Eating less than 1200 not losing ANY weight

Options
I eat around 1200 calories a day. I work out every day at the gym, in the morning and the afternoon. Usually burning around 600-1300 calories on the elliptical (between 70 min- 140 min) and do some weight lifting as well.

I'm 5ft and weigh about 110 pounds. I can't seem to lose ANY weight. I just don't understand how people lose weight, nothing I do is working. If i eat more I gain more weight, I don't think I can eat less. Any advice? I'm just trying to lose a few pounds.

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    how long have you been eating 1200 calories per day, and how do you measure your calories in?
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    Are you sure you're not overestimating your calorie burn? That sounds pretty high for someone who isn't overweight.

Your BMI is in the normal range. I think that often, people who are thin but want to lose a few "vanity pounds" have a hard time because our bodies don't want to lose the weight; our bodies are like, "um excuse me I need this." Because you aren't overweight, any weight you do lose is going to come off slowly. A half pound a week seems reasonable. Give it some time.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're not overestimating your calorie burn? That sounds pretty high for someone who isn't overweight.

Your BMI is in the normal range. I think that often, people who are thin but want to lose a few "vanity pounds" have a hard time because our bodies don't want to lose the weight; our bodies are like, "um excuse me I need this." Because you aren't overweight, any weight you do lose is going to come off slowly. A half pound a week seems reasonable. Give it some time.

Yeah, maybe this is the weight that is optimum for your body right now. Give it a rest for a week or so then try again.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200 calories a day. I work out every day at the gym, in the morning and the afternoon. Usually burning around 600-1300 calories on the elliptical (between 70 min- 140 min) and do some weight lifting as well.

I'm 5ft and weigh about 110 pounds. I can't seem to lose ANY weight. I just don't understand how people lose weight, nothing I do is working. If i eat more I gain more weight, I don't think I can eat less. Any advice? I'm just trying to lose a few pounds.
    Well, your weight is normal. Why are you trying to lose weight?

That said, and with all due respect, there is no way a tiny person like you is burning 600-1300 calories on the elliptical for an hour and ten minutes to two hours and twenty minutes. If you were an obese person I would believe it, but the less you weight the less calories you burn because your body is more efficient.

I am bigger than you (5 ft 4.5 and 139 pounds), and for one hour of running, or six miles, I burn only about 500 calories. If were to run two hours, it would only be 1,000 calories. These calories are estimates from my heart rate monitor. MFP and gym machines way overestimate the calories.

Since you are already at a normal weight, any weight you want to lose needs to be done slowly at .5 pounds per week, and it will take awhile.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    At your weight/height ratio it is smarter to use a measuring tape rather than a scale. By varying the exercize you can sculpt your body and add muscle, arriving at a more pleasing shape through working out. You already work out a lot, and you are most likely getting the benefit of this, but since you are staring at the scale you're not noticing the changes in your body.

Also: When I work out a lot, my body retains water. It may help to just rest for a day or two. Don't stop working out, but give your body a chance to heal occasionally.

Good luck!