Amazing tasting Low budget ice cream please!

Options
SugaryLynx
SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
So, I have a confession...husband put me in the corner. $5 Talenti cannot be a weekly thing, especially if pints disappear magically at night. I must have it. They have aided me throughout weight loss and now to my bulk. They my friend. I pet my ice cram. Halp. What tasty ice cream can I get for a good price that may last more than a day?

(Hint:if you mention arctic zero I swear I will gif you so hard)

Srs inquiries only. :flowerforyou:

Oh and...
1441kzp.jpg

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Bluebell. But it won't live up to the quality of the expensive stuff. No way no how. But for cheap ice cream, it beats the heck out of Breyer's 'frozen dairy treat' or whatever they have to call it since it isn't real ice cream anymore.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Thank you! I've heard good things about Blue Bell. I mean, once a month I am sooo having Talenti because I agree, you really can't replace it. Last night, I had a sea salt caramel gelato pop... Omg ice cream heaven♡♡♡
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    IMO wait for edys slow churned to go on sale and then stockpile it.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    D: the slow churn is pretty awesome calorie wise too. Omg. The German chocolate cake one was pretty good and lasted me awhile. ..I shall keep this in mind as well!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I agree on stockpiling on sale. We rotate among Edy's, Breyer's, Ben & Jerry's and Publix Premium (our store brand), depending on what's on sale. We'll fill a freezer with ice cream. No lie. No shame.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    my favorrrrrite was the Dryers (I think its Edys too) Slow Churned Pumpkin Ice cream. But … (sad face) its limited edition.

I CANT WAIT FOR AUTUMN TO COME!!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I also think the slow-churn is pretty good for ice cream in the lower price range. Although my local grocery has Talenti BOGO this week, so if anyone needs me, I'll be out pricing standalone freezers.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is legit arguably my favorite food.

My faves are the more expensive kinds as well, but the cheapest brands I've found that I actually enjoy are Turkey Hill and a store brand sold here in NYC (and elsewhere?) called White Rose.

But here almost every grocery store has at least one name brand on sale every week, so if this is your area you should be alright.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Make your own. If you can find an old fashioned crank ice cream maker, you can burn some calories in the making. The cranking starts out easy, but gets progressively tougher as the ice cream freezes and hardens. Get a friend or two and take turns until it's done.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Last month I was eating those Talenti pops everyday for breakfast, so bad! And pricey. I have 2 boxes in the freezer that I can't open or they will be gone, the sea salt caramel and chocolate are the best!
    But no, no low price ideas. Unless Tillamook if you're on the west coast?
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Walgreens has a line called de-lish. Their premium ice cream is very good. Don't get the regular de-lish, go for the premium. The base is very creamy and the have a good ratio of mix ins. My current favorite is salted caramel butter pecan. So good.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I like Breyer's fat free but it's fro-yo if that okay
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Graeters. (Droool.)

create-your-own-pack.jpg

Ah, well, not exactly low budget...but then again you will stop eating food once you discover Graeters...
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am not a big ice cream fan anymore, once I started eating frozen yogurt. That said my favorite frozen yogurt is Blue Bunny White Chocolate Raspberry. It's usually around 4.00 USD a 2qt container. Not sure it's found all over though.
  • karinajean2388
    karinajean2388 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I feel like there are always ice cream sales on great brands! Especially now that it's summer.

I've liked Private Selection that I have tried so far though.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,910 Member
    Options
    Homemade! Although a maker will cost about $50 for a Cuisiart, after that you can make high quality ice cream pretty cheap. My favorite is peach-buttermilk (and it's coming on peach season!), but hubby's fav is maple-walnut.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Just get some bananas, cocoa and PB2! Mash it together and freeze it and you can't tell the diff.... yeah, nah. I can't even finish that sentence.

Coupons and stockpiling of the good stuff FTW!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Do you have aldi in USA? They have a GREAT premium brand "monarc" that is just as good as the big $ premium ones and half the price regular.

Otherwise, chest freezer and stock up. That is what I normally do.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Coupons & stock pile when on sale. Our store puts Talenti on sale every 5 weeks (yes I take my ice cream serious as you know) and the Breyer's Gelato is on the same schedule (and you can usually find and coupons for the Breyer's)

And of course I highly recommend spending the $25-30 on an ice cream maker and make your own!

My nutter butter ice cream made 5 pints and cost me about $6.00 to make