Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred

Replies

• Just started day one of the shred......omg! she is scary..lol but it she helped keep me going...dont stop dont stop....i wanted to stop so bad....but she said not to..lol im exhausted...
  • Trae3
    Trae3 Posts: 59 Member
    I purchased the DVD a while back...it definitely was a great source of exercise but sure was tough the first few days! After reading this thread I think I might start up again!
  • does anyone lnow how i should add this to myfitnesspal? how many calories burned inhave no idea
  • Annie12082
    Annie12082 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone! How do we add the 30ds to our exercise tab? I've searched everything I could think of for this but can't find it at all. Thanks!
  • Found another post somewhere on here that suggested logging it as circuit training. That's what I'm doing.
  • skinnylicius
    skinnylicius Posts: 5 Member
    It's hard to say how many calories it burns because it varies depending on your weight. If you do a google search for "calories burned in 30 day shred" or something similar, you'll get lots of different answers.

I weigh 200 lbs, and log it as 200 cals burned.
  • Hello everyone!
    I've just started 30d shred yesterday. I felt totally dead afterwards, but today it is even worse. I am almost not able to walk, my legs just refuse, same with getting up or going down on legs. I dunno, should I take a day break or would it be better to just force myself to do as much as I can today?
  • ditzie2009
    ditzie2009 Posts: 20 Member
    I loved the 30 day shred and like lots of you found it fit around the family (read kids!)

I'm going to do it again soon but first will try the 6 week 6 pack - have done 1 session and ached so much I couldn't roll over in bed the following night lol!!!
  • lol I know I have to do that too
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    It all depends on your fitness level however, I am pretty fit and I am still pushing on Level 1 at present only my second day. I find the warm up is not sufficient to start jumping in the initial stages and am afraid it will cause an injury, so will do a warm up before I start the dvd as I have tenonitis and my feet start aching once I have done the jumps and start moving into the skipping section. I am enjoying it though.
    The warm up is definitely lacking. I do a good 10 minutes of warm up before starting the workout...and an extra 5-10 minutes of cool down/stretching afterwards.
  • DianaGabriela2013
    DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
    I am also a mom of two! I love the convenience. It killed me at first but always loved how i felt afterward and after completeing it I went back for round two. Now I incorporate Ripped in 30, to make it a little more challenging.
    I did 5 days a week. So 2 weeks at level 1. Two Weeks at lever 2, and so on. So it took me 6 weeks.
    I use 5 lb weights, that killed me at first but now I think they are perfect.
    Good Luck! I love it, Lost 10 pounds, but I also changed my diet to mostly healtheir eating. So I am sure it was the combo of diet and exercise.
    Ohhh, and at first I thought i could do it with the kids in the room, they are only 2 and 3 so not a good idea. Now i do it when i put them to bed, (its only 27 min including cool down) or In the mornings i just get up 30 mins earlier. : )
  • Lucas_Chanelle
    Lucas_Chanelle Posts: 4 Member
    Theres 3 levels to it and each level gets harder (ive heard that level 2 is the hardest) you stay on each level for 10 days then move on to the next. Jillian says to do it 2 days 30ds 1 day cardio 2 days 30ds 1 day cardio and rest day...but a lot of people just do it straight. I recommend stretching your legs out more then she does in the video my thighs are just now starting to not hurt. i couldnt sit for 2 days lol...i have a 9 month old and a 5 years old and this dvd is perfect for when they're taking there nap. sometimes i get a burst of energy and ill do it twice a day./..again after bedtime. If you buy this dvd 2-3 pound weights would be more then enough. i have 5 pound weights and it makes it really hard my arms burn so bad...but this is a really great workout!!

hope this helps..:smile:

Thank you! I've been looking for the answer on how often this should be done and couldn't find it anywhere! I just finished day 1 level 1 and I am WEAK in the arms and legs. Feels so good! And I go to the gym daily and have been for 3+ months and no workouts I do make me feel quite the same as this! AND I'm there for a good 1-1.5 hours whereas this is 25 minutes and you're done! Can't wait to start seeing more results!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Does anyone else have trouble with the side lunges? I use five pound weights, so maybe the load is too heavy?
  • cinderoosky
    cinderoosky Posts: 7 Member
    I just started this last night because I didn't want to go to the gym but I wanted some sort of work out......

HOLY COW.

I'm in pretty decent shape... I play softball 2x a week, hit the gym at least once but this was way different.

I have the 5 pound weights and realized that my arms are way sore from the level one stuff.

I feel good today though and I may not have as much soreness in my legs because of the fact that I had an intense day on Weds but it was worth it.

I'm going to pilates tomorrow morning and doing level 2. I'll let ya know how it goes!
  • Does anyone else have trouble with the side lunges? I use five pound weights, so maybe the load is too heavy?
    I do lol.
    I use 5 lbs weights as well, however, I think I am just uncoordinated?
    No matter how I try, I just don't get them right.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Probably works better than the 15 day shred but not as good as the 90 day shred. The lifetime shred is the best program I think.
  • samanthaxb
    samanthaxb Posts: 54 Member
    Also, after the first day or two on each level I would mute the DVD and play my own music. Jillian gets really annoying!

Good luck!

Totally agree with this, I should try muting her! :D
  • Hi everyone,
    I am new to this so mind if I ask a lot of questions. I am going to start my 30 day shred with Jillian Michaels. But i do have a question regarding the weight lose. Do any of you change your eating habits while on the 30ds ? If so can you give me some ideas, I am having such a hard time getting use to the fact that Im at my heaviest and its making me depressed. Did anyone feel this way? HELP
  • IoveIy
    IoveIy Posts: 27 Member
    I've done it before and I saw huge changes in my body, but only because I had a good diet too. Without a reasonable caloric deficit, you won't notice any results.

The best advice I can give you for the DVD in particular is to not be ashamed of doing the modified version of the exercises because they are hard at first. I used 3 lb. dumbbells initially, but then upgraded to 5 lb. dumbbells after I didn't feel challenged with the lighter dumbbells.

You might not notice a difference on the scale, but you'll definitely lose inches which is what really matters. :) Scales are the enemy, IMO. lol

It's hard at first, but just push through it! Your body will adapt. :)
  • IoveIy
    IoveIy Posts: 27 Member
    Hi everyone,
    I am new to this so mind if I ask a lot of questions. I am going to start my 30 day shred with Jillian Michaels. But i do have a question regarding the weight lose. Do any of you change your eating habits while on the 30ds ? If so can you give me some ideas, I am having such a hard time getting use to the fact that Im at my heaviest and its making me depressed. Did anyone feel this way? HELP

You have to change your eating habits if you want to see results. Don't get yourself down though. I used to be depressed about being overweight during my childhood, but the only way I made that change was to start eating healthy and creating a decent calorie deficit to lose fat.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ This calculator will tell you your TDEE (the amount of calories to maintain your weight at your activity level). Every 3500 calories you lose, every 1 lb. of fat you lose. You'll lose a lot more in water weight though. If you're not sure how this works, here's an example:

My TDEE is 1533 and I net 1200 calories a day creating a deficit of 333 calories a day or 2331 calories a week for a total fat loss of .6 lbs. Mine is so slow because I only have 6 lbs. to lose. Even if you feel that your fat loss rate is still slow, don't worry. You'll lose a lot more in water weight.

Just stay strict by following MFP guidelines and you can do it! It will be worth it!!!