Low carb, calories, cheat meals, and managing time

Options
So, I did low carb dieting last summer and lost 30 pounds. It was great until school started back up and I gained all of the weight back and more! This summer, I really want to buckle down and make the change. I kept reading that I should watch my calorie intake as well as monitor my carbohydrates if I wanted to lose weight. Now I've been eating about or under 30g of carbs a day with a 1,200 calorie limit. I've lost almost 15 pounds, too! However, I am hungry all of the time! When I was on low carb last summer, I don't remember being this hungry after the first week, and I've been doing this for two and a half weeks now. Should I keep watching my calories with low carb or just stick to watching my carbs? I'm also indecisive on whether I should have a cheat meal every 2 weeks on low carb. Either way, I can't keep feeling this hungry, it just makes me want to eat everything in sight, and that's definitely not healthy. Also, how do you maintain a healthy lifestyle when caught up with school/work. I don't want to start junior year and gain all of this weight back! I try to exercise daily, but that's all difficult when I'm hungry all of the time. Any advice would help me greatly! Thank you for taking the time to read this. :)

Replies

• GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The majority of people here will just tell you to count your calories and eat at a deficit. I however accept the science literature showing that carbohydrates make many of us fat (they are also most abundant in high-cal, nutrient-bankrupt food). Most people who go low carb generally don't feel as hungry so I wonder if you are being too restrictive with the volume of food you are eating. 1,200 calories may be too aggressive of a deficit for a teenager.

When going low carb, don't make the mistake of cutting out non-starchy vegetables. These provide fiber and bulk to meals that could help a lot with satiety. Try incorporating green vegetables and protein + fat into every meal you eat. You should be able to consume fewer calories in addition to being low-carb and feeling full.

Tips aside, I hope you don't treat weight loss as trying to drop weight as fast as you can. Yo-yo dieting and not being very serious with your eating habits leads to unsustainable changes. Stress, life, and all of that affects us at any time and if you don't work on the skills to deal with that, you are looking at likely gaining weight back.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I think there's a danger in mixing 2 approaches.

You've done low-carb before, with success. So you could try that again. If that's an Atkins type/ ketosis based method then a cheat meal might be dangerous.

OR you could just monitor calories. Keep your carbs at a level that your body is comfortable with, but not so low that you're in ketosis. Under that approach a cheat meal now and again does no harm.

Exercise is a great addition to your lifestyle, and counter-intuitively it might give you MORE energy. But its role in weight loss is minimal.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Wow so much nonsense in two replies who thought it possible?' So to did lie carb before and gained all the weight back so why do you think this will be different?

Maybe have a look at the link if you want to lose weight and keep it off

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary. I think 30 is low, unless you're going for ketosis. But ketosis is a balance of carb/fat/protein.

As a diabetic, I keep my carbs under 100. And a carb is always mixed with a protein and a fat. And I'm 1200/day. I'm rarely hungry and am losing consistently.

So, without seeing your diary, if you're always hungry, my guess is that something is off with your combinations.
  • taylarfreeman
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't realize that it was private. Please keep in mind that I am new to this, so there are days when I forget to log a meal or a whole day that isn't logged. :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    You've done low-carb before, with success.

If someone regains all the weight plus more when they stop eating a certain way, I wouldn't call that a "success". Doing the exact same program again will most likely result in the weight being regained once again when the 'diet' ends.

OP, how about you set your MFP account to lose 1 lb per week. Count calories, weigh and measure your food, eat foods you enjoy, (including carbs) and eat back exercise calories.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options

If someone regains all the weight plus more when they stop eating a certain way, I wouldn't call that a "success". Doing the exact same program again will most likely result in the weight being regained once again when the 'diet' ends.

OP, how about you set your MFP account to lose 1 lb per week. Count calories, weigh and measure your food, eat foods you enjoy, (including carbs) and eat back exercise calories.

^ this and also losing weight isn't just about getting to your goal it's also about staying at your goal. When you get there you need to recalculate your maintenance calories and continue to monitor them
  • kikityme
    Options
    Try logging religiously for a bit, it will help you see what's happening. I know I CANNOT skip breakfast, partly cause I have to take medication and partly because I'm (now) starving in the morning when I never used to be.

Also, I'd add fibre to your macros (I forget how to do it, but it's somewhere near where you unlocked your diary.) I count net carbs-which is carb minus fibre = net carb.

There are many many MANY anti low-carb no food left behind people here. I know it works for me, and I know it's sustainable for me.

Honestly, I'm not knocking your choices whatsoever, but you might consider raising your carbs a bit. If you're starving, it's either mental or something isn't working for you that used to.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Definitely this!

Log your food accurately and honestly. Go for 80% good choices the other 20% don't worry so much about. I eat lots of delicious food and have consistently lost. Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit: Most people do not need to eat 1200 calories to lose.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Log your food accurately and honestly this thread will help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • hovis153
    hovis153 Posts: 6
    Options
    I do very well on eating low carbs, I feel better, function very well, clearer headed, better tempered. Having lost 9 stone with 30lbs to go, I have not gained any back. It has taken me a few years and I have STS for weeks on end but lost inches so I just plugged away, with no time limit. I have a family that fits in with what I eat, I just add extra carbs to their meals in the form of more rice, pasta, potatoes and bread.

I recently had a tummy tuck to remove the excess skin and I am having my arms done at the end of August and then legs sometime after that.

I know that low carb is not for everyone, in the same way WW & SW are not for everyone and some people prefer the discipline of counting calories. I have never had any knock backs over my eating lifestyle choice but I also do not publicize what I am eating, unless asked.

