strength training same day as cardio?

Options
Is it detrimental/negative/not a good idea to do some strength training on a day i've done C25K?

I feel like i want to exercise some more, but not at the expense of doing harm either physically, or mental burnout kind of thing...

also, i splurged on lunch and have about 300 cals left for dinner (not gonna happen!), i could just eat over and call it a bad day, but i'd rather earn some points back by exercising so to speak...

:-/

thanks!

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Not at all, though I would lift first then run.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it. Most folks who do strength training in general would want to lift BEFORE they do their cardio just because they would have more energy to put into their lifting. Personally I don't look at cardio as "exercise" per se because the human body was pretty much designed to be in motion so it's the sitting down doing nothing that is, in my opinion, bad for us.

I personally would not go for a five mile run and then work my lower body but I would have no qualms about heavy lifting anything and then doing whatever cardio I could manage.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I always warm up with a bit of cardio or do a full cardio workout before strength training.
  • deviant_illusion
    deviant_illusion Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started C25K 3 weeks ago and just finished week 5 day 3 last night. I weight train 3 days a week with a trainer in the mornings and run on those same days in the afternoons when my wife can join me at the gym. So far the only thing I have noticed is I tend to eat less in the afternoons on the days I run.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Opinions are like .........well lets just say everyone has one and it's their own and you may or may not agree with it.

Personally, I have nothing against it and do it myself. But as stated, I do my cardio ABSOLUTELY last. I'm too afraid of doing cardio, wearing myself down and then getting hurt from bad form or something while doing strength training.

In the end it is your choice.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it at all, I'd suggest running after heavy lifting.

I recommend doing dead lift and squat and these exercises will work you good, you wanna be at your best before doing them. I usually try to do at least 30 minutes of cardio after a heavy lifting workout, then on in-between days if I feel like it I'll do an all cardio workout.

Hurt my elbow being a dummy while arm wrestling so I'm only working lower body and doing cardio this week myself :(
  • sqezme
    sqezme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually train before I do cardio. If I do cardio first, I would be too exhausted to lift especially to failure.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I always do them on the same day.

5-10 minute warmup cardio, lift, and then some steady state cardio.

If I'm doing something like HIIT, it typically gets it's own day or I'm too tired to lift.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    wow, thanks everyone!!

i already did my C25K this morning, so my strength training would be this evening when i get home from work. seems it's about preference so i guess that's a go!

:-)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I do some cardio every day, even the days I do strength training. My trainer said to do cardio first to "warm up" the muscles, and the strength training classes I do usually have a 10-minute cardio warm-up. If I have a heavy cardio day that's really working lower legs, like kick-boxing or zumba, I don't train legs, though, just upper body.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of cardio followed by strength training.