Top tips! Help a new MFPer today!

Options
2»

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Fantastic tips, everyone -- keep 'em coming!

I'll add an MFP Tip: If you need help and ask for it in the forums, come back and answer the questions people ask. It will help to get you more specific advice and save you time so you don't have to try out all of the conflicting ideas that you're going to receive when people don't have all the details.
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    get a scale and weigh your food, this helped me a ton
  • sjmoran
    sjmoran Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
  • KCBrue1
    KCBrue1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mix it up. If you get bored you will stop, even if you are noticing amazing progress. So, try new things and make big changes... Even if it's just the music on your iPod.
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    Non-MFP tip -- Put your exercise gear on the floor where you feet will land on it in the morning. Then put it on and exercise in it.

MFP tip -- Log everything and review your log regularly. If you aren't losing weight, the answer is in there.
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    general advice : buy smaller dinner plates, automatically means smaller portions and the image of a full plate before you eat, makes your brain think "thats a lot of food"

mfp advice: check your entries are correct against any packaged food you are scanning/logging, there are a lot of innacurate entries on mfp.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Buy a heart rate monitor and take your measurements
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    My biggest one is get a good digital scale.
    Get a fitbit and learn to sync with mfp.
    Log every single days...even on days where you eat a lot for a special occasion..the habit is crucial.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    General advice: take pictures and measurements at the start and then periodically. The scale is evil and is NOT the best measure of progress. Also get a HRM with a chest strap to get a more accurate (not 100%-they are all estimates) of your calorie burns during exercise. MFP and the machines in the gym can be greatly inflated.

MFP advice: Utilize the recipe function for food you cook at home and create your own meals in your food diary. Makes logging much easier. Also, get friends who have similar goals, interests, weight to lose, lifestyles, etc. Makes the experience much more pleasant and you will stop annoying your RL family and friends.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    General Advice: When you decide to start making changes, begin with the things you need to ADD to your diet first. You may find that if you focus on drinking more water and adding more fruits and veggies, some of the things you need to eliminate may take care of themselves.

MFP advice: Do not cut yourself any slack when you log. Err on the side of putting yourself down too much.
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    These are all great -- thanks for contributing, everyone!
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    ^^^^
    In my above post, I meant to say, "put DOWN FOR YOURSELF too much food." Not "put YOUSELF down". Haha!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    The best advise is eat less move more. Plain and simple...
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Be honest with yourself! When you don't log accurately just so you meet your calorie goals, you are only cheating yourself. Be accountable!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    A friend on here told me at the beginning of my journey that it is just constant ebb and flow. Every time I have felt like giving up, I remember that and it keeps me going ;)
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Patience is the hardest thing to remember, especially when not naturally a patient person!

A good nights sleep - essential!
  • lessbounce
    lessbounce Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Just three things
    Log everything - even when you go way over. It's only a blip and if you keep logging it means you haven't given up.
    Get some friends on mfp (if you're stuck add me :happy: )
    Try every different type of exercise you have the chance too.
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    These are great! I really appreciate knowing that the first few weeks of exercise can cause weight to rise. I lost five lbs right off the bat and now it's back although I'm eating less, exercising more. Frankly it was discouraging. But knowing that pushing through this can lead to bigger losses is a good thing. I'm nearly 20 days in, but I've only officially lost five lbs. I will see what I can change.