Crockpot/Slow Cooker

Options
Hi All!,

I am thinking of investing in a slow cooker and I was just wondering does anybody have any nice, healthy recipes that can be cooked in a slow cooker. I like chicken and beef so any help would be great!

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend here. I just made the following stew last week. Turned out pretty good for something off the cuff:

3 lbs beef stew meat
    3 lbs lamb stew meat (bone in)
    2 onions
    five cloves of garlic
    2lbs baby carrots
    1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
    handful of dried portobello mushrooms
    4 cups homemade beef stock

I browned the meat in olive oil while adding the liquids to the crockpot. As meat browned it went into the crockpot. After all meat is brown, add the veggies to the pan to cook down a bit. Add a cup of red wine to deglaze the pan (get all the tasty brown meat bits out of it) and add everything to the crockpot.

I hit it with some dried oregano and dried basil and that was it. 12 hours later I divided it into 10 batches (I have matching IKEA tupperware for exactly this sort of thing) and have two weeks of lunches ready to go.
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hey, Stephie!! Check out the recipe section on the forums. There are some great recipes there. I use my slow cooker all the time, especially in the colder months.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am having chicken chili in my crock pot - 457 cal per serving. I use McCormick's white chicken chili mix, 24 oz. chicken, a can of hominy and a can of cannelini beans, split the whole crock pot into 3 servings and you get 457 cal per serving - one for me, one for hubby, and one for kids to split. Also, google and pinterest are your friends. I love my crock pot.
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It will be a great investment - I use mine all the time! I don't have any recipes per say, but just chuck in whatever kind of chicken you like with whatever liquid... Chicken thighs with some water and lemon juice makes yummy lemon chicken... Chicken breasts with a can of mushroom soup is also super tasty. Leave it on all day, come home from work, chuck in some veggies for the last hour or so, and you're set for dinner! Just play around... I've never used an exact recipe for my crock pot. Good luck :)
  • stateofzen
    Options
    In a couple of hours I'm going to throw two frozen chicken breasts, a can of rotel, and a tablespoon or so of chipotle in adobo sauce in my slow cooker. I'll shred it later and eat it like that- my husband will put it on a tortilla with cheese for shredded chicken tacos.

I recommend slow cooker liners too- easier clean up!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I use my slow cooker in the winter all the time. The recipe book that came with mine even has calorie counts. You'll find that most home-cooked meals have a lower calorie count and higher nutrition count than most things you can buy or get in a restaurant. I also like that I can cook a meal that I can eat for several days (unless it's stew and all the menfolk are home -- then it's gone in an evening!)
  • Auzziedoggie
    Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    DO THIS - Shredded Chicken Tacos

layer chicken thighs on the bottom
    1 can of rotel (10 oz)
    6-8 oz of salsa

cook on low for 6-8 hours. shred with fork. put in corn tortilas.

VARIATION

substitute 1 package of taco seasoning for rotel.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com is the best site around for crockpot recipes. You can input ingredients or just search crockpots recipes.

One of my favorites and SUPER easy is bbq chicken. three boneless/skinless chicken breasts and a bottle of bbq sauce, low for 8 hrs and you are done!!

I love making soup on the crockpot too. it is yummy and ready when i get home from work and there is plenty left over for lunches. i'm all about pre-cooking my meals these days.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You can make a lot of different soups in a crockpot, which is a great way to eat vegetables!

Although my favorite crockpot meal is chicken fajitas. Chop/slice up peppers, onions and chicken, mix with a jar of salsa or rotel and some taco seasoning and cook. Before serving squeeze fresh lime juice in and serve with tortillas and whatever toppings you want. Super easy, tasty & healthy.
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Get one, they are so handy, bacon wrapped chicken breast, my personal fav
  • kholcomb51
    kholcomb51 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love my slow cooker in the summer: no hot stove! I like to throw in some chicken breasts, green salsa from Trader Joe's, or a can or two of green chiles, cilantro, cumin, chile powder, maybe garlic, sometimes black beans, usually without. Then cook low 6-8 hours, shred and eat over rice or in tacos. Or just eat with whatever: salad, veggies, etc. Lots of variations possible. I like the bbq chicken that way too. And, though it's blazing hot out, I will still do a pot roast once in a while: brown meat first, then take it out and put in the cooker; saute onions, shallots and mushrooms in the same pan you browned in, add some beef broth, herbs of choice, red wine if you like (then it's like Beef Bourguignon, yummers!). Throw all that on top of the beef, and let it cook 6-8 on low till it's fork-tender. The veggies become a great sauce. To save some fat, let it all cool after cooking and skim.
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love this one!! SOOOO Good and perfect for anytime of the year. Makes a lot and you can freeze it

