feeling disheartened

Options
So today is exactly two weeks since I began taking this seriously.

When I began I weighed 216lbs - today I weigh 222lbs!

I forgot to take measurements when I started I'll do that today though.

I've worked out twice a day only had two days off.

I generally walk on my treadmill I do 5 minutes on 0 (2.5) then 5 minutes incline level 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 same speed and 10 minutes cool down on zero. I then either do kettlebells with my husband or insanity with him on an evening.

Well today I stepped on the scale and I am feeling rubbish I've put a lot of hard work in. Stopped drinking soda (coke) and I am eating as clean as I can and I'm still putting on weight.

I'm beginning to think this isn't worth it :(

Replies

• mollymcdonald0
    mollymcdonald0 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Give it more time, don't give up! I'm on 9 weeks & my weight goes up and down all the time
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Weight gain or loss is all about the calories. The exercise results are just the bonus you get with weight loss. You can work out every day but if you're over eating, even if it's clean eating, you're going to gain weight. I can't see your diary so I can't say you are in fact doing this but... It's super important to have a deficit and weigh/measure your foods.

Don't give up, it's a process... baby steps.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    as the above user said, exercise is a great start but it is much easier to abstain from eating a calorie than to burn it off.

eating clean alone wont make you lose weight, you need to count calories so you know you arent overeating still. you can still gain fat off of vegetables alone
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear, so take measurements & photos, too.

Open your diary for personalized advice.

Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh everything you eat—even packaged foods.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    give it more time.. you probably weren't eating right before and skipping meals, etc. Your body is making some happy adjustments to getting nutrients and exercise. Just keep at it and stay within your calories and track everyday. drink lots of water too.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Weight gain or loss is all about the calories. The exercise results are just the bonus you get with weight loss. You can work out every day but if you're over eating, even if it's clean eating, you're going to gain weight. I can't see your diary so I can't say you are in fact doing this but... It's super important to have a deficit and weigh/measure your foods.

Don't give up, it's a process... baby steps.

this is so very true. its really all about the caloreis you are consuming. weight and measure what you eat and track what you eat every single day.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    2 weeks in - it's disheartening, but as others have said, it's too early to start judging results. Here is what I have learned and what worked to help me lose 100 pounds in 2 years:

In order to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.

In order to know if you're in a calorie deficit, you have to weigh (with a scale)/measure/log your food- every bite/every day.

Exercise is important to health, but not necessary to lose weight. Find something you enjoy and do it consistently.

Eat foods you like, make healthy choices along the way, learn portion control/moderation

Meet your calorie deficit, then work on meeting your macros (protein, fat, carbs)

Have PATIENCE and don't quit.
  • awomaninsane
    awomaninsane Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What ever you do, do not give up.

When i started on my journey the scales did not change for about 6 weeks but then the weight came off weekly. I know how frustrating it is when you work hard and don't see instant same day results, but keep at it and you soon will see them. Also, for me, depending on what time of the month it is i can easily be 3-4lbs heavier than normal.
  • meparker757
    meparker757 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Anything worth while takes time. Hang in there, you will see results.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You'd remember eating ~20,000 calories above maintenance, so you're probably dealing with some water weight. Eating clean and quitting full sugar soda is not a magic bullet to weight loss. It's as simple as cals in and cals out. Are you logging? Any chance you'd open your diary?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    well I have been doing this for 3 years and a half....2 weeks is nothing. The scale is just one of the tools I use to see if what I am doing work. For exemple today, I am up 2 pounds, but down 1 inch at my thighs.

Second, to gain one pound of fat, you have to eat an extra 3500 calories....did you eat that much? I don't think so.

Finally, weight and measure your food as precisely as you can......it will show you where unexpected high calories but clean food.

Good luck
  • hbmayes
    hbmayes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I first start a new exercise that results in soreness, I often have a temporary weight gain that I attribute to some water retention where I am sore and swollen. When I keep with it, the muscle grows, I feel better in my body, and the water is released.

I am finally feeling pretty fit, and am happily surprised how much better I feel in my body. Stick with it! (and, totally, logging everything, and using scale to ensure accuracy, really helps. If I know I have to log the bar of chocolate, I am so much less likely to eat the whole bar!).
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Your weight on the scale on any given day is not an accurate show of what you "actually weigh" ( a fairly meaningless term), as
    your weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs or more for a variety of reasons (water retention, food and waste in the stomach and intestines, etc). For example the water in a full bladder weighs over 1 pound on its own. So my recommendation to everybody is this: weigh daily and use an app like WeightTracker or a Google spreadsheet to track your 5 or 7 day rolling average.

Here is a link to a Google Doc that I made that tracks 3 and 7 day rolling average and charts the progress.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmDRH8nzcubodFhQWU1wb0toNmR4M1BOU3ZBUldkWmc&usp=sharing

You should, hopefully, see a trend of loss even if on any given day your weight fluctuates by a few pounds, but more data points will get you a more accurate estimate of your weight, and will show you if you are actually losing or not.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Give it a few more weeks. Your cycle will cause fluxuations in water retention that will look like a gain on the scale, but that doesn't actually mean you gained any weight. At least give 6 to 8 weeks. It just doesn't happen overnight.
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Is today the only day you've weighed? Weight fluctuates a lot based on many factors. For me, the biggest one is sodium - if I have a sodium-heavy meal the day before, my weight the next day will be very high due to the water my body has retained. I know most people here don't recommend this, but I like to weigh myself every day so I get a full picture of exactly what's happening to my body, though I try to log that weight once every couple of days. I need to only log it once a week but ... well, I'll get there.
  • queenierz
    queenierz Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hey there! It is possible you might be heavier from muscles! And yes, two week is just the beginning. Losing weight needs patience... I was too rushed on losing weight too last year. You need more time to see the actual results!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    So today is exactly two weeks since I began taking this seriously.

When I began I weighed 216lbs - today I weigh 222lbs!

I forgot to take measurements when I started I'll do that today though.

I've worked out twice a day only had two days off.

I generally walk on my treadmill I do 5 minutes on 0 (2.5) then 5 minutes incline level 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 same speed and 10 minutes cool down on zero. I then either do kettlebells with my husband or insanity with him on an evening.

Well today I stepped on the scale and I am feeling rubbish I've put a lot of hard work in. Stopped drinking soda (coke) and I am eating as clean as I can and I'm still putting on weight.

I'm beginning to think this isn't worth it :(

Nowhere in this post do you mention the amount of calories you are eating per day. That is the problem.
  • mummyjonno
    mummyjonno Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I realise it's only two weeks, I am 100lbs ish overweight so I guess I expected to see something, anything change but I haven't in a positive sense. I will carry on anyway because that's all I can do.

I am always under target although I tend to log in a book rather than on the site although I do use the site to gage how many calories per portion of whatever. I am currently eating between 1600-1700 per day and that's not including any working out I do. According to my hrm which is programmed with my gender, height, weight my morning incline is around 400-500 and the kettlebells or insanity around 350 mark.
  • nurseadair
    nurseadair Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Do you think it may be because you've burnt off the fat but replaced it with muscle which weighs more?
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    What ever you do, do not give up.

^This.