Tips for getting back on track

Options
Hey guys! I've been using fitness pal off and on for about a year and I love it. So far I've found this app/site to be the best way to keep track of the food I eat and to make sure that I'm not going overboard.

Speaking of which, I went on vacation two weeks ago, had a lot of fun, and ate very poorly. I can't say that I regret the beers, clam chowder, or double cheeseburger topped with brie cheese and fried onion rings but I do regret the fact that I can't get back to my healthy eating pattern.

So far I've managed to lose 23 pounds and keep the weight off. I want to continue to see progress, and hopefully lose my belly one day (crosses fingers). I would hate it if one great vacation was the catalyst for me falling off completely.

This week I've had frozen yogurt topped with cookie dough and oreos, paella, sushi, fried shrimp tempura, beef teriyaki and fried rice, and spaghetti with sausages. My stomach is hating me for this! I still manage to work out 5xs a week though.

My question to you all is do you have any tips for getting back on track after a period of destruction? Does anyone have examples or stories they can share of a moment where they lost weight, ate terribly, and went back to a healthy lifestyle? Thanks for reading guys ;-)

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have had a few vacations, long weekends, holidays and such but I still keep on logging. Logging the not so good stuff while taking a break helps me get back to the healthy stuff quicker.
  • epf82061
    epf82061 Posts: 8
    Options
    I would log it so you can see the ugly stuff. As long as I'm logging I tend to make healthier choices because I don't want to see them.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I usually eat what I want on vaca and continue to log. I do try to make good choices mainly because I like good choices, lol!
    I eat more dessert on vaca and drink more wine.
    I try to keep as active as possible so I usually stay the same weight wise or maybe gain 2-3 pounds.
    When I get back, I allow myself one more day without going strictly back on plan.
    After that I just do it. At the same time I always have treats if I want them as long as they fit into my goal.
    It just requires some discipline but you can do it if you want to.

Edited for grammar
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I agree, keep logging everything good or bad. I know after I've indulged, it makes me crave more... more carbs, more salt, more fried stuff etc. For me, the only fix is to go cold turkey for a few days and be really strict with sticking to plan then I can go back to my normal routine without the cravings.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    My tip:

Just do it. If you wait for the motivation, you either won't get back to it or you'll get back to it once you've put the weight back on. How do you get back to work after a vacation? You go into work. Treat your eating and fitness the same way.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    With only 13 lbs. to go (congratulations on your loss!), set your goal to .5 lb. per week. The smaller deficit will also help you transition to maintenance.

Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Far2shy
    Far2shy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I will try all of these tips!