Whey Protein Supplements

Options
My daughter purchased a subscription of Muscle & Fitness magazine for my birthday. The first issue arrived, and upon opening it I found a zillion ads for various Whey Protein and other supposed muscle building and growing supplements. I knew this stuff was out there, and I do use a product by Muscle Tech, but I had no idea there were so many brands, all with similar claims.

Do you use a Whey Protein supplement? If so, which one do you use and why did you pick that particular one? Have you used other brands? If so, why did you switch brands?

I'm very curious as to which ones deliver on their claims and which ones are bogus. I've tried reading information on these products and there are so many claims and counter claims it's hard to separate fact from fiction.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey is one of the best known.. and most reliable whey proteins out there. It comes in a variety of flavours, common ones are double rich chocolate and milk chocolate - they taste very similar to nesquik instant shakes.

Generally, cheap whey doesn't mix too well and it will come out with lumps.. but ON mixes very nice and is smooth.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I like Protein Factory Monster V. That being said, 98% of what you will hear in this thread will just be opinions. Any good, quality brand is going to do the trick. The more protein per gram, the better.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Ice Cream because I can make a variety of fruit smoothies with it. But there are definitely a lot of options out there besides plain chocolate or vanilla.
  • mselihar
    mselihar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As others have said ... optimum nutrition. Whey protein is the best for muscle repair - ON Gold Standard is a great choice. The 5g of glutamine and 5g of bcaas (both aid in recovery) are an added benefit. Whey breaks down and activates fast - take within 30 minutes of completing your workout.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. I love the Extreme Milk Chocolate flavor. I blend it in my Nutribullet and it is super smooth and tasty :)