VIRGIN DIET by JJ Virgin

I am just about to start my 1st time of the Virgin Diet program, but I need to cut 4 days off the program (for a long story). I'm sure several of you will say that is not okay, but it's either cutting out 4 days or NOT doing it, so I'd like your advice. Would I be better off to cut out 4 days of Cycle 1 (meaning it is 17 days instead of 21)? Or would I better off to cut out the post-test days from each of the test food during Cycle 2? Or something else? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    In. Why not just eat at a deficit?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

^This.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

^This.

+2
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    So... do you have to be a virgin, or are you fed by virgins?

I'm in regardless.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member

Because virgins make everything better
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Why not just do it the old fashion way......eating a reasonable deficit and exercise!! :noway:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

tumblr_inline_ml7ud7K2ED1qz4rgp.gif
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Does this diet involve eating Virgins?
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    :huh:
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    I am just about to start my 1st time of the Virgin Diet program, but I need to cut 4 days off the program (for a long story). I'm sure several of you will say that is not okay, but it's either cutting out 4 days or NOT doing it, so I'd like your advice. Would I be better off to cut out 4 days of Cycle 1 (meaning it is 17 days instead of 21)? Or would I better off to cut out the post-test days from each of the test food during Cycle 2? Or something else? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

not.jpg
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    So, you are doing this thing for the first time... But already need to stop for 4 days. That sounds like a sustainable way to lose weight.

Good luck with that.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Unless you have an underlying medical condition, removing specific foods from your diet is unnecessary. Eating at a calorie deficit is all you need to focus on to lose weight.

IMO, demonizing certain things like this doesn't help solidify a healthy relationship with food, at all.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member

That's what I thought. In for virgins, either the eating of, or the feeding of.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    IXUO5zJ.gif
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member

grr..you suck dude..in..but I am not happy about it .
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    I always look up these diets to see what they are before commenting. This one is an elimination diet trying to spot food sensitivities with the argument that avoiding foods to which you have a sensitivity is a good idea. Recent research is showing that some folks are better able than others to realize the energy of different foods. In other words, I may actually metabolize more calories out of an apple than you do. The research on this is preliminary and its too soon to draw many conclusions but this has not stopped the diet industry from leaping ahead.

The problem is that like many others, this diet wraps up common food sensitivities with weight loss issues and then starts out with an eating plan that does lead to a temporary weight loss because it ends up being low calorie. You figure, "Gee, I lost weight. Therefore his theories must be right." Wrong. Correlation is not causality.

There is nothing magic about 17 or 21 days or the Virgin diet's "cycles" that cause you to lose weight. So in answer to your question? There is no answer. Do what works best for you.

Now, I'm the last one in the world to pooh-pooh food sensitivities. Removing such foods from my diet, which were identified via tine tests by a physician who was both an ENT and an allergist, resulted in curing my chronic sinus infections. Did I lose weight by eliminating tomatoes, onions, garlic, canteloupe, walnuts, etc. from my diet? Nah. The only way I lose weight is through taking in fewer calories than I expend.

So, have fun with the book and the program but don't expect it to solve any weight issues long term,
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Advice
    > count calories and stick to a deficit
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member

I was wondering the same thing.

Rigger
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member

The virgin diet is an elimination diet (with her super *special* protein powder on top)

So no.

You can't cut off days and actually get the benefit of the elimination diet (which is to test for food sensitivities)

I assume you are just planning to do this diet as a weight loss thing and you have no gastrointestinal issues?

If so ............ Frankly, I'd pick a different diet. I mean you WILL lose weight on the virgin diet I suppose, sinceI imagine she has you subbing in protein powder for a lot of foods, but you could also get good results by not doing the whole elimination thing.

If you DO have GI issues, then you need to do the whole 3 weeks *and* the whole testing phase. If you don't, you won't be able to identify sensitivities.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    From what I've read this sounds more like a simplified protocol for identifying foods to which individuals have a sensitivity. The claims about losing seven pounds in seven days are marketing puffery.

Simply put, when you overeat, your body stores surplus calories as fat. When you undereat, your body burns stored fat for energy.

It's an accepted fact that one pound of fat has approximately 3,500 calories of energy.

In order to lose one pound of fat, you therefore must burn approximately 3,500 calories more than you consume.

Considering average total daily energy expenditure is on the order of 2,000 calories (maybe 1,500, maybe 2,500, but that's a reasonable range), even if you ate nothing all day, you would only have a caloric deficit of 2,000 calories.

What this means is that you couldn't feasibly burn a pound of fat in a day, and by extension, could not burn 7 pounds in a week. You would have to eat nothing at all and exercise vigorously to exhaustion every single day of a week to hope to come anywhere close to that - - and that's just starvation, not weight loss.

The math just doesn't work - seven pounds in seven days is a vile little trick, and so I recommend you take anything else recommended by "Virgin" as highly suspicious.