to fall in a pattern and just follow it. It's time to re-examine our 'habits'. Time to prioritze around our own needs too, and take back the control we need to be successful.
  • shaunarlr83
    shaunarlr83 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Try setting a restart day thats like a week away or maybe even next Monday. Let yourself be wild and free with no restraints until that day, eat what you want, do what you want, and don't worry about logging for this week (it may depress you),but keep it in your mind that Sunday (or whichever day you choose) is the end of it. You will wake up the next day mentally prepared and have a new boost in your system I bet. This summer I started MFP and did pretty okay I wasn't real strict but I seen it working I was slowly and gradually losing but about July we moved and I didn't have access to internet or a cook stove for awhile, we started eating out every single day, Sonic and McDonalds everyday for a month is not good at all, I became lazy and tired, I slept all day everyday, all I could think about was taking a nap. Doing yard work or housework killed me, but once I hit that point where I knew I had to change,I kept trying to jump into it, I would do good for a day or two then fall right back into eating and sleeping. Finally in November I decided I was done, BUT I said I was waiting until the end of the year and was going to start 2011 fresh, be committed and do it right this time. I was mentally prepared and so far it hasn't been a struggle at all. I know I am only 12 days into this but I feel great, I took photos, measured, weighed, believed, and proceeded. I am going strong and even if I don't lose much fast I feel so alive again, eating foods I never thought I would try, staying awake during the days, and looking forward to warm weather so I can get outside again!!!! This may not work for others but it has certainly worked for me. Good Luck!
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    Thank you ladies for all the great ideas!
    I can't bring myself to wait for a new start date, cause like, I'm already started... or I should be... I did let my day count restart here on MFP though, cause it felt like a lie lol. Sleeping is a big deal, cause I I am lucky if I get 6 hours a night... even if I'm being healthy I feel like I need a nap during the day. I just have the face the fact that most days I don't have the time. I mean... why do I have time to nap but not workout?? That ain't gonna work anymore. I like the idea of measuring and photos to help me restart. I will do that this morning!
    Yesterday was a good eating day for me, though I didnt get my workout in. I worked out a new schedule starting today. Exercise will be an evening activity, at least for now, cause my whole day is filled with kiddos. I just gotta stick with it. I told my husband, so hopefully he will help me get my butt up just when I have time to relax.
    Tomorrow is grocery shopping. I have been good about buying healthy foods for myself... so, the thoughts are there. However, I had been betting sucked into the mentality that my daughter just has to have sweet cakes after school or whatever. Of course, half the time they don't make it a day... Pop-tarts may be the only sweets they get now, cause I can buy them in flavors I don't like. lol that is just the saddest thing I can think of right now... what if their favorite is my favorite? Do they just go without forever? Have to keep reminding myself that they don't need to eat like that either.
    Again, thanks for helping me think all this through. I still feel a little jumbled, but my determination is back and that is excellent~