Hypothyroid "Transition" tips?

Options
Despite 5 years of 1200 calorie diets and 4 day a week, 2-3 hour exercise "marathons," I have continued to steadily gain weight to the point where I am nearly 40 pounds overweight. Last week, I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism. It's great news, because now I actually know what's wrong with me - but the fact that it takes nearly 6 weeks for the medicine to even begin to work (and that's only assuming I started off on a perfect dosage) has left me confused on what to do in the meantime. Does anyone have any tips on how I should use these six weeks to properly prepare my body to optimize fat loss when the meds do kick in? Right now, I'm thinking my goal should just be to gain as much muscle as possible, but if anyone has any other suggestions, please share. Especially diet ideas - what proportion of fats, proteins, carbs? Has anyone had any success with low-carb/ketosis diets? I've heard mixed reviews about how that affects the thyroid.

Also, does anyone know if weight loss becomes significantly easier, or even after treatment will I continue to see minimal results? (I'm a young adult, if that matters.)

Replies

• ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Be prepared that medication may not fix it completely. I was diasgonised 12 years ago at the age of 23 after a similar journey. Clean eater, avid gym goer and gained 20 pounds in 4 months. To this day even with a 90% clean diet and training for a marathon I have a very hard time losing weight.
  • rhartman0507
    Options
    You should definately see a significant drop in weight in the first month from the medication kicking in. I was in the same boat several years ago. I had gained about 50 pounds. At the end of the first month of medication I was down 28 lbs. Good luck!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you get a referral from your doctor to go see an experienced dietitian to help you create a weight loss plan that works with your medication. In the meantime, check out the “Groups” section above for groups dedicated for people like you.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I suggest educating yourself on thyroid treatment by going to stopthethyroidmadness.com.
  • MissionRecovery
    MissionRecovery Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I suggest educating yourself on thyroid treatment by going to stopthethyroidmadness.com.

This! It's so much more complicated than just taking medication. Request NDT not T4 only and get an adrenal stress index test too!
  • amandamaria78
    Options
    Just wondering what medication you take?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) and take Synthroid & Cytomel. The meds make me less fatigued, so I can exercise more. But they didn't stop the weight gain. The only thing that worked was logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. I didn't realize how much I was eating.

Using MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums makes me less hungry. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

MFP has two thyroid groups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51427-butterfly-chasers
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Generally, people don't lose a ton of weight once they start taking thyroid medication. That would require a huge over correction. Thyroid hormone replacement fixes your metabolism so it fires at a more normal level, but it's still up to you to lose the weight. At the moment, my levels are technically hyper, and it's really not making me lose weight like I'm going to be on someone's magic pill commercial anytime soon. It's just made it so it's possible to lose weight when I make the effort.

Building lean muscle mass is never the wrong answer. I would say, don't expect miracles, eat a healthy, well balanced diet, and play with your macros and see how you feel. Personally, I've been much more prone to low blood sugar times, so I've had to make sure there's something carby every few hours (fruit and dark chocolate are my favorites, but Sour Patch kids are awesome for when I'm all, "Woooo, loooow blood suger, wheeee, lights are pretty!"). I also focus on getting certain numbers of protein and fiber that I've found work for me. For me, the best part of getting thyroid medication has been being able to see results like, "Wooo pretty lights oopsie forgot to eat my banana," and know what's wrong and how to fix it, as opposed to just feeling crappy 100% of the time and having the medical profession tell me it's all in my head.
  • marissabd242
    Options
    Amandamaria78: I'm on Synthroid right now.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    When I first got on thyroid meds, I did drop about 12 pounds without any extra effort. I'm sure it was just water, though.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Remember that they may need to re-adjust your dosage a time or two before it's just right. I've been on Synthroid for years and my dose changes from time to time. Not sure it if's stress or lack of sleep or just the phase of the moon, but my levels go wonky occasionally.

It's still loads better than before medication!! :bigsmile:
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed and started the meds 12 years ago, I found that they stopped the weight gain. The meds themselves didn't help me lose. It was diet that helped me to drop the weight.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Remember that they may need to re-adjust your dosage a time or two before it's just right. I've been on Synthroid for years and my dose changes from time to time.
    My endocrinologist has adjusted my dosages every three months since my Hashimoto's diagnosis two years ago.