Fight Water with Water!

Options
This past weekend I was thinking about water consumption and what I learned in a nutrition class. They said to fight water with water! Now this seems counterproductive but its not! I remember them teaching me that when our bodies are burning fat that the cell structure in a last ditch effort attempt to stay alive. It does this by absorbing water from the bloodstream. If you have a high intake of sodium this effect can more than double the amount of water the body will retain. However, if you continue that water intake and watch your sodium intake after 24 - 48 hours the cell cannot live on just the water the cell membrane has absorbed and then just dies. The extra water that we drink helps to keep those dying cells filled with water instead of nourishment therefore killing and flushing the fat our of system. Remember I'm no doctor and I'm typing this best I can from memory.

I began thinking about it and it really does make sense. When I'm at the gym and I perspire if I keep fully hydrated and I've burned a ton of calories the next day I see little weight loss. Usually 2 days after a mega intense workout I see weight loss. So I say Fight water with water! Don't let that little bit of bloating you are carrying around get the best of you. Instead keep drinking and working out. And get ready for your body to flush that junk right out of your system!

Replies

• dwazy
    dwazy Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder and yes it does make sense!! I too want to see the scale move after a hard workout from the day before but that rarely happens. I've accepted it now (although frustrating) and I have to make myself drink water. I have found now that the craving for diet coke in the afternoon is gone with no headaches too. I hate to drink the water but make myself drink 24 ounces on the way to work, about 30 ounces before lunch, and about 30 ounces before I go home. If I don't structure it this way I fall off. Good luck to you!!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Definitely agree. If I don't drink my 12 glasses a day, I cannot lose weight.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! I just lowered my sodium intake to 1500 yesterday. I can't wait to see the results!
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this!!:bigsmile:
    its great info!!:drinker:
    My hubby bought me a Britta Water Pitcher for home.... cause I have a hard time drinking water at home! I love it!!! and it has helped me to not only drink a glass of water with supper but also I don't buy water bottles at all anymore, I just fill up my cute jug and take it to the gym with me!! win win situation!! :tongue:
    I definately recommend drinking extra water and gettting a Britta water pitcher! I :heart: mine!!
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! I just lowered my sodium intake to 1500 yesterday. I can't wait to see the results!

thanks for that idea, I just changed mine and see if that works for me also...... :bigsmile:
  • Scubasab
    Scubasab Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post and all of the wonderful and knowledgeable information it contained. I lowered my sodium about two weeks ago to 1500. I also upped my fiber and protein. I was just speaking to a nutritionist at whole foods yesterday and he asked how much water I was drinking and I told him 8-10 glasses per day and he said that it WAS NOT ENOUGH!!!! I never realized how important it is that we drink so much water. I used to be a BIG DIET COKE FAN!! Now I grab a water bottle instead! I have only had 1 soda in the past 5 days. Thanks again for sharing this information!!!! :flowerforyou: