Lazy or Self-Accepting?

Options
Hi all. I'm posting because unbiased feedback would be appreciated. I started losing weight and working out this last January. In the months since then I have lost 25 lbs. I am 5'9" , started at 174 and am at 149 lbs. I am 26. My original goal was 140 (with thoughts of going lower), but as I made my way to 150, truth be told my motivation left me.

I've never been happy with my body, have a long history of disordered eating and BDD. However, I lost this weight, for the first time ever, healthily and intuitively, never counting calories, denying myself, nor being a slave to the scale. I never thought I could do that. I'm proud of myself.

My issue and pondering lies within my lack of motivation to continue to lose. As I'm never happy with my body it is hard to say I necessarily am at this point, nor would be 10 or 15 lbs less. However, I am not unhappy with my body now like I was at my higher weight. Is it possibly a lackadaisical excuse for me to wonder if this disinterest in losing is my own self acceptance? Is it perhaps, that I am content with how I appear and feel? I know these are loaded and kind of confusing questions. Perhaps, to some they may seem obvious, but not to me. How did you know when you were done losing? How do you know when you are happy with your appearance?

I guess I'm just hoping for some accounts of advice, support or relating. I know there's no one definitive answer anyone can provide me. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Your current weight is approx 22 on the BMI, and while the BMI isn't the be all end all of health indicators for the average Joe, or Jo, it isn"t too bad. your current weight is really healthy, perhaps you would be better placed to focus on lean body mass rather than losing weight.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    If you're not going to be happier with yourself if you lose 10 or 15 more, and you're healthy and feel good, why expend the effort to lose more just to hit a magical goal number on the scale? You're not lazy, you're energy efficient.
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you're not going to be happier with yourself if you lose 10 or 15 more, and you're healthy and feel good, why expend the effort to lose more just to hit a magical goal number on the scale? **You're not lazy, you're energy efficient.**

This last sentence = new favorite quote. Thanks for the input! I think, perhaps, a shift in focus might be benefitting, you're right.
  • superdeedooper
    superdeedooper Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like this...
    If you're not going to be happier with yourself if you lose 10 or 15 more, and you're healthy and feel good, why expend the effort to lose more just to hit a magical goal number on the scale? **You're not lazy, you're energy efficient.**

This last sentence = new favorite quote. Thanks for the input! I think, perhaps, a shift in focus might be benefitting, you're right.

Thanks for writing what I've been thinking. I do hope someday really soon to get my motivation back. For now, I will accept me for me and continue to work on eating healthier than what I have been.