Why Protein

Options
Sorry***Whey Protein

I have been using finess pal for 4 months now and I have lost 36.8lbs!!! of course the credit is not all for the app it help me a lot in conjunction with my routine cardio and strenght excercises. I have another 10 pounds to go. Now, am thinking to add whey protein to my healthy lifestyle but am afraid I will gain some weight by drinking whey protein, should I wait until I hit my goal to start with the protein or should I just start now????

Replies

• maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Start now. Whey protein will not make you gain weight unless it is causing you to go over your calorie limit for the day. If you're still in a caloric deficit while drinking it, then you will still lose weight. It's all about calories in vs calories out, not necessarily where the calories came from. If you drink milk then you are getting whey protein already because that's where whey comes from, from milk. So go ahead and add it to your diet and don't be afraid of it, as long as you're still below your calorie limit for the day then you will not gain weight.

P.S. Congrats on your loss so far!!
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Calories in calories out. Whey protein is simply a protein-dense easily transported powder. Just because you have 10 lbs to lose doesn't mean you're not eating chicken, or fish, or steak, or whatever. You'll be fine if it fits in your goals, macros, and calorie count.
  • lyndseyb1988
    Options
    I use maximuscle pro lean. its for muscle definition on a calorie restricted diet. its got less carbs that other types of whey protein. I use after gym and helps recovery so I can work harder at the gym the next day. I also use as a meal replacement at breakfast. I like it because it contains grean tea and helps keep hunger at bay so I don't snack mid mornings anymore. you can get it on amazon cheaper than off maxi muscle directly hope that helps.
  • 2_FitNFab
    2_FitNFab Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    ^^Agrees. I make it fit with the calories allotted. Seems I have more energy when I have my daily shake. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Whey protein shakes are just liquid food with a good protein profile.

Would suggest first setting sensible calorie and macro goals and then seeing if you are meeting them with your normal food. If you aren't hitting your protein goal then that's the time to supplement.

This is worth a read.....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • presi777
    presi777 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    Ive been taking whey protein for 3 months now and im down 65 pounds in total, likes others said, its all about calories in and out, but i love the stuff
  • Bustergirl14
    Bustergirl14 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My husband calls it "Whee Powder" because the first time I added to the smoothies I was making I used too much and we both felt like we had OD'd on caffiene. I'm carb counting and I'm a power lifter so Whey is an excellent way for me to add extra protien to my eating plan. Just go easy on it and don't over do.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Any supplement is not good for health, only high quality supplement is good for health, there are many supplement available but use only reputed and quality supplement, whey protein is a good supplement first you can try it few months and if it suits to your health then only use it.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    In what world would whey powder cause you to gain weight?
    Where do people come up with this stuff
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    They are a good supplement and I use them on and off for the last 3 years :) As everyone else said as long as your below your calories you will still lose :) I used to use them a lot but really I enjoy actually eating food more than drinking it haha :) I do have a protein shake for breakfast on days I have crossfit as I need protein before I start and I hate having food on my stomach when I am hardcore working out :)
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    definitely add it now! it's helped me reach my daily protein goals, and keep the muscle I have. *flexes* ;)
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    In what world would whey powder cause you to gain weight?
    Where do people come up with this stuff

Most people just don't understand and if they don't ask they do not know :) When i first heard of protein shakes I remembered people at the gym who were lifting at the gym talk about drinking them. These guys were built and had big muscles so I assumed in my head they drank them to gain weight so they could turn fat into more muscle. SO being someone at the time who was not weightlifting I assumed if i drank them as a "non lifter" they would cause me to gain weight. I never understood what it was until I did more research :)