Over 40, been at it for 3 weeks hard and no results. HELP

Options
I have completely changed my diet, and go to the gym for 1.5 hours 4-5 days a week. I push myself everyday at the gym, if I am not sweating, then I push harder. my family also camps, which includes hiking and swimming all weekend. I do not eat enything after dinner, my snacks all day are fresh fruit and vegetables. Yet, I have not lost one single pound. I realize it gets harder after 40, but really????? Does anybody have a secret that worked for them? Thanks for any advise and good luck to everyone in reaching your goals.

Replies

• kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary we may be able to give better feedback
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I am older than you. That probably has nothing to do with it.

1) what are you eating? Weight, % body fat, caloric intake, macros, etc?

2) hormones. Really as a woman you need to give it at least a month to assess if it is working or not.

ETA hugs!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Is the exercise new? 3 weeks is still within the range of water weight retention from a new exercise routine. Especially if you keep increasing your intensity. Our bodies flood sore muscles with water to help cushion and repair them after a workout. This can cause small stalls or even a gain on the scale until our body gets used to the activity.

It's really going to help us if we have more information. Right now any advice we give you could either be something you're already doing or completely contrary to what your actual problem is.

Would you be comfortable opening your diary for us to take a look?

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by a whole lot when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is always going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.
  • Taiser
    Taiser Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm living proof that over 40 means nothing. Food intake is probably 75% more important than exercise when it comes to weight loss. You can work out like a fiend forever but if your diet is crummy the weight won't come off. Check your food intake with others on here, it might surprise you! :)
  • scud8888
    scud8888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and I found that once I started being completely disciplined the weight did come off. I have found that there are good calories and bad calories. Even if I'm under my calorie goal, too much bread or other starchy food means I tend to lose less, and some days I struggle to eat enough protein. Also, don't over-do it. If I don't eat enough I don't lose as much as I expect to.

Keep at it - if you're genuinely burning more than you're eating you will inevitably lose weight.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. Be totally honest in your logging this is most important. Set your goals to 1-1.5 a week and follow the MFP guidelines. Haunt the forums, read the success stories, check out the diaries of people who have been successful for tips on foods. You will find lots of good advice here. Use the search function if you have any questions, quite often these have been asked before.

If you are new to exercise it is possible that you are retaining some water as your muscles tend to store it to help them heal when they have been worked hard. Give it some more time and check your measurements sometimes the scale doesn't show your progress but your measurements do.

Don't try and do everything at once, small changes can make a big difference and they are more sustainable.

Above all do not give up, you will get there.

I am 57 so it is possible to lose weight after 40 and I don't exercise as much as I should either so it is mostly about diet.:flowerforyou:
  • crosedonahue
    crosedonahue Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Change up your routine! Isn't it amazing how we work so hard to lose weight, yet we easily gain weight- ughhhhh.
  • MammaMoon
    MammaMoon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too am over 40 and started on a weight lifting program (read Mike Matthews Thinner Leaner Stronger), it has great advice and practical application for women. I was not fit at all and obese (still am at 33% body fat but getting there), I have lost 20lbs so far. I lift weights (heavy with low reps) 5 times a week for a max of 45-60 mins and 1 abs session with 2 sessions of HIIT (max 18 minutes). Most women fall into the trap of low weights, high reps as they believe this will prevent bulking and provide muscle definition. This is just a waste of time and will have little effect on your fat loss. When you build muscle, you are creating a natural fat burner that burns calories to maintain...BUT, you have to be eating right. If you are not eating enough quality carbs, protein, fats you will lose strength and your body will go into starvation mode and metabolism will slow right down. Sorry, I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs. Have a look at www.muscleforlife.com, this will help dispel any bulking myths and provide real science based advice. It's working for me, and I have tried many times to lose weight; unsuccessfully. But so motivated doing this and totally enjoy the food I am eating. Good luck.:smile:
  • justcallmedave
    justcallmedave Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    as a fellow 40 something , it is important to remember it took a long time to put the weight on and it will take a long time to take it off. Dont be too hard on yourself and dont go like a bull at a gate in the gm,slow and steady is what's best for us,If you go too hard too soon , you are more likely to injure yourself, which will put your weight loss plans firmly on the back burner. Rome wasn't built in a week and neither will great life long dietary and exercise habits.
  • basiabroker
    basiabroker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Read up on the woosh effect. Itll make you feel better. :)
  • tgraves9875
    tgraves9875 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you staying within your calories? I know I could eat well over 1200 in "healthy" food without blinking if I wasn't counting everything.
  • suze2008
    suze2008 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 73 and work hard to eat right - have tried off and on lots of different diets, from OptiFast (f500 calories a day), weight watchers and Atkins. I find now that I am doing better by watching what I eat and walking. I use a fitbit zip and walk 5 to 6 miles at least 5 days a week, in a 2 hour walk. Other days I might walk two or 3 miles around the neighborhood for a little over an hour.

Weight loss hasn't been spectacular, but firming up a lot. I am 5ft 2 inches, weigh 135 pounds - goal is 125. I am hoping that my slow change in weight is caused by muscle building. Just want the fat to get lost, and to remain healthy

Don't give up the battle, results will come to you.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and restarting efforts to lose big. I didn't lose a whole lot at the beginning this time around, which is unusual for me. And I was eating right, and getting more exercise than I have in a long time, with a trainer, too! Finally after just over a month the pounds are moving. I aim to do this for my whole life, so I figure even if the scale's not showing anything great, at the very least I am doing good things for my body.

Just hang in there!!!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm over 40 as well. You need to give it time. 3 weeks is about 3 pounds give or take, and if you're retaining water, it won't show on the scale.

Give it time. Be consistent with exercise and calorie deficits. Weigh everything you can on a food scale. Be accurate. And to say it again, give it time.
  • SharkDiverMom2Be
    Options
    Cut ALL bread and dairy. Sub carbonated beverages for green tea. If you hate green tea..buy Dr. Brandt water boosters and put 2 droppers full into a beverage of your choice. Make sure you are drinking 8 glasses of water a day with lemon. That should do it. Even with minimal working out...diet is everything.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,293 Member
    Options
    Cut ALL bread and dairy. Sub carbonated beverages for green tea. If you hate green tea..buy Dr. Brandt water boosters and put 2 droppers full into a beverage of your choice. Make sure you are drinking 8 glasses of water a day with lemon. That should do it. Even with minimal working out...diet is everything.

strong first post!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention your caloric intake. That's pretty critical. Did you not mention it because you're not monitoring it? Eating fruits and vegetables for snacks is great and healthy and all, and so is exercising, but if you're eating as many or more calories than you burn overall it doesn't matter WHAT you're eating, you won't lose weight.

Set an appropriate caloric deficit. Track the calories in your food to make sure you're hitting the target. Measure your food carefully and with a scale. Get back to us after 4 weeks of that if you still aren't losing.
  • GiddieGrl
    GiddieGrl Posts: 11
    Options
    I also believe it's really important to take measurements of your arms, bust, waist, hips, thighs, calves....because often times when my scale doesn't move........................inches are still coming off. Take the time to measure :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Ignore this advice. Unless you have a condition like celiac, diabetes, lactose intolerance, etc. bread and dairy and carbonated drinks do not affect weight loss as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit.

How many calories are you eating? What is your deficit from your energy expenditure? A little more information will help us offer suggestions. I am 57 and my age is not affecting my weight loss. I am aiming for 1 pound a week but am averaging a little closer to 1.3 pounds so far.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Read up on the woosh effect. Itll make you feel better. :)

I just did. Very interesting. Explains a lot!