A decent gummy vitamin?

Options
Veil5577
Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
This may be a bit of a long post but to avoid massive arguments I need to explain, because anyone looking at my food diary will probably think I'm deliberately starving myself when I am not.

I am on a SEVERE budget and this makes buying food tricky, especially with my temptation to binge. The foods I have been eating lately are foods I like, but not enough to binge eat them. If I used the same amount of money to buy Stouffer's meals I'd eat a weeks' worth of them in two days. I don't have time to cook, except for the Crock Pot, and I've had trouble with binging there too.

Trouble is, I'm not eating enough and I know this. I get hungry during the day at work even after having my granola bars, but being broke helps me not to go downstairs to Subway and binge on a meatball sandwich. And after I finish up at the second job and get home around 10:30 at night (I work two jobs from 9 AM to 10:30 PM) I'm usually not very hungry and can only manage to eat a little.

I'm worried about the lack of vitamins. I have already noticed my hair shedding and since it's already thinner than a grasshopper I can't afford to lose any more. The scenario above IS working, I am losing weight. I take a children's gummy vite every day, because I can't swallow pills due to scar tissue buildup in my esophagus (don't ask). I don't think this vitamin is enough. I was considering prenatal vitamins in gummy form but it's not safe to take them if you aren't pregnant and the chances of me getting pregnant are about as good as my cat learning algebra.

Anyone know of a good multivitamin in gummy form that provides all of the essentials? Any input appreciated!

Replies

• Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Because of your budget, I would maybe go to a dollar store and pick up some multivitamins there. May not be the best, but super cheap.

Best of luck to you!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    They make gummy vitamins for adults- Vitacrave I think is the one I have at home. I don't think there are ANY gummy vitamins that have iron in them, and I do know for a fact that when I was a teenager and trying to be a "vegetarian" (I did not know what I was doing!) I got quite ill and my hair started falling out and got very thin. My dr said I was pretty severly anemic and he recommended a dosage of an iron supplement in addition to a non-iron multi-vitamin... Do NOT take iron supplements w/o a doctor's supervision- you can overdose.

Do you have access to a clinic or doctor who can do simple blood work for vitamin levels? YOu could be low on iron, protein, B vitamins, vitamin D, etc especially if you are not eating a balanced diet while dieting and/or do to finances. Good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    There are no complete gummy vitamins that I am aware of, because many of the vitamins and minerals taste nasty and can't be covered up well in gummy form.

There are chewables that are complete. Yes, they're chalky and get stuck in your molars, etc, but they might work for you.

There are also complete liquid supplements that you ought to be able to swallow. I'd probably pick this over the chewable if it were me.

ETA: None of the gummies already listed are complete. Very few minerals, and there are missing vitamins as well.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    The liquid supplement sounds like a good option. I'll look for those. Thanks!