Carrying cals over

Options
vha2
vha2 Posts: 64 Member
Is it OK to carry uneaten calories over to the next day? I did a lot of exercise yesterday and couldn't keep up with food, so have a 300cal surplus from yesterday. Meanwhile I've tracked my food and exercise in advance today and I only have 285cal left for dinner. Can I give myself up to 585cal for dinner given yesterday's results? Or will that push everything out of sync?

Replies

• Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    A lot of people bank their calories and focus instead on a weekly goal. Especially helpful when you have big events that week!
  • melanie3rd
    melanie3rd Posts: 11
    Options
    I like to think if I was 300 under and was having a take away the next day I wouldn't be so strict with what I would eat. If I'm gonna have a Chinese I'm gonna make sure I enjoy it. It is a treat afterall. But I don't save them up for the week. It would balance out tho. :-D
  • alioopwontonsoup
    alioopwontonsoup Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the same thing! It's be nice if there were some kind of credible fitness/diet article talking about this.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I go by weekly.
    For example, I was under 500 calories yesterday, so today is icecream and popcorn day :)
    Ive lost 65lbs so far.
  • KetoToThin
    KetoToThin Posts: 185
    Options
    This actually brings up an interesting question.

How exactly does the body burn the calories, via units of time?

I always thought it odd that we track calories daily, instead of hourly. Our bodies are burning every hour - not just daily.

Therefore, you may have nothing from 9am to 11am, and you will be in a calorie deficit. But then eat a big lunch and be in a surplus.

The thought of calories being able to be rolled over doesnt make sense to me.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I bank/roll over my calories so I can eat 3,000+ additional calories over the weekend, and I've always lost weight from the prior week.

Seems to work fine for me.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I always thought it odd that we track calories daily, instead of hourly. Our bodies are burning every hour - not just daily.

Therefore, you may have nothing from 9am to 11am, and you will be in a calorie deficit. But then eat a big lunch and be in a surplus.

Why is that?? You use glycogen/fat stores for energy in the deficit. In the surplus those stores are replenished. It balances out.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have done this quite often. When I know I have something coming up and will be eating more calories than normal I will eat a bit less in the days before and/or after the event. I've lost almost 100lbs ;)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

For one thing, it takes FAR longer than an hour for the body to digest food. That alone makes tracking hourly silly. Your body doesn't work hour to hour, it works on a 24 hour circadian rhythm. Trends develop over weeks, not hours. Your body constantly uses stored glycogen and fat for energy use. The food you eat doesn't get burned for energy at that time, it is processed and stored to replace the energy used by the body. The key is that overall calories consumed need to be less than calories expended over time. What happens in an hour is completely irrelevant.
  • ozerion
    ozerion Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    One of the old weight watchers plans would allow you to bank points, each week the get reset. The more time you spend in deficit the more weight you will lose. That said, staying at too much of a deficit for too long will force the body to start storing fat and thus slow down weight loss and actually result in faster gain when you correct.

If you want to bank calories, go for it. As many others have said, it works for them. Just do it in moderation.

The old WW plan basically had a minimum point each day, you could then bank up to a small number of points each day (including exercise points), at the end of the week, unused points were reset. I used this plan and it worked well.

As it stands, I try to just eat healthy, stay near my goal, and if I am doing well then I don't mind a splurge now and then. I just have to be careful because it is a slippery slope for me.
  • KetoToThin
    Options

Why is that?? You use glycogen/fat stores for energy in the deficit. In the surplus those stores are replenished. It balances out.

Im not saying i'm right, im just saying it doesnt make sense to my brain.

If you empty your glycogen stores and take from your fat stores, thats a transaction.

Im not sure how adding to it the next day would balance that out.

But maybe it will.
  • KetoToThin
    Options
    One of the old weight watchers plans would allow you to bank points, each week the get reset. The more time you spend in deficit the more weight you will lose. That said, staying at too much of a deficit for too long will force the body to start storing fat and thus slow down weight loss and actually result in faster gain when you correct.

If you want to bank calories, go for it. As many others have said, it works for them. Just do it in moderation.

The old WW plan basically had a minimum point each day, you could then bank up to a small number of points each day (including exercise points), at the end of the week, unused points were reset. I used this plan and it worked well.

As it stands, I try to just eat healthy, stay near my goal, and if I am doing well then I don't mind a splurge now and then. I just have to be careful because it is a slippery slope for me.

That's not true. Lyle McDonald debunked that myth a while ago. You will not start storing fat while in a caloric deficit.
  • KetoToThin
    Options

For one thing, it takes FAR longer than an hour for the body to digest food. That alone makes tracking hourly silly. Your body doesn't work hour to hour, it works on a 24 hour circadian rhythm. Trends develop over weeks, not hours. Your body constantly uses stored glycogen and fat for energy use. The food you eat doesn't get burned for energy at that time, it is processed and stored to replace the energy used by the body. The key is that overall calories consumed need to be less than calories expended over time. What happens in an hour is completely irrelevant.

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
  • vha2
    vha2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    WOW thanks for all the responses, that didn't take long! OK cool as, sounds like this method has definitely been working for you guys so I won't stress about it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've lost 11kg (24.5lbs) by working on a weekly goal. Weekdays I'm 1200-1300, weekends I'm 2000-2500. Works for me!