Need some swimmer friends :)

Options
Just went swimming last night for the first time in months. I really want to get back to going a couple times a week, at least. I used to be a lifeguard so swimming is like...my thing. Love water.

Anyway, I did 8 lengths doing different strokes (backstroke, front crawl, egg beater...only made it halfway across the pool with that one though...pretty sad) and I was out of breath and my whole body felt like rubber. I am soooo out of shape haha.

So, I'll be going Tuesdays and Thursdays... If you want, add me as a friend and we can keep each other pumped for swimming and talk about the advantages of ozone over chlorine :p

Replies

• hunterjumper642
    hunterjumper642 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am a lifeguard and swim instructor. I swim 2500-3000 yards Monday Wednesday and Friday mornings. So, I'm gonna add you :)
  • weather_nerd
    Options
    I'm also a swimmer. Feel free to add :)
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I sent you a request.

I swim at least twice a week.

Training for 2 open water swim races this summer. (2.1 km and 3.1 km)
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifeguard too and try to swim at least a couple of times a week. :) Feel free too add me!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    swimmer and triathlete here.
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I swim & water walk 6 days a week. I'm not a serious swimmer just trying to get some exercise in . Anyone can add me .
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love to swim. I love my USMS swim group, but it takes motivation to get up at 0445 to get there in time. Add me to your list; I need some encouragement. When I do go, I always say "Why don't I do this every day?" because it makes my whole day better.
  • llama_sammich
    llama_sammich Posts: 124
    Options
    Exactly! That's how I usually feel, too, alathIN. Except last time... Actually felt sick when I got in my car. Been out of the water for too long haha. I'm moving back to my hometown at the end of the month though and there's a lake there so should be getting in plenty of swimming and frisbee this summer :)

As soon as it finally melts...silly Canada.
  • waterskh
    waterskh Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Fellow fish here! I swam and played water polo through high school and then just...stopped. I didn't swim beyond splashing around in a lake for 6 years. Mostly because I was ashamed of wearing a swim suit. Dumb, I know. Threeish weeks ago I decided screw that and started swimming again and it has been wonderful! I have taken to it again like a...fish takes to water? First time I jumped in I was super winded after 100 yards. Now I am already at the point where I have gotten my 1000 yards in eighteenish minutes so I am pretty happy with myself. Still a ways to go though!
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming for fitness since December. I've worked my way up to where I can now swim my whole 20-30 minutes front crawl. I'm working on my endurance now...more lengths & shorter breaks to catch my breath.

I'd love more swimmers on my friends list.
  • llama_sammich
    llama_sammich Posts: 124
    Options
    Fellow fish here! I swam and played water polo through high school and then just...stopped. I didn't swim beyond splashing around in a lake for 6 years. Mostly because I was ashamed of wearing a swim suit. Dumb, I know. Threeish weeks ago I decided screw that and started swimming again and it has been wonderful! I have taken to it again like a...fish takes to water? First time I jumped in I was super winded after 100 yards. Now I am already at the point where I have gotten my 1000 yards in eighteenish minutes so I am pretty happy with myself. Still a ways to go though!

That's awesome!! It's surprising how little time it takes ya to get right back into it, eh? And the fat just meeelllllts off. Love it :) Keep it up, chicky!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I love swimming and scuba. Need some motivation to get my butt back in the pool. I just hate having to drive across town to the gym but have fun once I get there.
    I want to lose 50lbs, which is well below any weight that I've seen in about 25 years.
  • hurricanegirl13
    Options
    Former swimmer and water polo player here (hole set!) :) haven't been in a pool for a loooooong time. I miss it! Anyone feel free to add
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I did competitive swimming for 10 years growing up and I'm just now getting back into it!!! (Didn't do any swim training during college, although I did teach swim lessons.) I totally feel you. I was SO out of breath at first but I'm getting back into it surprisingly quickly.

Anyone who sees this should totally add me :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I did competitive swimming for 10 years growing up and I'm just now getting back into it!!! (Didn't do any swim training during college, although I did teach swim lessons.) I totally feel you. I was SO out of breath at first but I'm getting back into it surprisingly quickly.

Anyone who sees this should totally add me :)

i find that i get really easily back into conditioning for swimming, because of my knowledge of how to properly move through the water. 2-3 sessions, and i'm back to knocking out 2500 yard workouts in under an hour
  • hunterjumper642
    hunterjumper642 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am a swim instructor and swim team coach, and I swim 5 times a week (typically). You should add me!
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I swam at FSU from 08-11 when I graduated...just got back in the pool once the whether warmed up to help lose some extra lbs!
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I love my pool <3 I mostly just flap about in the water, and while my pool is relatively small, I can only do a few laps before I'm beat!
  • cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I swim twice a week, 1200 -1800 yards, early mornings, Its a great way to start the day.
    Also participate in some sprint distance triathlons.
  • ProfessorOwl
    ProfessorOwl Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of swimming and compete in USMS meets as well as open water events. If anyone would like to add me, please feel free!