too many cals left!

Options
I seem to have cals left every day (day4) but with all the fruit and veg and water I'm not hungry will it matter in the long run?

Replies

• Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    It depends. What is your calorie goal, how many are you actually eating?
  • IoveIy
    IoveIy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It will matter if you eat less than 1200 calories a day because your metabolism will slow down too much and your body will not be getting essential nutrients. As long as you can sustain eating 1200 calories or more though, you're fine. :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Your food log is private so I can only answer with 'it depends'.

If you have a reasonable goal deficit based on your situation, and you're eating under to 50-100 per day, it probably won't matter. But if you're trying to eat 1200 calories (or less) a day and working out intensively its likely a matter of time before you have energy issues. Listen to your body, and make sure you get enough nutrition.
  • nanatig
    nanatig Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying, I have 1200 daily cals, but I have between 50-200 left daily
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will matter in the long run. Eat some peanut butter or something before bed.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, it matters, especially with a calorie goal that low.

Eat more caloric dense foods and plan better. If it helps, prelog your meals and snacks.
  • IoveIy
    IoveIy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying, I have 1200 daily cals, but I have between 50-200 left daily

I would def eat or drink those extra calories. Also, if you chew gum, the average piece of gum is at least 4 calories. I chew 81 calories worth of gum a day. lol
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

It still depends.........

1200 is MFPs lowest minimum default. It could be a good number for you....or it may not be. Try looking up your BMR & TDEE. You need at least your BMR (unless very overweight... then you can get by with less)....and less than TDEE (maintenance).

http://iifym.com/
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but you didn't get fat in the first place by not eating enough. Bravo on eating more fruits and veggies that's awesome and really really good for you. It's time to squeeze in a snickers or some ice cream now, there's always room for Ice Cream.

If I were you, consider following MACRO nutrients in addition to calories. MACROs are simply making sure you are hitting your minimum fat and protein amounts for the day (both are vital) and filling in the rest of your calories with carbs (for energy).

I hope that helps.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Need to see your food diary.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Ice cream or cheese, just saying :smile:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I seem to have cals left every day (day4) but with all the fruit and veg and water I'm not hungry will it matter in the long run?

The 1200 calories minimum is about making sure you have enough calories to get all of the protein, fat, fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc. that your body needs.

Fruits and veggies are great but are you getting enough fat and protein (you should be in the red on both every day if you're using MFP's default numbers). Are you hitting 100% of things like calcium, iron, vitamin A, vitamin C, etc? If not, that's a good place to start adjusting your intake.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Not if you have eaten plenty of protein, vegi and fat for the day. Eliminate junk carbs!

There are 3 macronutrients

protein- chicken, beef, fish etc etc........
    Carbs- vegetables, fruit, junk food, grains, sugar, flour
    Fats-butter, oils
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Not if you have eaten plenty of protein, vegi and fat for the day. Eliminate junk carbs!

There are 3 macronutrients

protein- chicken, beef, fish etc etc........
    Carbs- vegetables, fruit, junk food, grains, sugar, flour
    Fats-butter, oils

You don't think that there's a risk of muscle loss, fatigue, hair loss, etc. if a person is running too large of a deficit?