Protein powders, when to use

Options
zorbaru
zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
I have been thinking about using some protein powders to help up my protein and stop me snacking on junk, esp late at night.

so i was wondering what people think is the best way to use them.

a) post workout
b) pre workou
or
c) meal replacement

or any combination of the above.

my plan was to use them post work out since i work out at night time and when i get home i tend to pig out on all kinds of crap. but i also thought perhaps on the days i dont work out i could use them as a breakfast replacement.

thoughts?

Replies

• lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You can literally use them whenever. After a work out is great. I sometimes do them before, sometimes replacing a snack....I like to keep options open so I don't get bored always forcing myself to have it at the same times. I wouldn't replace a meal with it unless its a very carb heavy protein.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Sorry I missed part of your question....Technically protein right after a work out will help a bit more with muscle recovery, but in terms of growth or metabolism its going to be your overall protein count for the day that matters, not so much when you drink it
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Post or pre workout is a good time. The only advice I have is to avoid having one just before bed as whey is a fast absorbing protein, so its not the best to have before sleeping.
  • mselihar
    mselihar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is the best for muscle repair. Period. Gold Standard is a great choice. The 5g of glutamine and 5g of bcaas (both aid in recovery) are an added benefit. Whey breaks down and activates fast - take within 30 minutes of completing HIIT.

Casein protein is a slowly digesting protein which is great for curbing late night hunger and keeping you satisfied until the morning. 1/3-1/2 cup of cottage cheese before bed. Better than supplements since the fats in cottage cheese will also help your joints recover.

I just mix 1 scoop with 6 oz of water - blends easily (no lumping) and tastes great. Even better with whole milk but with 1350 you have to save those calories.
  • benjib84
    benjib84 Posts: 125
    Options
    Im still new to it but im finding preworkout and the post work out - whey protein.
    Then later at night 100% casein shake. This is absorbed slower so continues to help with build and repair overnight.

I wouldnt suggest them as meal replacements though.

Also with the protein shakes im getting on better with the pure stuff as opposed to the all in one complexes.

hope this helps
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Post or pre workout is a good time. The only advice I have is to avoid having one just before bed as whey is a fast absorbing protein, so its not the best to have before sleeping.

What? Why avoid before bed? Broscience much...

There is nothing magical about protein powder. If you can't get all your protein requirements in from whole foods, whey protein is a fast and cheap alternative. Unless you are an elite competitive athlete, nutrient timing is irrelevant. For muscle building, the "30 minute anabolic window" is a myth. Just hit your numbers by the end of the day. I take mine right before bed after my workout, but that's just because I'm too lazy to cook at that time.

And for those raving about casien, you're just wasting money. The supplement industry has you brainwashed that you need a slow digesting protein before bed so that you don't go catabolic at night. Such bs.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder daily at various times but ALWAYS right after a workout since that is the time your body best absorbs/most needs it....Gold Standard Whey is the best by far IMHO because you can easily mix it in a little water and down it......you don't have to guzzle a bunch of unnecessary calories making a big shake....I don't think of it as a meal replacement but rather supplemental protein.
  • shadygardener
    shadygardener Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a question about protein powder too. I used to really like the one by Jillian Michaels because it was high protein but low calorie. Now I can't find it anywhere! What are your suggestions for me as a protein powder. I need weight loss instead of bulking up.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

There is nothing magical about protein powder. If you can't get all your protein requirements in from whole foods, whey protein is a fast and cheap alternative. Unless you are an elite competitive athlete, nutrient timing is irrelevant. For muscle building, the "30 minute anabolic window" is a myth. Just hit your numbers by the end of the day. I take mine right before bed after my workout, but that's just because I'm too lazy to cook at that time.

And for those raving about casien, you're just wasting money. The supplement industry has you brainwashed that you need a slow digesting protein before bed so that you don't go catabolic at night. Such bs.

This^^^^ Take whenever you want! :smile:
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have a question about protein powder too. I used to really like the one by Jillian Michaels because it was high protein but low calorie. Now I can't find it anywhere! What are your suggestions for me as a protein powder. I need weight loss instead of bulking up.

As a woman, you won't builk up unless you're consuming huge amounts of calories, so don't even think about that.
  • mselihar
    mselihar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    After workouts drink low fat chocolate milk - perfect (ideal) 4:1 carb:protein ratio.

Powders are supplements - not meals.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

This. Doesn't matter when you take it.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    so the consensus is pretty much post workout. which is what i planned to do. im getting 100% WPI and mixing it in 200ml milk.

im always within my calorie goals when i go to the gym so mixing with milk is no issue.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Protein powder is nothing more than food.

Doesn't matter when you consume it, use it to hit your protein goals.