Truth or myth?

Options
There's a lot of conflicting information out there so can you set the record straight on the following 2 things?

1. Fat can become muscle so if you're working out and not losing that could be why - truth or myth?

2. If you cut your calories too low you will enter starvation mode and not lose weight - truth or myth?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    1. No

2. No
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    ^^
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of conflicting information out there so can you set the record straight on the following 2 things?

1. Fat can become muscle so if you're working out and not losing that could be why - truth or myth?

2. If you cut your calories too low you will enter starvation mode and not lose weight - truth or myth?
    Fat into muscle?
    Ha Ha Ha.

No.

2. Staravation mode doesnt really exist like most people think it does. Your metabolic rate will slow way down if you are severly deprived of food for an extended period of time. Not something many people do actually.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    1. No

2. No

+100

Where is it even conflicting on "turning fat into muscle"?
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    1. Fat and Muscle are two different types of tissue. One cannot become the other.

2. Just NO!!!
  • adge1475
    adge1475 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    1. Nope - they're different substances entirely. Fat cannot become muscle.

2. @thavoice has is right. "Starvation mode" isn't like people think it is. It describes a group of symptoms which can include (in some cases) decreased metabolic rate. If a person is actually starving, he or she will lose weight.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Both are false. Your body has both fat and muscle. The two are comprised of different types of cells (adipocytes for fat and myocytes for muscle) one cannot become the other. As you lose fat, the muscle you already have becomes more noticeable.

Eating too little does not prevent you from losing weight. Your metabolism WILL slow down if you aren't eating enough, but not enough to notice and DEFINITELY not enough to stop weight loss altogether. The body runs on fuel (calories) and if you don't get enough, it uses itself as fuel (catabolism) instead. To imply that a person stops losing weight because they aren't eating enough would defy basic physics.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    To imply that a person stops losing weight because they aren't eating enough would defy basic physics.

as would any images from German concentration camps, or you name it refugee camps today
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Both are false. Your body has both fat and muscle. The two are comprised of different types of cells (adipocytes for fat and myocytes for muscle) one cannot become the other. As you lose fat, the muscle you already have becomes more noticeable.

Eating too little does not prevent you from losing weight. Your metabolism WILL slow down if you aren't eating enough, but not enough to notice and DEFINITELY not enough to stop weight loss altogether. The body runs on fuel (calories) and if you don't get enough, it uses itself as fuel (catabolism) instead. To imply that a person stops losing weight because they aren't eating enough would defy basic physics.

This!
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    Gah, I remember being scared to start working out in my 10th grade P.E. class because I had heard that if you start exercising for a while and then stop, your muscle will turn to fat. And no, of course I didn't ask my P.E. teacher if this was true. Because I was 15 and I knew EVERYTHING, duh. :tongue: I passed that class with a D+ because I refused to dress out and opted to chill in the bleachers instead (bless that teacher of mine; really she should have failed me but I was a good kid so I guess she wanted to help me out).