Low Carb to Kick Start Anyone?

Options

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    is anyone following a low-carb plan to kick start their weight loss?

How would low-carb "kick start" weight loss?

Let me re-phrase.... low-carb plan to start my weight loss....

As much as I love this way of eating, it's not a temporary "kick start" program. You have to stick with it long-term. So unless you plan to keep your carbs low and your fat high and your protein moderate long-term, any weight you lose will not stay off.
  • LittleMissSmiley75
    Options
    Low carb diets can be an excellent to have speedy results but for your weight loss to be sustainable you still need to make changes in your lifestyle. It is not realistic to think you can live on a low carb diet long term. In the end you need to find balance. Calories in and calories out. If you are looking for quick results low carb diets can work. I have been on them before. Once I gained everything back. This time it was just a kick starter for quick results. While I was loosing I started jogging 3 seconds every half mile until I worked up to a 5k every morning. Then I started distance running and worked up to half marathons. It took some time but 330-130. In the end I still needed to make lifestyle, exercise and dietary changes I could live with.I have keep my weight off for 9 years. I did have loose track and gain back 70 lbs when I had two kids but when I started living my healthy lifestyle again the weight came right off.

Thanks Tutumom41. I've literally cut out the refined sugar and the rubbish carbs - i love fruit and veg. Before my accident i was running 10k 3 times a week as well as doing weights and high intensity - things just went a bit wonky last year! I've been feeling so rotten because of the rubbish i was eating and i have to say, cutting down on the wheat and the refined carbs i have stopped getting such bad headaches - just made me feel better and more positive. That then has had a knock on effect and i've been exercising again so positivity all round!
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    It is not realistic to think you can live on a low carb diet long term.

How is it not realistic? I plan to do that. I might up my carbs a little bit once in maintenance, but I honestly do not plan to go back to the way I was eating pre-keto. There are plenty of people who continue to eat this way for the rest of their lives.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice guys.

I've been binging on so much refined sugar and rubbish carbs that i'm going down the route of cutting out white bread and pasta etc. and trying to eat good healthy carbs.

At the end of the day it's move more, eat less :smile:

Yes, this is the way to get control of your bingeing, cut all refined sugar carbs out and eat protein, vegi, and fat. It is important to eat the fat. Drink lots of water to flush your metabolic pathway.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options

How is it not realistic? I plan to do that. I might up my carbs a little bit once in maintenance, but I honestly do not plan to go back to the way I was eating pre-keto. There are plenty of people who continue to eat this way for the rest of their lives.

Agree with you that it's perfectly safe and effective to control carbs. Eliminating processed carbs IS HEALTHY!
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Agree with you that it's perfectly safe and effective to control carbs. Eliminating processed carbs IS HEALTHY!

nothing wrong with processed carbs
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    unless your doing low carb for reasons other than weight loss, its unnecessary. low carb just helps you shed water weight, which comes back on as soon as you start eating carbs again.

if your doing it to control cravings though (most people are more prone to binge on carbs) then thats another matter, but a low carb diet vs a high carb diet will be just as effective at the same calorie intake in terms of fat loss

Yes, the first 5-10 lbs you lose is water weight. However, I'm pretty sure I didn't have 20 lbs of water in my body that I lost after switching from high carb and low fat to low carb and high fat.
    im not saying that you wont lose fat low carb, just that its caused by the calorie deficit not the lack of carbs. some people find it easier and some find it harder to go low carb, personal preference really
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hi

I used to be a runner but had an accident and have gained weight wallowing in my own misery :blushing: Have a way to go to shed the pounds and have started low carb with a view to increasing gradually... i am a total carb fiend... just call me bread... or pasta... or rice.....

Unless you are going to make switch to Low carb long term, it's not the diet to do as a short term fix.

If you are only look at short term then just stick to the standard calorie restricted diet (it works great for loads of people on MFP).

Log your food and eat in a deficit. For short term weight loss there's nothing better or easier.

Good luck
  • KetoToThin
    KetoToThin Posts: 185
    Options
    Why yes, yes I am. Shall I tell you all about it?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

My life without (a lot of) corn tortillas wouldn't be worth living. I wouldn't have room for any other carbs and probably not enough tortillas. That's pretty idiosyncratic, though.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Nothing right with them either though. Unlike protein and fat, dietary carbs are not essential.

I do think they are optimal and should be included in all healthy diets.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

My life without (a lot of) corn tortillas wouldn't be worth living. I wouldn't have room for any other carbs and probably not enough tortillas. That's pretty idiosyncratic, though.

You can have low carb versions of things like that. I found flax seed flat bread at my local Pathmark. They can be pricy though. It's probably cheaper in the long-run to make your own tortillas/flatbread/etc.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

You can have low carb versions of things like that. I found flax seed flat bread at my local Pathmark. They can be pricy though. It's probably cheaper in the long-run to make your own tortillas/flatbread/etc.
    I've cooked a lot of things successfully in my life. Corn tortillas aren't one of them. I've resigned myself to buying them from my favorite restaurant, though my waiter can hook me up with enough for a few days at a time. A warm, moist corn tortilla with some really hot salsa is better than se... well, it's better than a lot of things. Like I said, though, I get that that's my issue and that a lot of people can do low carb successfully over the long haul.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

How would low-carb "kick start" weight loss?

Let me re-phrase.... low-carb plan to start my weight loss....

Oh. Naw. Just eat less.
  • LotusAsh
    Options
    Why yes, yes I am. Shall I tell you all about it?

for the love of god, please don't
  • LotusAsh
    Options

Nothing right with them either though. Unlike protein and fat, dietary carbs are not essential.

I do think they are optimal and should be included in all healthy diets.

what isn't right with them?
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'll agree that it's not a plan to kick start weight loss. It's a long term solution.

As far as gaining weight back, yes, you will gain back the few lbs of water weight you lost in the beginning if you go back to eating a lot of carbs. But I guarantee the 30+ lbs I've lost are not going to come swarming back on the minute I eat a bowl of pasta.

As far as sustainable- that depends on the person. I'm closing in on a year of watching my carbs. I target 50g a day but often get around 100. It's easy for me to eat this way and it's something I can do for years to come.

Side effects that people complain about- headaches, constipation- all of those are easily addressed. You might get headaches the 1st week or so as your body adjusts. There are ways to mitigate that- extra sodium is the main one.. Constipation- doesn't happen if you eat enough veggies/fiber. Like any other eating plan, it requires some planning, but once you get in the groove, it's not hard.

Again- not a quick fix.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I follow a long term low carb lifestyle, I lost 15 inches of waist in last 6 months, lost 57% of BF from where I started. But short term diets are not good, because you go back to old habits the weight will come back. Give it a try and see if it works for you and if it works stick to it.
  • uchube
    uchube Posts: 44
    Options
    i used to be very slim, a lean PCOSer with regular periods thanks to metformin. I binged on dried fruits while studying over winter, gaining 10lbs over 4months, and lost my period for those 4months. also developed wicked cystic acne.

i kickstarted my weight loss plan with keto more for the benefits of fixing the damage id done to my endocrine system, within 2 weeks of dropping carbs from 150g+ to <50g i had a period. and i had NO more cravings, fog brain, or dizziness. When I'm ready to maintain, I think I could now do so by staying under 50g with ease, maybe 70g on very active days or celebrations.

I recommend it.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I did for this particular journey. Lost the first 40 or so lbs that way. I enjoy eating low carb, have a long history with it, and it was a great way to kickstart this go round for me. If it wasn't for my enjoyment of sweets I could low carb easily for my entire life. It's a great way of eating for me.

I IF now and don't watch carbs but am ever grateful low carbing.