Might be a stupid question, buuut...

Options
What time do you start counting your calories for the day? Like it's 2:30 am on Thursday...if I were to eat a snack (I'm always up late), would you track it as Wed. or Thurs.? I know I should prob not even eat a snack this late, but I was just wondering what everyone else does in that rare situation. I think I've always thought of it as still being the same day until I go to sleep.

Replies

• neonshock
    neonshock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I often encounter this as I work a nightshift and go out clubbing alot.

Every day at midnight is a new day for me in terms of MFP.
  • debjunti
    debjunti Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I work night shift so I have this problem all the time. What I do is count it on the day before because I haven't gone to sleep and ended my day yet! My day starts when I get up and ends when I go to bed no matter what the calander says or the clock on the wall, hope this helps......good luck!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I'm the same as debjunti. I'm often awake at odd hours so I don't consider it a new day unless I've slept.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter in the slightest where you put it. It's the average over time that matters. Your body doesn't magically reset at exactly midnight in your time zone....try averaging your calories over the course of a week and just make sure that the average is at or slightly below your goal.:happy:
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I work an odd schedule as a 911 dispatcher, I rotate schedules every three months, and on my days off I go back to a normal sleeping schedule on my days off. Because things are so hectic for me I figure the best way to stay consistent with my calories is to start at midnight, and end at midnight. I find this is the best way.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I enter all food and exercise that I did while awake during the same stretch of time on the same day. I can be confusing sometimes if you think too much about it, but just DON'T. :flowerforyou: I always count meals on the same day whether I am up past midnight or not...and I always am since I work third shift.
  • floridabootcamp
    Options
    Hello!

Your day starts when you wake up and ends when you go to sleep. This starts all over the next day. Eating late won't hurt as long as your are staying within your caloric goal and you are foods are of good quality.

Enjoy!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Pssst!! You can always change your time zone on MFP. I have adopted my guys schedule of day starting at noon and going until 3am. I live on the east coast, so I changed my time zone to Pacific time which is a difference of -3 hours. Problem solved. Everything I eat from when I get up to when I go to bed gets logged on the same date as far as MFP is concerned.