Cardio Excerise for Winter

Options
How do I get in Cardio for the winter? I live in Michigan and doing DVD inside, no gym membership, just need a way to get Cardio in.

Suggestions?

Replies

• conleygirl
    Options
    well i do indoor excersizes like reps of 3 sets of 20 crunches and holding a 10lb weight and lift it over your head as you do a sit up. you can also do stairs ,and calf raises also on the stairs. if you have an excersize ball lean it againist something and do sit ups on it from laying on the floor with your legs on the ball it is a very good ab workout
  • rayflana
    Options
    How about ice skating? I LOVED ice hockey out on the lakes when I lived in Maryland. Even at a skating rink. It's a great leg, back and butt workout....

When it's too cold to ride here in NC, I workout in my garage either jumping rope, or cycling with a "trainer" that I can prop my back tire up on and "ride" in the garage.

Hope this helps.

I also see a TON of folks "mall-walk" inside the huge malls down here. Great workout as well.
  • jusimm
    jusimm Posts: 28
    Options
    do you have a gaming system for your TV? Nice to mix it up.....some day DVD and some days I do the WII
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Jillian Michaels at all? Other than my knee hurting (and that is because it is weak) It is great. I do her 30 day shred and there is a ton of cardio in there.
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Try the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD too! It's wonderful, but it definitely works you out. Don't get discouraged if you try it because it can be pretty tough at first. Stick with it and you'll see great results.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser workouts are great too! I live in Kansas, and running outside is not feasible in the winter - unless I want my lungs to burn. I love the Biggest Loser Cardio Max, because there are 3 levels and you can program it to do them all or just pick one.
    I also do Walking at Home with Leslie Sansone.
  • dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    Options
    Do you have Exercise TV on your cable? I use it when I get bored with my library of dvds..They have a wide variety of workouts..Yesterday I tried Piloxing-combo of boxing and pilates..it was a good cardio workout after my strength training wo..The winters are long here in NE, too..but when the sunshine comes out and it isn't too cold, I try to get out for a walk..Need that sunshine on my face!
  • aschultz9
    Options
    I live in Wisconsin, so kind of similar climate. I'm a runner and running outside in winter is actually one of my favorite things. I wear layers and remove as needed as I get warmed up along the way.
    Also, sledding is a great cardio work out (schlepping the sled back up the hill, good for the heart and the buns).
    My treadmill is one of the best investments I've ever made, well worth the money as I use it every morning when it's still dark out.

I am looking into trying down hill skiing this winter, and would like to try just going out snow shoeing.
  • Belch59
    Belch59 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got a GREAT workout yesterday by shoveling snow. If you want something more fun, snowshoeing in a nearby park or cemetery is good. Yes, I know it sounds weird, but if you live in the city, it can be a nice quiet, peaceful place to walk with little traffic. Snowshoes are inexpensive at LLBean or sporting goods stores, just remember to dress in layers.
  • shammy77
    Options
    men's health has what's called the body weight 200 workout. Almost everything can be done at home and doesn't require a gym. Here is the link:

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/no-gym-no-excuses-workout
  • LMP1979
    LMP1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If the weather is too bad to be out - jump rope! It can be one of the BEST cardio workouts. It can improve your coordination and balance to. I use it alot in interval training and as I've learned there are quite a few different ways to jump rope! (one leg, fast rope, low rope, skip, side to side etc) . Thought it was a little cheesy when I started, but I have a new respect for it. This is the site I use which has a ton of cardio exercises with jump roping in them: www.bodyrock.tv