Have a look at the Harcombe diet. It is not quite so strict as Atkins, the first five days (phase 1) are limiting but very do able. Then, from phase 2 & 3, you do not mix fat meals (meat/fish based meals) with carbs. However, there is a wide range of foods you can eat with either fat or carb meals. It is not carb days or fat days, it is meals (you can have a day which are all fat meals).

http://theharcombediet.com/assets/downloads/pdfs/fats_and_carbs.pdf

It may not be for you on the other hand it may just suit your life style better. No need to buy books at this stage, there is plenty of information on line to get you going. There is no counting carbs, fat or protein, need to weigh brown rice dry or porridge oats.

However, like any eating plan to lose weight you have to think of the rules that govern the eating plan and whether you can adhere to them, probably for life.
  • Holly_k88
    Holly_k88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ive looked at your diary - hope you don't mind :)
    You don't eat nowhere near enough fat to keep you satiated, thats where the hunger comes from id suggest upping that.
    Im low carb, I eat less than 20g a day and hardly ever go above 1200 - I eat a lot of fat. I know everyone is different but its worth a try.
    you can look at my diary if it will help to get an idea x
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hunger is the key.

Naturally thin people have learned to live with an empty stomach and delay their gratification.

Try getting up in the morning and going about your business without eating anything for a few hours.

Then eat around 11 or 12- but eat pretty much what you want as a reward.

Keep it up for a few days and you might be surprised.

Most of what we think of as hunger is simply learned behavior linked to a stomach that is empty.

The stomach should be empty most of the time. In fact, you can eat NOTHING AT ALL for weeks and do just fine physiologically, as long as you drink water.

Not that I recommend that.

Don't let the "Gotta eat breakfast!" crowd get to you. They do not know what they are talking about.

Tell us more about "naturally thin" people
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Definitely this!

Log your food accurately and honestly. Go for 80% good choices the other 20% don't worry so much about. I eat lots of delicious food and have consistently lost. Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit: Most people do not need to eat 1200 calories to lose.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This! These links are some of the best information you can pick up. Ten years ago, I did Adkins with the same result - lost a lot and gained all plus when I quit due to work demands. Three years ago, I started tracking and exercising. I am down 45 pounds, rarely hungry and my body fat is lower than ever. Also, I work an ever age of 70 hours a week, but I find time for 3-4 vigorous hours of exercise. If it really matters, you will find a way. Best of luck, OP.
  • Holly_k88
    Holly_k88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Definitely this!

This! These links are some of the best information you can pick up. Ten years ago, I did Adkins with the same result - lost a lot and gained all plus when I quit due to work demands. Three years ago, I started tracking and exercising. I am down 45 pounds, rarely hungry and my body fat is lower than ever. Also, I work an ever age of 70 hours a week, but I find time for 3-4 vigorous hours of exercise. If it really matters, you will find a way. Best of luck, OP.

No matter what diet you do if you go back to old habits your bound to put weight back on, even with a calorie controlled diet. Just because its low carb isn't going to make it worse.
    I do think that you need to sustain a moderately low carb approach for life but not as drastic. If carbs are added back in slowly you are able to distinguish your allowance for maintenance. Its not a start then stop when you've lost the weight diet.
  • kikityme
    Options

Sure.

That is a facetious label, as all of us share the exact same set of genes that are responsible for energy metabolism.

But some of us ARE thin.

It is not due to genetic or metabolic differences.

Look at your thin friends closely and, if possible, get them to tell you what they eat and when.

I bet you will be surprised.

The obese seldom skip a meal. To the "naturally" thin, eating food is likely secondary to other concerns.

They have learned to deal with the "hunger" signals that drive the maladapted right to the refrigerator.

If you want to lose weight permanently and keep it off, you have to re-wire your brain to deal with an empty stomach, as well as low-normal levels of blood nutrients.

That is why all diet programs fail long-term which is five years out.

And if you can keep up a rigorous exercise routine for the rest of your life, God bless you. I don't have the time, and the older I get the more it hurts to exercise.

Dr. Hagan's "Breakfast: The Least Important Meal of the Day" says it all on the free Kindle pages. That's all you need.

*facepalm*

So every body is the same. That's ridiculous. I USED to skip meals ALL the time. I was a competitive swimmer, I was in university, I had two jobs. I had no time. I was/am obese. I was obeser then. My skinny friends aren't necessarily my healthy friends. Some of them eat like maniacs. Some live on cigarettes and diet coke.

Some of my genetics are from my Aboriginal mother. Some are from my Polish grandfather. Some are all mine. And some are just like yours.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

No matter what diet you do if you go back to old habits your bound to put weight back on, even with a calorie controlled diet. Just because its low carb isn't going to make it worse.

Exactly what I was going to post. Don't blame the diet, blame the person who went back to the same bad habits that got them overweight in the 1st place. It's a lifestyle change, not a temporary thing.
  • KetoToThin
    KetoToThin Posts: 185
    Options
    Wow so much nonsense in two replies who thought it possible?' So to did lie carb before and gained all the weight back so why do you think this will be different?

Maybe have a look at the link if you want to lose weight and keep it off

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

Low Carb has nothing to do with why you gained the weight back.

You think your body knows that you did low carb vs low fat vs whatever else?

You gained the weight back, as did I, as did she, as did 95% of dieters, because we went back to our old way of eating.

None of us gained our weight back because we lost on low carb then went to a balanced diet that hit our macros.

THE KEY TO LOW CARB is to use it to drop weight rapidly, then switch to a balanced diet to hit your macros for maintenance.