Good Red wines??? Going to try to stick to that as drinking

Options
i drink wayyyy to much beer and liquor and i wanna give red wine a shot !! Any wine drinkers out there give me a suggestion for a good brand

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Isn't the legal age for liquor in the US 21 years old? :huh: I'm not touchin' this one.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    There are so many good reds out there and they tend to be very location specific and varietal, I think rather than ask for a brand recommendation, you should work out what variety you like then ask someone at the liquor store to make a recommendation of that type in your price range :)

Do you like heavy reds with good body? Shiraz or Cab Sav. Lighter red? Try a Pinot Noir. Mid range? Grab a Merlot or a Grenache. Then there are your blends...

Are there wineries near you you could go to for tasting? Or a big liquor store that does tastings?
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Can I see your I.D.?
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I drink wine almost nightly (a glass or 2, not a bottle!), and it's the only alcohol I consume. I am not sophisticated, nor a wine snob, but my personal preference that tastes delicious and fits my meagre budget is Yellowtail Shiraz. Where I live in Canada, a 750ml bottle is $13. It'll last me 2-3 nights (depending on if it's a night with one glass or 2), and 8oz is 160 calories (that's a good-sized glass!).

Edit: Any Yellowtail is good, really, for a budget brand - but shiraz is my personal favorite. Bold and delicious, not bitter. Their Sweet Red Roo has more calories and is sweeter, but of all the other kinds I've tried, it's definitely my second favorite.
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about brands just try them all and find one you like. I grew up in wine country and most people can't tell an expensive brand from a cheap one.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
    Bring me some water...
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Great thread...3 days into a MFP 30 day no booze challenge! :grumble: :grumble: :n:grumble:

Love, love red wine! :heart:
  • candy1092
    candy1092 Posts: 8
    Options
    Im going to Vegas for my birthday soon I problem should see if they have one there and try it out ,,,,Sadly i live in little ol Midland TX and i don't think there is one …but like i said about my drinking habits i want to try to like that and cut everything else out
    haha and by the way ill be 21 in two months :D ill be legal then !!!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I drink wines but there has only been 1 red wine I liked and it's sweet red. Unless you call Red moscato red wine, it is red but technically moscato is a white wine.
  • candy1092
    candy1092 Posts: 8
    Options
    Great thread...3 days into a MFP 30 day no booze challenge! :grumble: :grumble: :n:grumble:

Love, love red wine! :heart:

Oh man Keep strong!!! i know its got to be hard u know to think about it i don't think i could do that! When you finish you will be proud:)
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Big bold red by yellow tail is the best wine for the price IMO.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of Clos du Bois. I like the cab the best. It's my go to =)

mmmmm wine
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    So many to choose from...

If you want to try something from Italy maybe a Sassicaia or a Massetto.
    From France you must try the Chateau Lafitte Rothschild or a Haut Brion. Just avoid the 2002 vintage.

If you like bring jammy reds, from Austraila look for the Penfolds Grange, you won't regret it, and a little closer to home there's some great wines from California, like Screaming Eagle and Grace Family Cabernet Sauvignons.

Good luck OP!
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Isn't the legal age for liquor in the US 21 years old? :huh: I'm not touchin' this one.

^^
    This.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    When you turn 21, you may want to try one of my favorite reds...Apothic Red! It is a blend of Merlot, Syrah, Cab and Zinfandel. Nice on the tongue.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The drinking age is 19 where I live, and I forgot it's higher in the US. So, OP - heed my reccomendations after your birthday :)
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    So many to choose from...

If you want to try something from Italy maybe a Sassicaia or a Massetto.
    From France you must try the Chateau Lafitte Rothschild or a Haut Brion. Just avoid the 2002 vintage.

If you like bring jammy reds, from Austraila look for the Penfolds Grange, you won't regret it, and a little closer to home there's some great wines from California, like Screaming Eagle and Grace Family Cabernet Sauvignons.

Good luck OP!

And if you prefer sweet wines Chateau D'Yquem is delicious, but you really shouldn't drink more than a glass or two. ETA: It's a white, but worth it to branch out.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    For a decent, cheaper bottle Parker Estate Cab is always good.
    A bit more, the Franciscan Cab is a good buy.

Those are usually good year over year without fail.