Need your favorite hominy recipes

Options
Mangopickle
Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
I have replaced potatoes in my lifestyle with hominy. The lower glycemic load and 50% lower calories help me maintain my weight more easily. Not to mention potatoes are one of my worst trigger foods. Please share your favorite family recipes. The only dish I currently make with hominy is Posole.

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Options
    Surely somebody has some favorite recipes :)
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    White chicken chili

McCormick's white chicken chili mix (or make your own)
    Can of hominy
    Can of cannelini beans
    24 oz. chicken

Made in the crock pot, the entire pot is 1371 cal, so split your servings as you like. This easily feeds two adults and two kids in my house.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Haha, was so excited to see hominy I didn't read the Posole part.....still I Love this recipe

from Cooking Light. Even my picky husband who is not a hominy fan loved it!

Ingredients

1 teaspoon olive oil
    12 ounces boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 cup chopped onion
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/2 cup beer
    2 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
    1/2 cup salsa verde
    1 (28-ounce) can hominy, drained
    1/4 cup cilantro leaves
    4 radishes, sliced
    4 lime wedges

Preparation

1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add pork; sauté 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove pork from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan. Add onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return pork to pan; stir in cumin and pepper. Add beer; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid almost evaporates (about 9 minutes).
    2. Add chicken stock, salsa, and hominy; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 10 minutes or until pork is very tender, stirring occasionally. Ladle 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 4 bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1 sliced radish. Serve with lime wedges.
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    White chicken chili

McCormick's white chicken chili mix (or make your own)
    Can of hominy
    Can of cannelini beans
    24 oz. chicken

Made in the crock pot, the entire pot is 1371 cal, so split your servings as you like. This easily feeds two adults and two kids in my house.
    Yum!! I am definitely going to make this with chicken thighs. Thanks
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    Haha, was so excited to see hominy I didn't read the Posole part.....still I Love this recipe

from Cooking Light. Even my picky husband who is not a hominy fan loved it!

Ingredients

1 teaspoon olive oil
    12 ounces boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 cup chopped onion
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/2 cup beer
    2 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
    1/2 cup salsa verde
    1 (28-ounce) can hominy, drained
    1/4 cup cilantro leaves
    4 radishes, sliced
    4 lime wedges

Preparation

1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add pork; sauté 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove pork from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan. Add onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return pork to pan; stir in cumin and pepper. Add beer; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid almost evaporates (about 9 minutes).
    2. Add chicken stock, salsa, and hominy; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 10 minutes or until pork is very tender, stirring occasionally. Ladle 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 4 bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1 sliced radish. Serve with lime wedges.

I have never made Posole with beer and radishes. I keep having radish and Daikon suggested to me. I love it since I just found out they have a glycemic load of 1!! Thank you!
  • maireailbhe
    maireailbhe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yay, hominy!! Aside from posole, I don't actually have any recipes particular to hominy, to be honest. Instead, I just put it in everything I love! If I make something in the crock pot, in goes a can of hominy! Burritos or enchiladas? Add hominy! Not feeling creative? Heat up hominy with some coarse-ground black pepper on it! One of my favorite ways to use it is to make it the way you'd make O'Brien Potatoes---fry it up with some chopped bell peppers and onions! :D
  • Quiche867
    Quiche867 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to use it is to make it the way you'd make O'Brien Potatoes---fry it up with some chopped bell peppers and onions! :D

I really like the idea of using hominy to make O'Brien "Potatoes"! I'm going to have to try that out. :happy:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    shrimp and grits
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    tagging for recipes... the only thing I've ever had hominy with is meat/liver pudding...
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Been making hominy casserole for years:

2 large can Hominy, drained (save some of the liquid)
    1 1/2 cups cheese - cheddar, pepperjack, jack - your choice (I just use regular cheese but you could use low fat
    1 1/2 cups sour cream
    1 med can Diced Chile peppers
    3 tbsp green onions
    ( Potato chips, corn chips, corn flakes or more cheese for topping - but it's great without) (can easily 1/2 the recipe)

Mix all ingredients together. Sprinkle top with topping of choice - or omit entirely. (If too dry add a bit of the reserved liquid.) Spray baking dish and transfer ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.

sorry been making it for so many years I don't know nutritional values, and I'm lucky if I get a one cup serving, lol.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    hominy is really popular in ecuadorian cuisine. my moms friend used to make a cilantro salad side with it, but i cant find a recipe for it... so maybe she just made it up LOL. anyways i did a search for ecuadorian hominy and a ton of stuff came up! you might want to do the same... seems like theres some interesting combinations!