can i still lose weight without exercise

Options
so i've been on the badminton team for quite some time and have developed big muscles at my thigh area that i dont like.. so i figured in order to lose that muscle i have to stop working out. but i'm afraid that if i stop working out i will gain weight.. so i would like to know if i stop working out but continue to count and keep track of my calorie intake and food intake, am i still able to lose weight or will i gain??? i'm 164cm and currently around 50-51kg. i've dropped to 49 but gained it back.. :-( so yeah can anybody enlighten me?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can lose weight without exercise.

Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight. You will find you cannot eat as many calories than if you were exercising, but it can be done and is done very single day.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you want to lose muscle? Muscle is not a bad thing.
  • bambinii
    bambinii Posts: 4
    Options
    Is there a reason you want to lose muscle? Muscle is not a bad thing.

it gets very unflattering when i wear shorts.. :/ and it's not very proportionate to my upper body
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight by simply burning more calories than you eat. However, rather than try to lose the muscles in your thighs (which coincidentally help you burn more calories each day) why not focus on putting on more muscle on your upper body to even things out? I say this as someone who has always had big thighs, too. I was a gymnast and competed in karate in my teens and into my 30s. I always hated my thighs because they were so large and muscular but I eventually came to see them as an asset. I was strong and fit and to hell with what anyone else thought about them.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Just start working out your upper body with weights so you get more proportionate. I've done leg cardio for years, so I have muscular legs, but it think it's sexy to have musculature as long as you balance it out.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just start working out your upper body with weights so you get more proportionate. I've done leg cardio for years, so I have muscular legs, but it think it's sexy to have musculature as long as you balance it out.

Totally agree with this.....women with muscular legs are hot! Work out the upper body and have the total package....if nothing else just stop working out your legs and work out upper body only.
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    Yup. You can lose weight without exercise.

I wish my legs were muscular. You are lucky.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    yes but exercise is so much fun!
  • lanthiriel
    lanthiriel Posts: 18
    Options
    Also, you could focus on cardio like walking/jogging/running. Have you looked at a marathoner recently? Super fit, but very lean.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I started reading, but got stuck at badminton! :noway:

All the best..
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    You won't see much difference in how much you can eat to lose or maintain! You can lose and can maintain with zero exercise and counting calories!