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
    Servings: 10 • Size: 1 1/4 cups • Calories: 203.7 • Fat: 1.4 g • Carb: 33.3 g • Fiber: 10.0 g • Protein: 16.9 g

Ingredients:
    •1 onion, chopped
    •1 16-oz can black beans
    •1 16-oz can kidney beans
    •1 8-oz can tomato sauce
    •10 oz package frozen corn kernels
    •2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
    •1 packet taco seasoning
    •1 tbsp cumin
    •1 tbsp chili powder
    •24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
    •chili peppers, chopped (optional)
    •1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
    Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. A half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low-fat cheese and sour cream.
  • DainaLC
    DainaLC Posts: 18,937 Member
    Options
    Oh you have to have one! There is nothing like going home and having most of your meal already done. I put ribs in mine this morning!
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A life saver, especially during the summer!

My favorite site for yummy dishes is skinny taste:flowerforyou:
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    yes google is your friend here! so many awesome recipes... you can search for low fat or low carb slow cooker recipes - whatever you need... I use it at least once or twice a week - all year round. it saves so much time after work - you come home to a yummy home cooked meal smell! and yummy food! I think pulled pork is my fave...
  • Stephie2612
    Options
    *NEWSFLASH*.....So i went ahead and bought a slow cooker last night lol.....I am soo looking forward to trying all of the recipes you guys recommended. Thanks so much for the help :)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I am cooking oxtail in my slow cooker at the moment, nothing too fancy:

1kilo (approx 2lb) oxtail - cut into about 1 inch joints by the butcher (can be browned before adding if wanted)
    1 carrot
    2 potato
    1/2 capsicum
    2 large mushrooms
    1 onion
    2 garlic cloves
    250ml red wine
    200ml to 250ml beef stock

8 hrs on low

I have been googling today and have saved four other slow cooker oxtail recipes plus lamb neck recipes. I can't believe how cheap lamb necks are. Oxtail and lamb neck highly recommended for slow cookers.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The crockpot is perfect for soups/stews and shredded style meats. If you get one of the very wide ones you can use it for whole chickens and roasts.

Its also perfect for cooking beans. Quick soak, rinse, and throw them in there until done.

There are plenty of meals you can preplan, freeze, and throw in the crockpot. I like to separate out my veggies and meats, but plenty of people don't. I don't even do the whole meal. I sautee a bunch of onion/garlic, and then add those to a few different mixes.

Onion/garlic +
    Zucchini, red pepper, carrots (white bean soup with basil/parsley or thyme/rosemary)
    Green pepper, carrots, potatoes
    Squash and apple (look up squash/pumpkin curried soup. Its awesome)

Label, put them in freezer bags, and you're all ready.

When I buy meat I also portion it out into individual serving sizes too. In the morning I decide on the combo and spices and I want, and throw it in the crockpot. I second whoever said to put your veggies in a few hours before serving, but I've had success starting off with defrosted meat, frozen veggies, and cold water. My crock pot cooks a little on the hot side, so you'll have to test yours out.

Have fun!
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I make 15 bean soup in mine all the time, comes out great. Also slow cook sauces or throw in a pork roast and make shredded pork. You can cook a whole chicken and it just falls off the bone. Take any cheap cut of beef and slow cook it tender. Nice to have supper ready when you get home.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I use mine to make just plain meat! I live alone, but it's way cheaper to buy meats in bulk. Rather than portioning them into single servings before freezing, I just cook the whole package at once, then freeze the precooked meat. It saves lazy me from having to cook every night :)

Chicken- either BL/SL breasts or thighs, can of low sodium brother, low heat all day
    Pork chops: orange juice and tomato sauce, low all day
    Pork roast: water/broth, liquid smoke, garlic, paprika. Low all day, shred when done. Instant pulled pork.
    cheap steaks: slice thin, pineapple juice, brown sugar and soy. low 4-6 hours. Perfect base for any Asian dish.