is drinking the 8 glasses of water really important?

Options
I was just wondering as I am finding it hard to have 8 glasses of water a day if it is really important? Can you have Crystal Light instead?

Replies

• ninjanewby
    Options
    Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase!

And an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits!

Here's the reason why...

The kidneys cannot function properly without enough water. When they do not work to capacity, some of their load is dumped on the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But if the liver has to do some of the kidney's work, it cannot work at full throttle.

As a result, it metabolizes less fat... more fat remains stored in the body and weight loss stops!

Drinking an adequate amount of water every day is the best treatment for fluid retention. But when your body is given less water than it needs... it perceives the shortage as a threat to survival and will begin to retain every drop. Water reserves are stored in extra-cellular spaces (outside the cells). This water can show up as swollen feet, hands and legs.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I cannot stress the importance of actually drinking your 8 glasses of water a day! Your body is over 70% water and it needs to be replenished during the day to keep everything in balance. Crystal light is fine (make sure you add those 5 or so calories though) but coffee and sodas act as dehydrating agents so those do not count towards your water tally. I find that having a water bottle with a straw (camelbak is my fav) on my desk right in the edge of my computer screen encourages me to drink more since I'm aware that the bottle is there. The down side if this is all the bathroom breaks (I guess this encourages you to walk around during the day). Also, some water bottles are more than one "glass"

Happy Hydrating!
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You should drink at least 8 glasses of water. I've heard half your body weight in ounces of water per day. So, I weigh 200 lbs, so I need 100 oz. or 12.5 glasses of water per day.

I would say to shoot for at least half pure water. Maybe try to put orange, lemon or lime slices to flavor the water??
  • kellyrene
    Options
    Thanks!!! :)
  • Thorneapple
    Options
    Yes getting in 8 glasses is important. It is important to stay hydrated, especially if you are exercising regularly. Believe it or not, too little water can cause your body to actually retain fluids. Getting plenty of water also helps to flush some the the excess sodium from your body. If it helps to add crystal light, go for it. But ideally I'd say make at least half of your water intake plain water.
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    Yes, what ^they^ said. The problem with replacing water with Crystal Light is that Crystal Light isn't exactly natural, ya know? It's yummy, but it's not water. Try adding some lemon or lime juice to your water, or cucumbers!
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad i really struggle with the 8 glasses. To the point of I had to get a 64oz jug and fill it up and bring it to work (i usually end up failing over the weekend, i barely drink plain water) At work though i try to drink it plain like a sip every 5 mins or something but I usually end up adding a pack of crystal light to it, but i like crystal light really diluted! (Green tea peach mango metabolism) try that.:flowerforyou:
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I think its the most important. Especially if your using aspartame which is in crystal light. Most schools of thought say no other beverages until you consume your water for the day.
  • kellyrene
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am finding being on mat leave and on the go all the time that it is hard to drink that much. I can usually drink 2 bottles when I am boxing but during the day its just hard. Good advice on the lemon and lime though, I will def try it!!! Thanks for all the support as I am new on here and hoping to have a healthier 2011, starting off with no smoking for 13 days now and 12 days of eating healthy!!!
  • simplyxaddicted
    simplyxaddicted Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    just think of it this way 8 glasses of .....- 8 ounces of water is what we are supposed to be having thats only 2 bottles of water! :)
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Absolutely! I drink 12 glasses a day and if I quit, my weight loss stalls.
  • boymomthree
    boymomthree Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is what I have found that works for me, a water hater. I know most people say to get a gigantor jug
    and fill that up for their entire daily intake. It's overwhelming for me to look at that much water all at once!
    Most home drinking glasses are 16oz and much more doable in my mind. One glass downed and there
    is 2 of my required glasses out of the way. Straws seem to help a lot of people as well. I also have been
    starting out a meal with a small looking 8oz glass before I eat and this helps me eat far less. Doing these
    things has gotten me up to about 12 cups a day. Let's face it you need 8oz just for your body to function
    properly which doesn't take into account workouts, other strenuous activities and living in a dry climate. A
    helpful tip my doctor gave me was to divide your body weight in half and drink that amount in ounces.
    (Ex: 152lbs in half is 76. That should be the minimum.)

Hope this helps!
  • kellyrene
    Options
    Thanks thats very helpful!!
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It is so important! What I do is I buy the ReaLemon juice bottles and just squirt it in my water... taste almost like lemonade and its no calories :)
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am wondering though how every body can require 8 glasses...does your weight and frame factor into it? For instance is someone that is 100lbs going to require the same amount of water as someone at 400lbs?
  • boymomthree
    Options
    Please see my post a couple above yours. The docotr and nutritionist rule of thumb is
    to drink your body weight divided in two in ounces. (ex: 152lbs in half is 76 so that person
    should be drinking no less than 76oz a day). But this is just the minimum. It does not take
    in to account hydration during workouts, stenuous activities or dry climate.
    There is a too much as well but I just answered the question you had for us ;)
  • boymomthree
    Options
    I also wanted to add this about adding citrus. While it is good tasting and gives you a little C
    watch out for tooth enamel decay from the acid. My dentist told me to knock it off, that water is
    the way it is for a reason. ;D
  • Jazziemay
    Jazziemay Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    guess that means tea is out too
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase!

And an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits!

Here's the reason why...

The kidneys cannot function properly without enough water. When they do not work to capacity, some of their load is dumped on the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But if the liver has to do some of the kidney's work, it cannot work at full throttle.

As a result, it metabolizes less fat... more fat remains stored in the body and weight loss stops!

Drinking an adequate amount of water every day is the best treatment for fluid retention. But when your body is given less water than it needs... it perceives the shortage as a threat to survival and will begin to retain every drop. Water reserves are stored in extra-cellular spaces (outside the cells). This water can show up as swollen feet, hands and legs.

Well said.... Water also carries away the toxins that are released from burning fat. Insufficient water during exercise and after allows for the toxins to be reabsorbed into other fat cells.

Good Ahh-nold quote!
  • donbogi
    donbogi Posts: 175
    Options
    I recently had some numbness in my right foot so I went to the doctor. He ordered xrays and the root cause of my foot woes was a pinched nerve in my S2 bone along with a little bit of calcium deposits (arthritis) in that area of my spine. He explained the importance of water consumption and how it helps remove bits of calcium deposits in the body.

So, Iwill make sure to drink 8 - 10 glasses of water a day. Doctor's orders!

Cheers and good health to you!
    Don